• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Hack The Planet - what’s it like?

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
It's not a case of "PC gets shot, PC is gone." Characters have armor and can soak a fair number of hits, using Stress and other resources. In fact it's a lot more likely for a character to fill up on mental trauma and be retired from the gameworld because the job wore them down. But yes, it is expected that at some point PCs will die, which is why characters are part of a Crew with NPCs who can step up to fill the need.

It's like the character tree in older editions of D&D. It's not in place because you are expected to lose a PC. It's in place because you are fighting powerful, resourceful enemies and if a PC dies there should be a reasonable method for someone to step up and fill their shoes.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
How straightforward is the presentation? The RPG looks cool, but I initially liked the look of both of Fraser Simmons previous RPGs - Worlds in Peril and The Veil. On closer examination, I found the rules for both to be convoluted and missing something. It almost felt like Fraser had an idea of what he set out to achieve but failed to communicate that very clearly.
Take a look at the core rules.

kvltjam

Async
Validated User
Darnit. I was liking what I was reading in this thread until reached I that line. That's an automatic unsell for my group. So it goes, I guess.
Well... you may be in luck. They have the Gone playbook. For when your abundant Protagonist Luck really, truly runs out.

The Gone is someone’s central nervous system, removed from their dying body, and put into what’s called a “plug”. They’re a brain in a jar, so to speak, and getting that process done requires a LOT of money. But it can be done, and it allows the plug to get slotted into a frame, essentially becoming a robot.

Think the Hulls from OG Blades, but modular.

kvltjam

Async
Validated User
How straightforward is the presentation? The RPG looks cool, but I initially liked the look of both of Fraser Simmons previous RPGs - Worlds in Peril and The Veil. On closer examination, I found the rules for both to be convoluted and missing something. It almost felt like Fraser had an idea of what he set out to achieve but failed to communicate that very clearly.
I’ve found it pretty easy to understand, as the rules differences are minor. But they’re there.
  • Cybernetics is an obvious thing, and every modification past the first “freebie” you get at character creation costs an amount of the Stress track. This is pretty apparent since they are a big change to the playbooks.
  • Less apparent is the fact that some equipment listed on the playbooks, printed in bold, adds +1 Heat when used.
  • A subtle edge case: if your Attribute would be zero, but you have a cybernetic augmentation that gives you a +1d to an Action, use the rightmost column.
  • Healing is rolled normally, but uses all values to fill up the clock, not just the highest. This interacts with...
  • ...a piece of gear called a Recharge. It’s 2 Load, and costs a Joule to use, so it’s expensive. But it allows healing in the middle of a Score. But any time you roll a 1 on any die, you take Level 1 Harm (Nanoshock) which is special in that it’s only treatable by street docs or other facilities that can work on nanites. You can use it multiple times per Score, and it increases in Quality each use. That took me the longest time to comprehend, but it makes sense. Each time is a risk, But the better starting Tier the better - the less you’ll need to worry about multiple uses, and the better the odds that you’ll actually get healed.

kvltjam

Async
Validated User
The art is quite sumptuous. Some of it is a bit more detailed; some is... not ugly at all, but more impressionistic.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
The art is exceptional and very evocative. There's plenty of blocky, ugly stuff lit by harsh neon, but it is cyberpunk. Not all can be ethereal and lovely.

Extrakun

Tinker of Games
Validated User
To use a game system that allows everyone at the table to mitigate that problem before it occurs.

For instance, spending a luck point to cheat death, or reroll any roll, or for their character to suffer a serious consequence or severe injuries that have a tangible impact for the rest of the game, yet doesn't tear up their character sheet unless that's what the player wants.
Most BitD games run exactly like that. It's very hard to kill PCs, given that they have stress track s and all that

Top Bottom