• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Harry Potter: Wizards Unite

Kuildeous

Validated User
I'm surprised this didn't come up in the search engine. So as someone who played some Pokemon Go with a wife who is now bored of it, I'm interested in Wizards Unite releasing in the US tomorrow. My wife is much more interested in Harry Potter than she is in Pokemon, so she probably will want to dive into this.

I was wondering if those who already have the game before the US could help answer me a question. See, my wife is a severe arachnophobe. She's had to cover her eyes in the theatre whenever spiders showed up. I imagine this game contains every single creature shown in the movies and remotely talked about in the books, and I'm certain that's going to involve spiders.

So, early adopters, are the spiders plentiful? And just how realistic-looking are they? My wife cringed at the first sighting of the spinarak, but it was too cartoony and with not enough legs to trigger her phobia. Promo pics of Wizards Unite look like these creatures will have more detail to them.

I mean, I'm going to download it anyway and take a look, but I want to have an idea of what to expect.

I guess I better think of my House early.

sobresaut

Validated User
I have only played a little, but I went through the registry, which is like a sticker book for everything you have found. Everything you haven't seen is an outline. I see no spiders in the main sections, but one in the events section. Just the outline definitely gives me the creeps, it's definitely not a cartoony one. So you might encounter it, I don't know how likely. But at least when the event is over, I think it will be gone.

Kuildeous

Validated User
Well, that's hopeful. And perhaps if they are trying to maintain a broad appeal, they might make it more fantastical and less scary, though Dementors are pretty scary in their own right. I appreciate the insight.

Fedifensor

Validated User
So, the registration screen is asking for a first and last name (which can be generated by the app if you can’t think of one). It says, “THIS NAME IS FOR YOUR EYES ONLY” and “THE MINISTRY WILL NOT SHARE IT WITH OTHERS AND WILL NOT STORE IT. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR NAME AT ANY TIME.”

So, if this is a fictional name that no one else will ever see...what is it used for?

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
So, the registration screen is asking for a first and last name (which can be generated by the app if you can’t think of one). It says, “THIS NAME IS FOR YOUR EYES ONLY” and “THE MINISTRY WILL NOT SHARE IT WITH OTHERS AND WILL NOT STORE IT. YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR NAME AT ANY TIME.”

So, if this is a fictional name that no one else will ever see...what is it used for?
Roleplaying?

sobresaut

Validated User
When the talking head bubble tutorials pop up to explain things sometimes they insert your name... That's all I've noticed - doesn't show up in friends list either

Kuildeous

Validated User
So good news for the US. The game is available early. That's pretty cool.

I didn't get to explore it as much as I'd like. I have plans this evening, so I'm going to sit on a lot of nothing until tomorrow. Things I noticed:

You can enter greenhouses, inns, and fortresses. The greenhouse gives you a random potion ingredient, it seems. The inn gives you 2 spell energy. The fortress is where you can build up your victories. You start off fighting two creatures. You spend runestones, and the better you spend, the better the reward, I think. I chose the most numerous one because I figure I'm not going to waste my rarer ones trying to figure shit out.

You walk the hatching of a portmanteau using keys. You always have a gold key, and silver keys let you open multiple at once. These are done by walking.

As far as I can tell, you're not locked into a House. I have the option to finish my registration and choose my House. I'll probably choose whatever my wife chooses, but if it can be changed, that'll be useful. For now, I'm leaving that page alone.

To answer my question, I've seen one spider, and it was in a fortress. Man, my wife's not going to be able to fight that. Fortunately, you can choose the order you fight in the fortress, so she can fight something else while I fight the spider on my phone. Then we switch phones so I can take out her spider. As long as that's the only time it shows up, that's manageable. But there may be more.

It's a pretty game. Definitely some familiar elements for Pokemon players, but it's just different enough that you might be better off not knowing Pokemon.

Kuildeous

Validated User
I take it the signs don't do anything mechanically other than increase the chance of certain encounters? I was excited to see that my home sits on something, but it's a flag. I guess that means I should consider the profession where I go for magical games.

Top Bottom