• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[H&H] System Notes and Development

Duck Call Lass

Banned
Heartbreak & Heroines met our funding goals at kickstarter, and I want to thank all of you who helped make this happen -- our supporters, our backers, and the rest of you who were vital to the H&H kickstarter's success.

This thread is to continue the various fruitful discussions that were happening on both of the previous threads, including conversations about killing bears and talk about dice mechanics.

Please do not use this thread to debate whether or not H&H should exist (it will), to tell us how it's unneeded by your group, or to generally slag on feminism.

For those who have asked, a kickstarter doesn't stop taking pledges when you hit your goal -- you can pledge any time up until the end of the kickstarter and get the appropriate backer reward (name in book, hard copy, dice bags, whatever). Here's an example of an RPG kickstarter that way, way exceeded its original goal: Do, Pilgrims of the Flying Temple -- and it's an awesome game by an awesome creator, by the way.

Like many kickstarter projects, we're going to offer incentives if we reach a milestone: $4,000 in this case. We had originally planned to be POD, but if you help fund us to higher levels -- or if you just want to pre-order the game -- we be looking into doing a traditional print run instead.

What will that incentive be? I don't know yet; it was just over 48 hours ago that I was worried that we'd get ANY backers outside of a small circle of my friends (and maybe my mom). So it didn't occur to me to plan out such incentives. However, this thread would be a really good time for any of you (including already pledged backers) to say what kind of incentive -- probably a free PDF supplement -- you'd think would be cool.

A monster manual full of bears, anyone?

I've gotta make up a 4e D&D character for tonight's game, so I'll be doing that for a while. But if you have any questions that weren't answered in the previous threads, post 'em here and I'll catch up on them when I get home later tonight.

Thank you again for your support!

Update: Okay, it's been decided, the $4K milestone is The Big Book of Beastly Bears.

Last edited:

Levi

Slayer Of Spambots.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As I said on G+, I think a big book of bears would be hilarious. I'm just not sure anyone else would agree.

Levi

Slayer Of Spambots.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, and the big questions I had about system:

Are you still tinkering with the places relationship stuff do intersect with numbers, or have you got those nailed down? Are those bonds? How do bonds work?

RLittles

Retired User
I wanted to wish you the best of luck with your rpg Kynn. May it be a bestseller and set sales records that makes WotC take notice. :)

Duck Call Lass

Banned
Oh, and here, make up your Heroine.

You've got 8 points to distribute among the following 3 Aspects. You've got to put at least one point in an Aspect (every one of us is a triple goddess ourselves), and you can't have more than 5 points in any one aspect. [*] An average score is a 2.

Waxing Moon Aspect: The Maiden. This is about youthful energy, renewal, new life beginning, exploring, moving, curiosity, physical activity. If your Heroine is into fighting or is athletic, give her a decent Waxing Moon Aspect.

Full Moon Aspect: The Mother. Motherhood, obviously. Romantic relationships, sex, security, protection, defense, nurturing, emotional activity. Is your Heroine a healer or a defender? Give her a good score for her Full Moon Aspect.

Waning Moon Aspect: The Crone. Wisdom, knowledge, age, maturity, common sense, magic, history, learning, wit, humor, teaching. Your Heroine doesn't have to be old to have a high a Waning Moon Aspect, she just needs to be wise.

What are your Heroine's Aspects? Thyn'glok, the troll shieldmaiden from the classic killing-the-bear example, has this:

Waxing Moon: 4
Full Moon: 3
Waning Moon: 1

She's not too clever, but she's tough as nails and will protect her companions.

[*] The clever among us, such as Levi, will soon deduce that there are 4 "arrays" possible: 5/2/1, 4/3/1, 4/2/2, and 3/3/2.

Mark D. Eddy

It's Twagic.
Validated User
In one of the other threads, you had three aspects which were "Waxing," "Full," and "Waning." Is there going to be other lunar-based imagery? One of my hobbies is semiotics (the study of symbols and symbolism), and I think that choice of images can influence people's approach a lot. Lunar images are strongly female-associated for obvious reasons, and I like that sort of thing as a play.

EDIT: Yikes, I was ninja'd. That's an awesome way of doing it.

Last edited:

Duck Call Lass

Banned
Oh, and the big questions I had about system:

Are you still tinkering with the places relationship stuff do intersect with numbers, or have you got those nailed down? Are those bonds? How do bonds work?
Still tinkering. As you probably know, those types of mechanics are the hardest to get right. Playtesting needs to be done to get the kinks out.

Here's a sample Bond that Thyn'glok might have, written down as a stat:

Bonds: Westrilla (ex-lover) 2

The Bond stat defines the person, the relationship, and has a value that ranges from 1 (acquaintance basically) to 5 (soulmate or the like). These can be pushed into becoming Edges when needed (e.g. if Westrilla is in danger, then Thyn'glok can have an Edge 2 to save her from bears), but I'm working on more than just that.

Bonds are one example of the things that you can add, change, or drop in Character Development. (Note: H&H doesn't use the concept of advancement but of development.)

Duck Call Lass

Banned
In one of the other threads, you had three aspects which were "Waxing," "Full," and "Waning." Is there going to be other lunar-based imagery? One of my hobbies is semiotics (the study of symbols and symbolism), and I think that choice of images can influence people's approach a lot. Lunar images are strongly female-associated for obvious reasons, and I like that sort of thing as a play.

EDIT: Yikes, I was ninja'd. That's an awesome way of doing it.
The Aspects are the primary way that moon-related imagery figure into the game stats. NPCs/monsters sometimes have full Aspects, sometimes just have a default aspect of Threat, and sometimes a default aspect of Complications.

Your Aspects also determine your Energy points -- Life, Love, and Lore. I'll explain those in a little bit.

Top Bottom