• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

HACKING/MODDING SAVAGE WORLDS: What have you done?

Nahualt

A badder Santa
Validated User
So SW is a fairly simple/straightforward game. Some people have more levels of complexity other dont.

I for one never liked that attributes mostly work for buying skills cheaper ( mostly), and I have always wanted them to matter more.

I once considered dropping the wild dice and just having rolls be skill dice + Attribute dice for wild cards, would that have skewed the system too much?

What changes have you made to the core system of Savage Worlds in your own games?

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think attributes matter a lot as is. Melee damage, tricks, removing shaken, toughness--SW is famously a game with "no dump stat" because they all have direct application to combat as well as uses in other situations. Whenever I've played, they all felt like the mattered quite a lot.

But more generally, I don't fiddle with the core of SW because it's deceptively simple-looking. It's simple to understand how to play, but that doesn't mean it's easy to understand the implications of any change you might make.

Fortunately, they show you how to mess with it with the setting rules. Those allow you to tweak it in various ways without breaking the core system by accident.

Samael

Certifiable
What changes have you made to the core system of Savage Worlds in your own games?
For the most part, I don't change anything I consider "core". I do change the ABs (I detest power points) and usually dump Guts. I'll also write my own incapacitation table as often as not.

Those are done to get the style I want for the given setting as much as for any other reason. Essentially they're setting rules.

Extrakun

Tinker of Games
Validated User
I am currently doing a conversion from Legend (Dragon Warrior's settings) to Savage Worlds.

I probably only mess with edges and powers, and some setting options, like soaking wounds and etc. Since Dragon Warriors only allow human PCs, I model each culture in the setting as a race. It's still a WIP.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
I've tweaked minor things - better race/chase/dogfight rules for large vessels, sorting out how some new Arcane Backgrounds work (Weird Science as-is doesn't quite handle Eberron's Artificer as well as I wanted). But most of those are relatively minor mods that don't affect the main core mechanics.

Probably my biggest tweak has been trying to integrate FATE-styled aspects into the game. I've changed the Benny economy a bit - two colors of Bennies. Reds are the traditional reroll/soak, while Blues Tag/Compel Aspects for bonuses. It's not perfect yet - there's still many Edges and Hindrances that are best left alone, rather than converted to Aspects.

Not got it working all the way yet, but we're getting there.

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
I drop the Swimming and Climbing skill and roll them into a skill I call Athletics.

Baulderstone

Validated User

I once considered dropping the wild dice and just having rolls be skill dice + Attribute dice for wild cards, would that have skewed the system too much?
The basic problem is that the game is designed that way on purpose.

The idea that attributes have equal weight to skill is popular in post oWoD games, but it is really pretty dumb. Natural abilities can be a help in learning something, but you still need rote practice to be pretty good at anything. Ultimately, skill is more important than potential and aptitude.

The system, as is, gives people with a natural aptitude a price break, manning they wil learn those things with less effort and tend towards buying those skills.

If we implement your idea, things start to go off. You get the problem that an acrobat with a d12 in Agility only needs a d4 in Shooting to be a world-class shot. Basically you are lowering differentiation between characters.

Also, Let's say that a character starts play with a d8 in Smarts. Not unreasonable. They get a Wild Die in of d8 in every Smarts skill. Now during Novice, they can raise it to D10, and on their first advance at at Seasoned, they have a d12 Wild Die for all Smarts skills. That is just crazy.

Compare that to methods to raise the Wild Die in the Raw. You can raise a Wild Die to a d10, in one trait only, using the Master Edge. The Master Edge requires the Expert Edge, which requires the Professional Edge. The Professional Edge requires a d12 in the affected Trait, along with the character being Legendary in rank.

Of course, this Legendary character would be nothing to the Seasoned characters using your rules. Giving characters such high dice is really going to throw off the TNs in the game as well.

And once again, the game was designed to avoid the affect of attributes trumping skill that is a problem in so many games, so you'd be breaking the game to fix something really shouldn't be seen as a bug.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
I drop the Swimming and Climbing skill and roll them into a skill I call Athletics.
...This post reminded me of one of my other "larger" scale changes. As many people have dropped the Guts skill, I dropped Climbing and Swimming altogether, and instead use something akin to a Common Knowledge-styled trait check.

Climbing a steep wall with few handholds, or leaping from rooftop to rooftop? Agility.

Climbing a steep cliff or fording a chest-deep fast river while carrying a full pack? Strength.

Running long distances or treading water while you wait for rescue? Vigor.

I'll then modify the roll or target number based on the relative difficulty. I've also added a few Professional-style Edges for those who want to be especially good at climbing/swimming/etc.

I've also toyed around with combining elements or Repair and Lockpicking, as a "Heist" skill. Not ideal for all settings, but for medieval fantasy, Repair isn't an especially useful skill, it's not a bad notion.

But again, most of these changes are relatively superficial...

Luis Pineda

Retired User
The only thing I'm contemplating changing is the encumberance rules simply because until you are carrying your max weight limit our pace doesn't go down. But then everyone would just get fleet-footed to counter act it rather than just not carry around every piece of equipment possible.

Valmont

Charming Bastard
Validated User
The only thing I'm contemplating changing is the encumberance rules simply because until you are carrying your max weight limit our pace doesn't go down. But then everyone would just get fleet-footed to counter act it rather than just not carry around every piece of equipment possible.
I tend to ignore encumbrance rules regardless of system in favor of a "just try to be reasonable about what equipment you're carrying, and don't worry about mundane gear" rule. It doesn't seem like it'd break anything too badly, but I'm kind of new to SW myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom