• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

H.G. Wells WH40k

Dirk Desiato

Gigan!
Validated User
No, not "War of the Worlds" but "Little Wars". I long ago dropped off paying for GW's ever changing rules and I want a fast game to play with my minis so I went back to the beginning for inspiration. That beginning is H. G. Wells' "Little Wars" rules! I have added the use of dice (I like dice) and I think that these rules could be used for modern or WWII games as well. I do recommend getting a copy of LW (Little Wars), or at least viewing the rules online.

I would like some feedback too please!:cool:

Little Wars 40k

Unit composition/coherency: Individual troopers in a unit should be within a 6” radius or so.
Movement: As in LW. One side moves and then combat happens, then the other side moves and has combat. Infantry include walking vehicles. Cavalry include jet packs, bikes, and jetbikes.
Ranged combat: A unit will target another unit. Any that have line of sight are targets (effectively unlimited range, except for flamers, at this scale), up to lowest number of troopers are affected. (5 Troopers can see 10 enemy troopers, total of troopers affected per side is 5.) Each side rolls a number of dice and adds the results. Each side starts with 1d6, then adds dice depending on conditions. Ranged may not shoot into close combat.
Additional Dice:
Majority of unit in cover: 1d6
Power/heavy armor: 1d6
Superheavy armor/big and tough/Bike or light vehicle/Hero: 1d8
Every special weapon: 1d6
Every heavy weapon: 1d8
Every Flamer (not hand flamer) within 12” range: additional 1d6 to special/heavy weapon
Every area effect weapon: additional 1d6 to special/heavy weapon
Troops in LOS outnumber affected by 2 to 1: 1d6
If each side rolls the same number then both sides lose all affected troopers. If unequal, the side who rolled the highest has troopers survive by the difference of the two rolls and the other side loses all affected troopers.
Examples:
A 5 man squad of marines in cover with a flamer in range has 5d6. It is facing 10 orks with a big shoota so 1d6 and 1d8. 8 of the orks are in LOS and all of the marines are in LOS so 5 troops on each side will be affected. Both sides roll their dice and add them together. If the marines get a score of 18 and the orcs a score of 7 then 5 orcs are removed (18 – 7 = 11, all 5 marines survive.) If the marines roll 9 and the orcs roll 12 then 3 of the 5 affected orcs survive and all 5 of the marines are removed. If the marines rolled a 16 and the orcs rolled a 14 then two marines survive and 5 orcs are removed.
Number of dice examples:
10 Marines with a melta and a lascannon: 3d6 and 1d8.
5 Sisters of battle with a heavy bolter and 3 multi-meltas: 2d6 and 4d8.
5 Warp spiders: 10d6 with a 12” range.
3 Big nobs in mega armor and twin shootas: 4d6 and 2d8
30 Imperial guard with lasguns facing 12 Tau: 2d6
100 Grotz facing 60 chaos cultists: 1d6.

Note: If majority of troops in a unit have pistols as ranged weapons then they can only shoot 12”.

Close combat: Engage as in LW. As with ranged combat except LOS is all troops touching and with 6” of the touching troops.
Additional Dice:
Majority of defending unit in cover: 1d6
Power/heavy armor: 1d6
Superheavy armor/big and tough/Bike or light vehicle/Hero: 1d8
Majority of troops with CC weapons: 1d6
Majority of troops with two CC weapons: additional 1d6
Majority of troops with power weapons/rending claws: additional 1d8
Every flamer: 1d6
Troops in LOS outnumber affected by 2 to 1: 1d6
Examples:
5 Marines and a sergeant who has a bolt pistol and a chainsword: 2d6
10 Khorn berserkers: 4d6
5 Genestealers: 3d6 and 1d8
5 Seraphim with one set hand flamers (counts as one flamer): 5d6

Vehicles: All or nothing. If a vehicles rolls are same or less then the vehicle is knocked out of combat. Twin linked weapons raise the die type by one. Speed may be 12”, 24”, or 36” depending on vehicle.
Additional dice:
Light vehicle (speeder, trukk, kan): 1d8
Medium vehicle (Rhino, Wave serpent, Dreadnought): 1d10
Heavy Vehicle (Leman Russ): 1d12
Titan scale: 1d20
Weapons as above with larger ones being 1d10 or more.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
It's not what you want but I'm loving the "Brits v Tripods v Morlocks v psionic hippies with a time machine" in my head...

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
If you're looking for a fast game this is still pretty complicated. In fact I think most of the complexity for 40K is in individual codexes; the basic rules fit on a few 4x5 cards (because tables).

Dirk Desiato

Gigan!
Validated User
If you're looking for a fast game this is still pretty complicated. In fact I think most of the complexity for 40K is in individual codexes; the basic rules fit on a few 4x5 cards (because tables).
Is this complicated? I have no real stat lines, it uses simple addition and subtraction, and the rules I based it off of are diceless. Yes, 40K is also simple at its core but I am not buying their stuff anymore. This is also been a fun thought exercise.

Top Bottom