• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

GURPS: surprise rolls

Bicorn

Validated User
So, in GURPS when there's possibility of surprise, each side rolls 1d, adds various modifiers, and the side with the higher result gets a free turn to act, possibly more than one.

This rule has a bit of a flaw though: it assumes there's always two sides to the combat. What about a situation where there's three or more independent sides? Does only the highest result get a free turn, or everyone but the lowest, or what?

Temrek

Maximum HP is a lie
Validated User
I cant image it being more then two sides is a common situation.

I would go with your suggestion or email sjgames, they are good to their fans.

PaulChapman

Validated User
This rule has a bit of a flaw though: it assumes there's always two sides to the combat. What about a situation where there's three or more independent sides? Does only the highest result get a free turn, or everyone but the lowest, or what?
The "Partial Surprise" section (Campaigns, p393) speaks of "sides," but does not number them. The rules will work for two, or five.

Although I honestly can't imagine a realistic situation where more than three groups would be eligible for Surprise, and even that's stretching. But I guess if you're shooting for a more wacky, borderline silly campaign, it could work. I could see it happening frequently in a Scooby Doo cartoon, for instance.

Bicorn

Validated User
The "Partial Surprise" section (Campaigns, p393) speaks of "sides," but does not number them. The rules will work for two, or five.
Okaythen, we have three separate sides who surprise each other. The results of the rolls for each side are, say, 2, 3 and 4.
Which ones are treated as "surprised" (miss a turn, roll to recover etc.) in this case? Only the side who got 2, or both 2 and 3?

Top Bottom