Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is Concluding

sun_tzu

Validated User
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is... controversial in some places, but personally, I love the crap out of it.
It's been going on for years.
It's hella long.
And it's scheduled to update once per day for the next ten days for its final arc.
The first part went up a few hours ago, and... it's a doozy.
Spoiler: Show
You know those big reveal scenes in mystery stories? Today, I've learned it's possible to write one that reveals nothing the reader (as opposed to the character) didn't already know, and still make it work.

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I read the first 40 or so chapters some time ago, then stopped following it as closely, but I liked what I read. I'll wait until they've all been released, then read it straight through.

medivh

Banned
I've never been to this part of the forum before but came in here specifically to start this thread if it wasn't up already.

Handguns! Why'd it have to be handguns!

Also: I must admit that Voldemort had me with his progressive-sickness-act. Partially because Quirrel really is sick in HP1, and partially because it has just been a such a consistent act all the way through. I knew from very early spoilers (boo!) that Quirrel=Voldemort (Not just "Carries Voldemort around like in Canon" but "Is Voldemort" and it still managed to surprise me.

Separate question: Where did you people first hear of HPMOR? I found it through Less Wrong around 20..12? 2013? Thereabouts.

sun_tzu

Validated User
I've never been to this part of the forum before but came in here specifically to start this thread if it wasn't up already.

Handguns! Why'd it have to be handguns!

Also: I must admit that Voldemort had me with his progressive-sickness-act. Partially because Quirrel really is sick in HP1, and partially because it has just been a such a consistent act all the way through. I knew from very early spoilers (boo!) that Quirrel=Voldemort (Not just "Carries Voldemort around like in Canon" but "Is Voldemort" and it still managed to surprise me.

Separate question: Where did you people first hear of HPMOR? I found it through Less Wrong around 20..12? 2013? Thereabouts.
I've heard it mentioned here and there, and it had been on my "check it out" list for years.
What finally prompted me to read it a couple years ago was the author linking to my own story on a Facebook post. :eek:

Phigment

Faceless Handle
Validated User
Well, in theory he's updating approximately once a day for a month. That argues for short updates.

Anyhow, I've kept up with it for a long time now, and been entertained. It's got a lot of flaws, both as Harry Potter fanfiction and as rationalist propaganda, but it's by no means the worst piece of writing I've consumed. And the scale of the work is certainly impressive.

These last few chapters have been unusually direct and straightforward. Likely because Yudkowsky realized he had to cut to the chase or he'd still be at this another hundred chapters from now.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Greatly enjoying myself so far. It feels unusual, looking forward to a chapter of a text story every day - normally I only do that with webcomics. XD

Leprenomichaun

Non-Euclidean faerie
Validated User
I kind of want to hold off on reading more until it's all done and dusted, so I can read it all at once. I do not appear to have the necessary self-control, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Hatchet

Evil Efficiency Consult
Validated User
Can't actually remember when and where I found out about this fic, was awhile back.
Found much to my interests.
Haven't looked back since:D
Am very fond of the podcast/audiobook, and cant wait for it to catch up.
It's very nice to listen to when out and about, doing chores etc.

Did think when I started reading that it was going to be all seven years, but aw well.
Been a good run regardless (Hermione nonwithstanding
and can't/wont think that particular death will stick, found it a bit too much deviating canonwise and even more so if it sticks. s'not supposed to die:(
) and there is always recursive fanfics:).
Have found two or three I quite like.

Will be sad to see it end but have found it to have quite a reread value for me, must have read whats been out dozens of times by now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom