• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Guild Wars 2] Anyone Still Playing?

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Druid didn't really do it for me (except the fast movement passive). I tried Soulbeast a bit after Path of Fire came out, but I didn't find it that exciting either. I think it's more about the aesthetics than anything else! Holosmith does look kind of cool. I think Elementalist and Revenant are top of my 'looks interesting' list, with possibly Guardian to follow. I will take another gander at Holosmith, though.
Yeah, Druid is really a raid spec. They give healing and lots of boons and buffs, but they don't do much for soloing. Soulbeast is good for damage, but you need to find the right pets. Smokescale is one. It gives Fury and other stuff to really increase damage.

Holosmith and Scrapper can be good for damage. Scrappers been given a few buffs recently so you can load up on the Elixirs and wander around smashing things. Holosmith is just crazy damage.

I'm personally a fan of the Dragonhunter. I tried Firebrand when PoF first dropped, but I prefer Power to Condition Damage. It's very similar to base Guardian, but with some great PBAoE damage with their traps. I have found a good Firebrand build which can really stack up the Burning damage, but again, I prefer power.

That said, Mirage has a simple playstyle for being Condi, it has so much evasion it can dodge sunlight and piles on so many different conditions, and so many stacks of them, the it melts things. Chronomancer can also be fun. I don't play the optimal build which uses Sword/Sword & Sword/Shield. I mainly just play Greatsword and spam out Berserker Phantasms, the two high damage Wells and then Shatter.

I've got 3 of each class, so one of each elite spec and 1 of the base class. There's usually (but not always) something fun to play regardless of what class/elite spec you're running.

Morty

Validated User
I got back to collecting items for the skyscale myself, after putting GW2 aside for a while. I'm almost done with the Saving Skyscales achievement... which I realize is still the easy part.

In GW1, I'm in a bit of a pickle. There's a few quests in Kourna that require me to bring Koss. Whom I benched when he was level 8. I tried just taking him along and hoping the rest of the team pull through, but having one member who can't do much and dies all the time makes things a lot harder.

SirNukes

Validated User
In GW1, I'm in a bit of a pickle. There's a few quests in Kourna that require me to bring Koss. Whom I benched when he was level 8. I tried just taking him along and hoping the rest of the team pull through, but having one member who can't do much and dies all the time makes things a lot harder.
Give him a spear, defensive skills, and flag him to the back of your formation when needed. Being down 1 of 8 party members shouldn't matter too much in normal difficulty. Make sure you are bringing enough sustain. A basic setup is 1 heal monk, 1 protection monk, and 1 supplemental supporter with some healing. Mhenlo, Kihm, and Sogolon can make a decent backline if just using henchmen. A monk hero could be set up for one of the main monk slots, or for smites with healing from divine favor.

Grantanz

Validated User
Yeah, Druid is really a raid spec. They give healing and lots of boons and buffs, but they don't do much for soloing. Soulbeast is good for damage, but you need to find the right pets. Smokescale is one. It gives Fury and other stuff to really increase damage.

Holosmith and Scrapper can be good for damage. Scrappers been given a few buffs recently so you can load up on the Elixirs and wander around smashing things. Holosmith is just crazy damage.

I'm personally a fan of the Dragonhunter. I tried Firebrand when PoF first dropped, but I prefer Power to Condition Damage. It's very similar to base Guardian, but with some great PBAoE damage with their traps. I have found a good Firebrand build which can really stack up the Burning damage, but again, I prefer power.

That said, Mirage has a simple playstyle for being Condi, it has so much evasion it can dodge sunlight and piles on so many different conditions, and so many stacks of them, the it melts things. Chronomancer can also be fun. I don't play the optimal build which uses Sword/Sword & Sword/Shield. I mainly just play Greatsword and spam out Berserker Phantasms, the two high damage Wells and then Shatter.

I've got 3 of each class, so one of each elite spec and 1 of the base class. There's usually (but not always) something fun to play regardless of what class/elite spec you're running.
I haven't tried Mirage, either, I might have to give that a second glance. Given you've got one of each spec, might I pick your brains on Elementalist and Revenant? Which of their specs do you think is most suited to open world/Living Story solo type activities?

