• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Guild Wars 2] Anyone Still Playing?

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I'm currently on exotic berserker gear, working on crafting ascended, and I'm mostly copying an online build. I feel my issues are more player skill failure on my part. When I try to melee against some boss enemies I end up knocked down at their feet often soon to be dead in a AoE field I failed to recognise and when I go ranged then we'll all be dead with "use cc..." in chat. Although he doesn't have the CC bar which is causing my dilemma, today's Tequatl was a personal failure to my melee skills and I had to WP twice in the first phase.
It still happens to me. For the big bosses you can usually hang back for a few seconds and swap out a set of weapons for a ranged option and then engage. I usually take on Teq daily as well and on the occasion when I try to get into melee range, even with my Mirage which has enough evasion to dodge sunlight, I still wind up having to WP a couple of times as well, before I give up my dillusions and go to my ranged weapon.

For a profession like the Warrior which is even more melee oriented it's probably a better idea to go to the boats and defend the turrets. Map meta bosses do a ton of damage by design. I suppose if you had a raid team around you might be able to face tank it's damage, but you're not going to find that in open world boss fights. I usually take classes that are ranged, Hammer Herald, Shortbow Renegade, Greatsword Chrono. I do occasionally bring my Weaver, but I make a point of going with the Staff instead of the usual Sword/Dagger.

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
For a profession like the Warrior
Warriors have thick armor, big health pool and their open world builds can provide a lot of sustain at the cost of only some dps. You may not have a raid team keeping you alive, but you usually have tons of other people in the melee spot blasting fields and spamming boons and heals. The problem is the one-shot mechanics against which even tanky WvW builds only give you a 1 margin of error (and sometimes you die just because turrets don't do their job).

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Warriors have thick armor, big health pool and their open world builds can provide a lot of sustain at the cost of only some dps. You may not have a raid team keeping you alive, but you usually have tons of other people in the melee spot blasting fields and spamming boons and heals. The problem is the one-shot mechanics against which even tanky WvW builds only give you a 1 margin of error (and sometimes you die just because turrets don't do their job).
I main Guardian so I know what heavy armour is like. They have more defenses to make up for the smaller health pool and I know it pretty well by this point. My usual daily starts with Teq & then Pat. I usually take someone else for these fights as its generally not worth the effort of going in face tanking them.

Like, yeah you can build a Warrior to survive these fights, but it's generally easier to hang back with a Chrono and spam Phantasmal Berserker and Well of Calamity or a Revenant spam Hammer 2.

Morty

Validated User
In a bit of a blast from the past, I bought Nightfall while it was 50% off. I never did play it when I played GW1, but then I never was very good at GW1 in general. It's kind of weird to run around and see things I recognize from Path of Fire, only different. Like Jacarandas and Ibogas. At least heroes should make it a bit easier to proceed through the campaign despite so few people playing it - they seem less useless than henchmen. I'm playing a Dervish myself.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
In a bit of a blast from the past, I bought Nightfall while it was 50% off. I never did play it when I played GW1, but then I never was very good at GW1 in general. It's kind of weird to run around and see things I recognize from Path of Fire, only different. Like Jacarandas and Ibogas. At least heroes should make it a bit easier to proceed through the campaign despite so few people playing it - they seem less useless than henchmen. I'm playing a Dervish myself.
Dervish is a solid class and Heroes help a ton. Actually, 7 heroes can trivialize content that required full 8-man squads in other content so that will help with solo'ing. Paragons were also fun with the IMBA build as it could provide a ton of damage and damage mitigation for the party, but that needed some PvE skills that would probably take quite a while to grind up now. Nightfall also added a lot for old builds like Minion Master with the skill Jagged Bones. It is fun to see the old vs. the new. I hope you have fun.

Morty

Validated User
Dervish is a solid class and Heroes help a ton. Actually, 7 heroes can trivialize content that required full 8-man squads in other content so that will help with solo'ing. Paragons were also fun with the IMBA build as it could provide a ton of damage and damage mitigation for the party, but that needed some PvE skills that would probably take quite a while to grind up now. Nightfall also added a lot for old builds like Minion Master with the skill Jagged Bones. It is fun to see the old vs. the new. I hope you have fun.
That's good to hear. I have a level 20 Mesmer whom I made all those years ago, but I rather doubt my ability to finish the Prophecies campaign with henchmen. He's currently in Abaddon's Mouth. My old warrior is in the Shiverpeaks, but the henchmen are pretty unhelpful there too.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
That's good to hear. I have a level 20 Mesmer whom I made all those years ago, but I rather doubt my ability to finish the Prophecies campaign with henchmen. He's currently in Abaddon's Mouth. My old warrior is in the Shiverpeaks, but the henchmen are pretty unhelpful there too.
Those will help. The Heroes skills are the same as the ones you have unlocked, so you may have to run around to a few places unlocking skills to get the builds right, but just having one decent Hybrid Healing (ie both Healing & Protection skills) build will make a world of difference of playing through content.

It's been years since I've played GW1 so I've got no idea if things have changed. Having a couple of Healers, a few heavy spellcasters (Fire Ele), a MM, a support Necro with Blood is Power were what I normally ran. Also, either a Ranger (Broadhead Arrow & Epidemic to spread it around) or a Mesmer for interrupting.

Morty

Validated User
Doing some Yak's Bend quests with my level 12 warrior didn't go well. I was doing fine fighting minor Stone Summit encounters, but running into a bigger one, with two monks, wrecked me. I'll just stick to my dervish, at least until I remember how things work.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I was doing fine fighting minor Stone Summit encounters, but running into a bigger one, with two monks, wrecked me. I'll just stick to my dervish, at least until I remember how things work.
Kill the monks first. You always kill the monks first.

Top Bottom