• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Haiti Relief Bundle -- Not to be crass...

Cannibal Smiliest

Smacking around John Sumbitch
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do we really need to get picky with what people chose to donate? I think it is good that so many publishers offered up their products for free.
I think that it's remarkably generous of them, but when the sheer weight of stuff being downloaded drops DriveThruRPG's servers to the ground like a poleaxed steer, you wonder if $20 for $500 - or $1000 - wouldn't have been a slightly better way to handle things.

Charity is a virtue; so is prudence.

-Darren MacLennan

Blammo

Formerly 'Kinetic'
Validated User
Oh, no -- believe me, I get the long-term thing. I was just specifically talking about the short-term. The unintended consequence of a lot of small guys going without income for about half a month.
To everyone that donated product: Thank you. Your contribution was appreciated. I can honestly say that the publishers that helped out with this will definitely get repeat business from me.

To name a few... Adamant already gets bonus points from me for customer service. I mentioned before that I planned on getting a hard copy of MARS (Savage Worlds) and think that now is a good time to do that. I'm also buying two more copies of BASH Ultimate Edition when they are in stock, so there's another sale to one of the contributors. Blood Games II is one I've had my eye on for a while and I think that Clash might finally get some cash from me for a hard copy, along with several other publishers that contributed. There are a lot of purchases that just jumped to the forefront.

Cannibal Smiliest

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In total I donated 3 different products to the bundle. I know d66 Ship Names 2 isn't the flashiest of books, but I was simply trying to help.
It was very generous of you to do so. :)

-Darren MacLennan

Blammo

Formerly 'Kinetic'
Validated User
I think that it's remarkably generous of them, but when the sheer weight of stuff being downloaded drops DriveThruRPG's servers to the ground like a poleaxed steer, you wonder if $20 for $500 - or $1000 - wouldn't have been a slightly better way to handle things.

-Darren MacLennan
Only the product that is actually downloaded is putting a load on their servers, so if something isn't really a hot item and isn't being downloaded heavily then it's not really contributing to the "problem" at all. The point, I think , of the package was to offer variety, and it succeeded. There are several things that I may not have picked up by themselves, and still may not download for a while, but that I am grateful to get the chance to look at.

The prudence part of your statement falls to the consumer, not the contributor. The consumers are the ones that are hammering the servers, and the consumers were the ones asked to wait a few days before downloading the product they received as part of this deal to help alleviate the strain on the servers.

Olaf the Stout

Insert Witty Title Here
Validated User

-Darren MacLennan
And how many publishers are likely to donate next time when they are told, "Sorry, but the PDF's you offered for free aren't good enough to be included in the bundle."

If I was a publisher and the PDF's I offerred were deliberately left out of the bundle I certainly would not offer anything up for similar efforts in the future. I would try and figure out some way to do something on my own.

Olaf the Stout

Cannibal Smiliest

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The prudence part of your statement falls to the consumer, not the contributor.
Then don't leave the commons unmanaged. It's fantastic that people are so into this, and that they've made so much money, but if people can't get their stuff, they may stop buying and then the donations dry up.

-Darren MacLennan

Cannibal Smiliest

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And how many publishers are likely to donate next time when they are told, "Sorry, but the PDF's you offered for free aren't good enough to be included in the bundle."
Make more than one bundle, and put it into that bundle? "Indie Publishers Support Haiti", "Fantasy Fans for Haiti", "SF Fans for Haiti", "Weirdos for Haiti" (Unknown Armies, Summerland, Little Fears, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Noumenon, that kind of thing.)

-Darren MacLennan

Last edited:

jaerdaph

Validated User
In total I donated 3 different products to the bundle. I know d66 Ship Names 2 isn't the flashiest of books, but I was simply trying to help.
Thank you very much for your generosity, Mr. McCoy! I downloaded and read Book of the Faithful: The Power of Prayer today and enjoyed it. Before today, I thought your company only did products for Traveller, a game I don't play, so I was only marginally aware of you. But I do play Pathfinder, and now I know you will be publishing for that game system too. So welcome to my game-purchasing RADAR screen. :)

Blammo

Formerly 'Kinetic'
Validated User
Make more than one bundle, and put it into that bundle? "Indie Publishers Support Haiti", "Fantasy Fans for Haiti", "SF Fans for Haiti", "Weirdos for Haiti".

-Darren MacLennan
That wouldn't really alleviate the problem of server strain. Potentially, more orders would attempt to be processed and the back-end systems would have to keep track of multiple database/package entries per customer. The only way I can see one large package that slows the system down more than multiple small packages is if each person that orders the package automatically starts downloading the products and goes through the entire list.

Although I dig the examples of product for "Weirdos for Haiti" :D

Top Bottom