Haiti Relief Bundle -- Not to be crass...

Gareth-Michael Skarka

Banned
Hey there folks --

Awesome response so far! At the time of this posting, the Gamers Helping Haiti bundle has raised nearly $70,000 for relief efforts. The gaming community has come together in the past, for 9/11, for New Orleans -- and it's really wonderful to see the response is still there, even in the depths of recession.

However, I'd like to make a request -- and I'm not trying to be crass here, but I did want to point out an unintended side-effect of the program.

If you like the stuff you picked up, and want to show your appreciation to the publishers who put up product for the Bundle, please consider throwing an extra product or two into your purchase before check-out.

The response to this effort has been far more than anyone expected -- and now that it's being picked up by sites like Boing Boing, it's getting even more exposure. The result of this has been a massive hit on RPGNow and DriveThruRPG's servers, resulting in outages, loading lag.... and, sadly, an almost complete drop-off in non-Bundle sales.

Most of us who participated in the Bundle are small operations -- and given the Bundle's availability until the end of the month, the prospect of little to no sales income during that time is somewhat daunting.

So please, if you appreciate the stuff you're getting, try to throw a little extra purchase into the kitty. It would be a shame if it turned out that by doing the right thing, we publishers actually ended up harming ourselves because of it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks for everything you're doing!

Arachne

Robot Spider Queen
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Consider this: It's a possibility that this will increase sales in the long run, with or without your two cents' worth, but that the very well-known issue of traffic overload experienced by Drivethru has encouraged people to simply wait until the worst traffic jam is over.

One thing I know: I've never before bought a single PDF file, ever, and this bundle has changed that. It probably won't be the last thing I buy either.

(I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - your culture probably doesn't have the same stigma against saying that kind of thing that mine has.)

Cannibal Smiliest

Smacking around John Sumbitch
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Consider this: It's a possibility that this will increase sales in the long run, with or without your two cents' worth, but that the very well-known issue of traffic overload experienced by Drivethru has encouraged people to simply wait until the worst traffic jam is over.
Exactly. This is getting DriveThru's name out - now that's happened, people will come back later the next time something interesting comes out. And if people like MARS or whatever, they'll see if they like your other stuff down the road.

I think that this bundle was an amazingly generous gesture, but I keep wondering if it wouldn't have been better if DriveThru had maybe clipped some of the smaller stuff out of the bundle and just let people get the really good stuff for the donation, as opposed to D66 Ship Names. (I also worry about DriveThruRPG's ability to match the donations, but as the coupon doesn't come with matching, I'm not too too worried.)

-Darren MacLennan

Matt-M-McElroy

What Are You Afraid Of?
Validated User
Exactly. This is getting DriveThru's name out - now that's happened, people will come back later the next time something interesting comes out.
Hopefully people will stop by to check out other products by a few of the publishers that donated items to the bundle. That would indeed be ideal for the small press folks in the long term.

There are a lot of great products in the mix and even more available on the site.

Thanks to all of the publishers who added to the bundle and thanks to everyone who picked it up.

-Matt

Gareth-Michael Skarka

Banned
Oh, no -- believe me, I get the long-term thing. I was just specifically talking about the short-term. The unintended consequence of a lot of small guys going without income for about half a month.

I know that it will work itself out in the end -- I just wanted to make sure that folks were aware of what's been happening in the immediate sense.

jaerdaph

Validated User
I think that this bundle was an amazingly generous gesture, but I keep wondering if it wouldn't have been better if DriveThru had maybe clipped some of the smaller stuff out of the bundle and just let people get the really good stuff for the donation, as opposed to D66 Ship Names.
Emphasis mine.

I really don't think you need to denigrate the quality or generosity of *any* publisher who was gracious enough to participate to make your point...

Mailanka

Honest Eshu
Validated User
Emphasis mine.

I really don't think you need to denigrate the quality or generosity of *any* publisher who was gracious enough to participate to make your point...
*cough wanted the d66 ships names*

I mean, I probably wouldn't have paid money for it, but since I have it I intend to use it in my space opera game.

Different strokes and all that.

I purchased my books for the month, alas. We're on a tight budget. The next time I can get something will be in February sometime (I'm trying to round out my WoD PDF collection one purchase at a time)

jaerdaph

Validated User
Don't get me wrong, I get his point and it makes sense. I just wouldn't have called out anyone by name. :)

Thank you to all the publishers who donated products, many of whom I I wasn't aware of before the relief drive. Those of you who participated have been bumped up in my purchasing priorities and awareness.

DMcCoy1693

Registered Nerd
Validated User
as opposed to D66 Ship Names.
Its good to see that one of my products got noticed. ;)

Truth be told, I was not sure exactly what to donate. I did donate the d66 Ship Names 2. My company supports Pathfinder and Traveller. I donated the only supplement I had for Pathfinder (the Book of the Faithful) and I wanted to donate something that could be used for Traveller as well so I donated my hex map pack for SF games. Usable outside of Traveller, but still made with Traveller in mind. But I still wanted to do more. I considered donating all of my d66 lists to date but I was afraid that people would see that as flooding the bundle with stuff not usable in a fantasy game. So I just chose one, the one I felt was most usable in both Traveller and in any SF game.

In total I donated 3 different products to the bundle. I know d66 Ship Names 2 isn't the flashiest of books, but I was simply trying to help.

Arachne

Robot Spider Queen
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey, as a guy who really, really wanted that thing after finding it on the list, I'm just gonna say "thank you" and ignore Darren MacLennan booring. (Gee, am I not the cheerful critic today?)

Top Bottom