• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Hack The Planet - what’s it like?

kvltjam

Async
Validated User
How is lethality? Are there options for uploading your mind if your character gets killed?

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
How is lethality? Are there options for uploading your mind if your character gets killed?
Nope. It's not that SF. If you die, you die. But since you're part of a Crew, you just grab an undifferentiated NPC and make them your new PC.

kvltjam

Async
Validated User
Nope. It's not that SF. If you die, you die. But since you're part of a Crew, you just grab an undifferentiated NPC and make them your new PC.
That’s reasonable. Is healing handled like BitD or is it modified? (I know S&V handles healing a little bit differently, which is why I ask.)

kvltjam

Async
Validated User
So I have it! And it’s great. Some things, system-wise, that leapt out at me:
  • Cybernetics presents an interesting edge-case interaction with Attributes - if an Attribute would normally be zero (ie no “first column” dots in that Attribute group’s Action Ratings), but one or more cybernetics dots are present, you take the cybernetics column as the rating. A little fiddly, but nothing polling the table at character creation can’t solve with a “if [this scenario] happens, just make a note of it”.
  • Healing is subtly different - all dice are counted, not just the highest. I guess the game assumes a higher lethality than stock Blades in the Dark? I’m down with that.
  • There’s an item called a Recharge, which allows characters to heal using Joules. But: rolling a 1 on any die (again, all die rolls count for healing) causes additional harm.
  • The Fuse playbook has an ability to roll with Potency on certain Gather Information rolls. I’ve never considered Potency when Gathering Information, so that tripped me up a bit, but I like it.
What other subtle rule mods have y’all found?

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If you die, you die. But since you're part of a Crew, you just grab an undifferentiated NPC and make them your new PC.
Darnit. I was liking what I was reading in this thread until reached I that line. That's an automatic unsell for my group. So it goes, I guess.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Darnit. I was liking what I was reading in this thread until reached I that line. That's an automatic unsell for my group. So it goes, I guess.
I mean what else would you expect to do if your PC dies? You cna make up a different person entierly, of course, but the expectation is that your PCs are part of a group and have some folks helping them out, mostly off-screen.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I mean what else would you expect to do if your PC dies?
To use a game system that allows everyone at the table to mitigate that problem before it occurs.

For instance, spending a luck point to cheat death, or reroll any roll, or for their character to suffer a serious consequence or severe injuries that have a tangible impact for the rest of the game, yet doesn't tear up their character sheet unless that's what the player wants. (That's happened plenty of time in our games. The player chooses the PCs consequences, which can include death if it was preferable to alternatives. Sometimes people want to choose to go up in a blaze of glory at a crucial moment, and not just because they rolled a 1 for defense because a mook shot at them.)

I mean, let a thousand flowers bloom and all that. Everyone should feel free to run their games however they like, however unless it's intentional (such as playing Paranoia), PCs dying represents a failure in my groups style of gaming.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
How straightforward is the presentation? The RPG looks cool, but I initially liked the look of both of Fraser Simmons previous RPGs - Worlds in Peril and The Veil. On closer examination, I found the rules for both to be convoluted and missing something. It almost felt like Fraser had an idea of what he set out to achieve but failed to communicate that very clearly.

Top Bottom