Morty

Validated User
Give him a spear, defensive skills, and flag him to the back of your formation when needed. Being down 1 of 8 party members shouldn't matter too much in normal difficulty. Make sure you are bringing enough sustain. A basic setup is 1 heal monk, 1 protection monk, and 1 supplemental supporter with some healing. Mhenlo, Kihm, and Sogolon can make a decent backline if just using henchmen. A monk hero could be set up for one of the main monk slots, or for smites with healing from divine favor.
I guess I didn't think of giving him a ranged weapon. I did get wiped earlier, but maybe I just aggro'd too many enemies. And I need some reliable enchantment stripping against the mandragor, otherwise some of them take way too long to kill.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I haven't tried Mirage, either, I might have to give that a second glance. Given you've got one of each spec, might I pick your brains on Elementalist and Revenant? Which of their specs do you think is most suited to open world/Living Story solo type activities?
Mirage requies a bit of invesment as it works best with full Viper's. If you've got plenty of Airship parts you can pick up Bladed Armour boxes for most of it. You just need the chest piece which you can get from the meta.

I'd highly recommend ascended weapons & trinkets as well.

Probably the Revenant, specifically the Renegade. Shortbow and Staff. Herald is also good, but is more suited for groups, just hang back with a hammer and maintain Might & Fury.

I ran my Elementalist with D/D and have upgraded to the Weaver with a sword. It works ok, but really the Ele seems best to hang back and blast things with a Staff. This doesn't quite work that we'll when you're solo. Tempest has a bit more options in close with being able to overload their Attunements. I play mine with the Boon share Sceptre/Warhorn build which can easily stack up 25 stacks of might, fury and more and then share it.

Elementalist isn't bad but it's got Light armour and the lowest HP pool, but Revenant has Heavy armour and moderate HP. Renegade has range, good AoE damage with the bombardment and can easily stack up 25 might as well, with Kalla's Furor which also adds Ferocity. There's also a Condi version which works just as well.

I recommend taking a look at Metabattle. It's here I got most of my builds (although, in my defence knowing 27 builds is a bit excessive).

Grantanz

Validated User
I ran my Elementalist with D/D and have upgraded to the Weaver with a sword. It works ok, but really the Ele seems best to hang back and blast things with a Staff. This doesn't quite work that we'll when you're solo. Tempest has a bit more options in close with being able to overload their Attunements. I play mine with the Boon share Sceptre/Warhorn build which can easily stack up 25 stacks of might, fury and more and then share it.

Elementalist isn't bad but it's got Light armour and the lowest HP pool, but Revenant has Heavy armour and moderate HP. Renegade has range, good AoE damage with the bombardment and can easily stack up 25 might as well, with Kalla's Furor which also adds Ferocity. There's also a Condi version which works just as well.

I recommend taking a look at Metabattle. It's here I got most of my builds (although, in my defence knowing 27 builds is a bit excessive).
That's an awesome resource, thank you! The top Tempest build is very similar to the one I saw on Youtube, and that seemed pretty sturdy.

Is there any downside to doing PoF and HoT out of order? I suspect the PoF hero points are easier to reach to ramp up my elite specs.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
That's an awesome resource, thank you! The top Tempest build is very similar to the one I saw on Youtube, and that seemed pretty sturdy.

Is there any downside to doing PoF and HoT out of order? I suspect the PoF hero points are easier to reach to ramp up my elite specs.
As a warning there were quite a few changes recently with the most recent balance patch. Some of those builds may be out of date. Their are rated to give you an idea how good they and they also provide equipment and variant suggestions. Theyre usually still viable using Exotic equipment and skipping infusions and consumables.

As for doing things out of order, not really. It's recommended for people that get HoT & PoF together to pick up at least the Raptor before doing HoT or even returning to the story of the base game. Similarly, if you do PoF first, pick up at least basic gliding in HoT first.

That said, there are plenty of Hero Trains that go through HoT and help people get all the Hero Points they need even if they don't have the required masteries. They will also usually pick up Mastery Points a long the way which also helps. They may request tips or payment since there are quite a few HPs & MPs. I can't say for sure since I haven't done one in a very long time.

Lastly, the Elite Specs are independent of the plot. If you own the content and have the skill points available you can unlock the elite spec and the skills without setting foot into the Heart of Maguuma or the Crystal Desert.

Grantanz

Validated User
Yup, I have HoT and PoF from a while back, and I have quite a few Masteries unlocked. I was more thinking of my fresh-80 characters and getting them through some of those 10HP areas to unlock the Elites.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Yup, I have HoT and PoF from a while back, and I have quite a few Masteries unlocked. I was more thinking of my fresh-80 characters and getting them through some of those 10HP areas to unlock the Elites.
There are a bunch of HPs that you can solo in HoT if you've got the right masteries. 7 in Verdant Brink, a few more in Auric Basin. Between those and the ones scattered around the Crystal Oasis you can probably get all you need.

Top Bottom