• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Harry Potter: Wizards Unite

Kovbasa

Validated User
I've complained about the disappearance chance more than once already, but I did find that once I started brewing/using Dawdle Draughts, things started to get better. It's not 100% effective, but I think that the game was designed with the strong intention to use those.

I initially had a lot of issues keeping my inventory under control because I was trying to ensure that I had all of the Master Notes for the potions. Once I had those completed things started to become more manageable. I've been deleting all ingredients for Invigoration Potions (Don't really need to worry about Focus at my level yet) and Wits Sharpening Potions (ditto. Roughly when do Elite enemies start showing up in towers?), and just been keeping a steady cauldron queue of Dawdle Draughts, Exstimulo potions, and the odd healing potion and brain elixer. Sometimes I need to delete a few other ingredients (Bubotuber Pus, Dragon Liver), but for the most part, it's much better than when I first started. My biggest problem with ingredients is I've run out of Butterscotch.

It's hard for me to view this game without comparing it to Pokemon Go, and my memories of the early days are sketchy, but I do seem to recall a similar problem of running low on balls unless I was picky about what I tried to catch. Depending on where I am, I can have a similar problem or no problem. Like it was stated above: Location location location. When the event started I was having brunch with friends and wandering around a trendy neighborhood. I ended up going after every trace until it was caught or disappeared, and still always had maxed out energy. Back at my place, I have to be a lot more conservative.

Event-wise, I've finished up the Unicorn as well as the Gryphon. In my experience, the Unicorn is much more common in the evening (roughly 8 pm - 8 am) than in the day, and also seems more common in and around areas where Care of Magical Creatures & Magizoology traces are found. Don't know whether that's just me though. I should be finished the quest line tomorrow once I hit up a tower for my daily challenge. That'll just leave the two registries. I got one of the spiders today, and have 10 more runestones, so I think I'm in good shape there. I'm concerned about the Portmanteaus, though. I think that only about 25% of the Portmanteaus that I've picked up have been brilliant, and I only have 2 so far. Hopefully I can clear some more space and pick up some more Brilliant ones.

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Turns out Portkeys don't work on my phone. Scuttlebutt is it's something to do with not providing the necessary spatial sensing hardware. I know the Moto G series doesn't have a magnetometer, which has provided mild annoyance in the past.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
I'm concerned about the Portmanteaus, though. I think that only about 25% of the Portmanteaus that I've picked up have been brilliant, and I only have 2 so far. Hopefully I can clear some more space and pick up some more Brilliant ones.
Not being able to manage portmanteaus like everything else that takes up inventory slots is puzzling. There are a finite number of slots for them, as far as I can tell, and you don't know what kind you're picking up until it's in your possession. Is that to stop people from ignoring all the 2km portmanteaus and focusing solely on the longer distances and specials like the brilliant variety?

Kovbasa

Validated User
Turns out Portkeys don't work on my phone. Scuttlebutt is it's something to do with not providing the necessary spatial sensing hardware. I know the Moto G series doesn't have a magnetometer, which has provided mild annoyance in the past.
That would suck, and make the game almost completely unplayable. I hope you can find a workaround.

Not being able to manage portmanteaus like everything else that takes up inventory slots is puzzling. There are a finite number of slots for them, as far as I can tell, and you don't know what kind you're picking up until it's in your possession. Is that to stop people from ignoring all the 2km portmanteaus and focusing solely on the longer distances and specials like the brilliant variety?
I suspect that's exactly it. Especially once it's determined what you can get from each level of Portmanteau. You probably need a lot more fragments only obtainable in the higher-distance ones.

<Shrug> I'm okay with the way they've got it right now. I cycle through them pretty regularly. It'll be better if they implement something like Adventure Sync in PG.

I've been looking online for more info on Formidable Pixies, and it's being theorized that your opponents in wizard challenges is affected heavily by your profession. Professors apparently have an increased spawn rate for Pixies, while Magizoologists (like me) will find them only rarely. If true, I'm going to be rather pissed off. It seems like a very BS way to encourage multiplayer, and really punishes solo play.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm up to three Formidable Pixies, so yeah, it's slow going.

OTOH I have almost completed the event stuff. All I need is another Young Acromantula to complete the page, and that should be easy enough with the eight runestones I have left.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
Is there a benefit to completing the Mysteries apart from background knowledge? They don’t appear to prestige like the others.

-Thornhammer

Kovbasa

Validated User
Not that I've seen yet. There's an achievement for uncovering them, which awards some gold at level 2 (can't remember what it gave you at level 1), but that's all I've seen so far

Kuildeous

Validated User
I've been looking online for more info on Formidable Pixies, and it's being theorized that your opponents in wizard challenges is affected heavily by your profession. Professors apparently have an increased spawn rate for Pixies, while Magizoologists (like me) will find them only rarely. If true, I'm going to be rather pissed off. It seems like a very BS way to encourage multiplayer, and really punishes solo play.
I'm a Professor, and I ran into far more pixies than erklings. I can't say that this is accurate, but if you're taking a poll, my experience seems to give that some credibility.

But you can change professions without penalty it seems. I accidentally switched professions, but when I reverted back, my professions tree remained the same. Considering there are achievements for making advances in all three professions, this is probably to be expected.

So maybe switching to Professor is a good idea for this. And you can improve a few skills to complete achievements.

Kovbasa

Validated User
So maybe switching to Professor is a good idea for this. And you can improve a few skills to complete achievements.
I've been considering doing that, but I'm already at the point where it's starting to get time-consuming obtaining enough scrolls to advance in the Magizoologist tree. I'm a bit loathe to start on another tree. I may try to just power through a level-3 fortress with no levels in Professor just on the strength of potions alone, but I suspect that that will be painfully grindy.

Ultimately, as annoyed as I am, I'm more bothered by the final leg of that quest chain. It requires you to complete I Fortress battle as a team with 2 other players. I suspect that the only way that I'll be able to complete that one is a combination of sheer luck and spending hours waiting in front of a fortress for other players to come along. Not. Fun.

I finished the even over the weekend. I still have to get 1 more sticker from both fortress battles and Portmanteaus, but I've got a fair amount of both. With my limited experience, I'm finding about a 50% drop rate on the fortresses, and about a 2/3 rate for the portmanteaus. I don't know if that's exceptionally lucky or pretty typical.

I'm curious about how often they plan to have events like this. The bonuses in runestones, scrolls, and gold definitely make them worth actively trying to complete even before you add in that they're the only source of green books (so far).

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
Playing as a professor, I've been stuck on the formidable pixies task for what feels like at least a week now. I haven't done more than one challenge a day since last Monday, and I tend to see about one formidable pixie every two days. Currently at 6 out of 10. I'd love to know if there was information out there about an optimal mix of fortress levels and runestone types that might spawn pixies more often than others.

Top Bottom