• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Guild Wars 2] Anyone Still Playing?

Keal

Drifting in the abstract
Validated User
To be perfectly honest, once I obtained a PS4, the only time I turned on my computer was for my daughter to use for her schoolwork. But the strangest thing happened to me out of the blue the other day: I received an email from ArenaNet, the company that makes GW2, reminding me that the "Heart of Thorns" expansion that I had purchased was receiving an update. Made curious by this, I updated the files, deleted all of my old characters (so as to start fresh and see the world anew), and began playing. I've been sent an item - much like many games do, regardless of computer or platform, to automatically update my (a) character to level X (in this case, 80).

But here's the thing... I've never gotten close to the level cap before. Ever. In fact, here's another thing: I've done all of the content on my own, just running around and seeing the world and cities for what they are. I've never grouped with anyone but one other person. I've never run an instance. I've never taken on any end-game content whatsoever.

So, with all that being said, is there anyone still playing in the low-to-mid-range game? Is anyone still playing this game at all?

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
To be perfectly honest, once I obtained a PS4, the only time I turned on my computer was for my daughter to use for her schoolwork. But the strangest thing happened to me out of the blue the other day: I received an email from ArenaNet, the company that makes GW2, reminding me that the "Heart of Thorns" expansion that I had purchased was receiving an update. Made curious by this, I updated the files, deleted all of my old characters (so as to start fresh and see the world anew), and began playing. I've been sent an item - much like many games do, regardless of computer or platform, to automatically update my (a) character to level X (in this case, 80).

But here's the thing... I've never gotten close to the level cap before. Ever. In fact, here's another thing: I've done all of the content on my own, just running around and seeing the world and cities for what they are. I've never grouped with anyone but one other person. I've never run an instance. I've never taken on any end-game content whatsoever.

So, with all that being said, is there anyone still playing in the low-to-mid-range game? Is anyone still playing this game at all?
I am, but I've been part of my own guild since GW1. I've never played with any of the RPG.net crowd. And my lowest level characters are all in the 50 area, and they're mules. All my other characters are level 80.

Alik

not a thief
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I play it every so often. Guild Wars 1 & 2 are the only MMOs I really like. GW2 did a fantastic job of making seeing other players a pleasant experience instead of the usual "stop stealing my kills" from days of old.

There's a lot of instanced content for small groups that ranges from meh to great, and the end-game has some map-wide events that need people to cooperate for them to succeed. They're pretty fun. The assault on the dragon at the end of Heart of Thorns is pretty fantastic when it goes well. The whole map (100 or so people?) split into three groups to attack the dragon from three angles. There's a bunch of events and challenges to do along the way. And unlike more traditional MMOs, you don't need a formal guild or schedule to do it. Just show up, look for commanders, and play.

Armmeggedon

Mutant Octopus
Validated User
Been playing a lot lately, but all my characters are at 80...the good thing is that an 80 will be levelled down to the zone, so you don't have to find someone of your level to party with. I know theres a rpg.net guild, VGO (Vagabonds, Grifters, and Orphans)...I'm playing with friends from another guild, but there are several rpgnetians playing.

Alik

not a thief
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Been playing a lot lately, but all my characters are at 80...the good thing is that an 80 will be levelled down to the zone, so you don't have to find someone of your level to party with. I know theres a rpg.net guild, VGO (Vagabonds, Grifters, and Orphans)...I'm playing with friends from another guild, but there are several rpgnetians playing.
The downscaling is a great idea, though it usually doesn't downscale you hard enough for low level areas to be challenging. I think people complained that they couldn't power through stuff at high level. Personally I'd rather they just get rid of levels and have it wholly be action-based and horizontal growth (unlock new skills to replace old ones, for ex)

One problem I had with the game was it wasn't super great for playing with friends at low level. You can play next to your friends, but it encourages wandering off to whatever strikes your fancy. I'd want to go do a nearby event, but they wanted to finish a heart task, and then we weren't playing with each other anymore really.

Keal

Drifting in the abstract
Validated User
I'm actually burning through the levels, and I'm knocking on level 40 already. Hopefully I can get up with some skilled folks soon!

Vran Du

Skinner Rat
Validated User
I'm actually burning through the levels, and I'm knocking on level 40 already. Hopefully I can get up with some skilled folks soon!
May I suggest you do the Personal Stories? They'll reward you with a bunch of stuff, but what's important are the Black Lion Keys at level 10, which you probably already did, and level 40 for "Setting the stage" . It's a gamble, but you could get something that'll sell for a good price at the Auction House. Plus you will get 2 bags of tier 6 rare crafting materials this week, to either keep for the future, or sell for the present ;)

Keal

Drifting in the abstract
Validated User
Yeah, I'm in a nebulous realm of being ALMOST level 40, so I can tell there's more for me to do, but right now they just send me from zone to zone with advice as to where I should go next with a "blue portal" on the map hinting where I should pass through.

EvoKB

Validated User
I still play all the time. It was probably a mistake deleting the old characters, if you have owned the game for a while, they would all have birthday gifts, which lately have been rather expensive dyes. Most of my time now is running events with the guild I joined(HOT meta, tequatl, and triple trouble), T4 fractals, and the new living story content. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have in game. My main character is in my sig.

Randall

Validated User
I got a daughter, and HoT was launching more or less at that date, so the few moments I could login everyone was at the new hot content. I didn't upgraded at that time because the whole "you need to buy the game again instead of an add-on/upgrade" looked really odd and very, very "we don't like existing players anymore, we just want new blood", the few times we could login (I play with wife, it's "our" game) were not enough to justify buying two copies.

Maybe we get it at the next sale once daughter starts playing alone and telling us to not enter her room, at that future time probably there are two more non-expansions.

Top Bottom