• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Guild Wars 2] Anyone Still Playing?

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Wow, that brings back memories. I had a lot of fun in GW1.
I start with Factions in June 2006. Strange to think I may have more time played with GW2 than the original Guild Wars at this point. It was a lot of fun, although different than the sequel.

There was a lot more emphasis on builds and having skills that worked together...and then from there having builds that worked well together.

Morty

Validated User
That's sorta what I thought. I'd recommend taking both the ranger and the Mesmer with Dunkoro. You generally only need one melee type and as a Dervish you've got that covered. Guild Wars is sorta like Magic the Gathering. You need need the proper balance in all things, stats, build, gear, etc. If you just throw a bunch of skills on a bar you're going to have difficulties.

I'll take a look and see if I can find my basic hybrid Monk Heal build. It also helps to set a bunch of your Heroes secondary class to monk just to take Rebirth instead of Resurrection Signet. If you do need to bring disable Resurrection Signet disable it so they don't use it unnecessarily.

So the basic build is OwYT04nCxRjsRmJCEkxme6rTAA. (I think you can save a template, and that will make a file. Then you can just go that file and copy the codes into that file and you should be able to load them, although if you haven't played much you're probably missing a few skills).

Word of Healing, Dwayna's Kiss, Reversal of Fortune, Guardian, Glyph of Lesser Energy, Dismiss Condition, Cure Hex and Restore Life. 12 Healing Prayers, 10 Protection Prayers, 8 Divine Favour.

There's also this one OwYT043AZCZoSbj43xBcTb6jhAA. That's Glyph of Lesser Energy, Holy Haste, Dwayna's Kiss, Ethereal Light, Healing Ribbon, Dismiss Consition, Cure Hex & Unyielding Aura. 12 Healing, 12 Divine, 3 Prot. I think Unyielding Aura is harder to get a hold of, but it's a really good spell for res'ing.

This is an MM Build. OANEQTxW+5sUrC4B0Q9IgUV7EA. Mostly Jagged Bonus, but also has Protective Spirit, Aegis & Blood Ritual for Party Support. I can't seem to find my Blood is Power support Necro Build.

If you need help finding the skills let me know and perhaps I can help you run around picking them up.
I know you need carefully-crafted builds in GW1, but first I need to figure out what works with what. It's a pretty steep learning curve. I'll try those builds for Dunkoro, replace Koss with the ranger/mesmer and see what happens.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I know you need carefully-crafted builds in GW1, but first I need to figure out what works with what. It's a pretty steep learning curve. I'll try those builds for Dunkoro, replace Koss with the ranger/mesmer and see what happens.
Mostly? I know of some people that took an empty bar and managed to do THK when it was the hardest thing around. Not sure what other people had, but the game moved quite a bit from back then. Having a solid build definitely makes things easier, but I've forgotten most of the theory crafting involved. I remember that having low cooldown, low energy heals was important so that you usually had an option to make the red bars go up. That was one of the ways it was like magic. You wanted to have a decent mana curve so you can keep throwing out spells.

Adding Prots could help mitigate some of the damage, but correctly predicting when the tank was gonna get hit wasn't that easy. Well, other parts, like Hex/Condition heavy areas was just throw down those rare elites when the red bars were full of conditions or hexes. And that's just when I was doing the Healing. I don't know how the AI handles it. They are much better at Interrupting though, so you can you can also try adding some Mesmer Interrupts instead, specifically the ones that give you energy. I was more of a fan of Glyph of Lesser Energy was nice because you could cast it and then drop a couple of spells while your energy regenerates.

Throwing Aegis & Prot Spirit on the MM helps as when things are dying, they get tons of energy from Soul Reaping so they can afford to cast those high cost spells, and as a bonus, they also have Blood Ritual. Not as good as Blood is Power, but any extra energy is appreciated on the Healers. If you're having trouble killing things an MM might be quite helpful as all the minions will block things in and do lots of damage. If you have Prophecies you can try going across to Lion's Arch and just doing the quests to pick up Olias (necro hero) and then going back to Elona.

Last edited:

Morty

Validated User
In other news, looks like more elite specialization updates in GW2. Scapper and Chronomancer this time. Both are very welcome, but we'll see how they work out in practice. I guess I picked a good time to make a scrapper. Preparations instead of traps for thieves are a curious choice. I wonder what the reasoning was behind it. I know traps are popular for condition rangers, but I'm not sure about thieves.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I'll admit that when it comes to balance changes like this, I really only know one class well enough to make sense of it and that's the Guardian. Like I know it's traits and skills well enough to know what it will impact with what. Most of the other classes though? It's beyond me. I mostly feel like I need to leave it for days or weeks (if not months) before someone figures out what a decent build is and posts that somewhere that I can copy.

With that said, I'm not too happy with the changes to the Guardian. I dislike that extra bit of healing provided by Zealous Blade...even if I like the healing it gave less than the previous version. Getting 250 health back every 10 seconds or so just seems...pointless. Then there's Symbolic Avenger. It used to be anything in range of a Symbol took 10% more damage. Now you get 2% more damage for 15 seconds whenever one of your Symbols does damage to something and you can have up to 5 stacks of this and each stack will last that 15 seconds. So if you've got 5 stacks that's about to expire and you throw down a new symbol...those old stacks will just expire and you'll have to start from scratch again. I suppose it's possible that the added Power from Zealous Blade will make up for the damage lost to Symbolic Avenger. I'm not sure how the math works.

Morty

Validated User
On another note, I've checked the builds you suggested... and yeah, I don't have like a half of those skills. Though I'm not sure how hard they are to get. There's a separate NPC for hero skills. As for my "build", this is its code: OgGjkWrFbNiXp74dA/dfuX3rCA.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
On another note, I've checked the builds you suggested... and yeah, I don't have like a half of those skills. Though I'm not sure how hard they are to get. There's a separate NPC for hero skills. As for my "build", this is its code: OgGjkWrFbNiXp74dA/dfuX3rCA.
It might take a bit of coordinating but you should be able to hunt down most of the skills you need. You don't get many Hero Skill Points so that might be a limitation. The other thing is location. If you haven't played much you have to get to those trainers. The other option is to Ascend (progress far enough in the various stories) and then you can switch your secondary profession and unlock the skills. Once you have them unlocked then your Heroes can use them and well.

Also, I don't think the Elite Skills are available for the Hero Skill Trainers. You may have to visit those bosses to unlock those skills.

Do you have all three campaigns, ie Prophecies, Factions & Nightfall? And do you have Eye of the North? Some skills can be easier to pick up depending on which game it is.

Morty

Validated User
It might take a bit of coordinating but you should be able to hunt down most of the skills you need. You don't get many Hero Skill Points so that might be a limitation. The other thing is location. If you haven't played much you have to get to those trainers. The other option is to Ascend (progress far enough in the various stories) and then you can switch your secondary profession and unlock the skills. Once you have them unlocked then your Heroes can use them and well.

Also, I don't think the Elite Skills are available for the Hero Skill Trainers. You may have to visit those bosses to unlock those skills.

Do you have all three campaigns, ie Prophecies, Factions & Nightfall? And do you have Eye of the North? Some skills can be easier to pick up depending on which game it is.
I do have all the campaigns except EotN and my old characters, including a level 20 mesmer. So maybe I can see about grabbing the monk skills this way.

Bwahahha! Wonderful! Someone still plays GW1!!!

Here's a bit of advice for your monk-on-monk healer teams - Mesmers with interrupts and damage-on-casts.

Here's a link to Discordway Mesmer Panic build:
Thanks, but this doesn't help me while my only available mesmer is a henchman.

Top Bottom