• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Harry Potter: Wizards Unite

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
Honestly (and I can't believe I'm typing this), I'm starting to feel a little burnout from the events. Or maybe it's just a lot of concern about it. It's early, but we seem to be having an event just about every other week. Don't get me wrong - I'm loving the scrolls and restricted books, but with Portmanteaus being such a big part of it, silver keys are being more and more valuable, and I can see it easily getting to the point where any coins earned go towards buying enough keys to finish that part of the event.
It seems like the reasoning runs that they gate character development behind restricted books, and then use a flurry of events to drive the player base to engage constantly in the early days of the game, presumably to inflate the number of store transactions as people pay to speed up progress.

Personally, I've had my fill of the screen being flooded with purple foundables every other week. They're starting to feel like a distraction, requiring a good deal of effort that doesn't go toward the larger goal of filling in the main registry pages, which, as you say, are going to take months to fill out before getting to prestiging.

Kuildeous

Validated User
Personally, I've had my fill of the screen being flooded with purple foundables every other week. They're starting to feel like a distraction, requiring a good deal of effort that doesn't go toward the larger goal of filling in the main registry pages, which, as you say, are going to take months to fill out before getting to prestiging.
My take on those brilliant traces is that they provided 2 or 3 XP each, which was higher than the common traces, so I used those to get scrolls faster. Or maybe I just wanted to find some optimism.

Honestly (and I can't believe I'm typing this), I'm starting to feel a little burnout from the events. Or maybe it's just a lot of concern about it. It's early, but we seem to be having an event just about every other week. Don't get me wrong - I'm loving the scrolls and restricted books, but with Portmanteaus being such a big part of it, silver keys are being more and more valuable, and I can see it easily getting to the point where any coins earned go towards buying enough keys to finish that part of the event.
I read that the event portkeys will be 3km, which will relieve a lot of pressure from people, I think. If true, then that means that Nantic is listening.

I also noticed a lot of purples this morning. Granted, they were mostly goddamn leprechauns, but maybe they’re increasing the purple count. Granted, after dawn, I don’t see a lot of purple right now, so I’m not sure what that means.

Kovbasa

Validated User
My take on those brilliant traces is that they provided 2 or 3 XP each, which was higher than the common traces, so I used those to get scrolls faster. Or maybe I just wanted to find some optimism.
I've got a weird love/hate relationship with those traces. They give pretty good family & regular XP (though it was disappointing when they dropped it back a couple days into the Potter event), but for every one that I can get in less than 3 casts, it seems that there's one that takes at least 10. For the second part of the last event I stopped going after the brilliant traces once I had all the necessary fragments unless I needed them for part of the quest line.

I read that the event portkeys will be 3km, which will relieve a lot of pressure from people, I think. If true, then that means that Nantic is listening.
That would definitely be nice. I've got a new job and while I do love it, it doesn't leave me much time to walk those portkeys.

I also noticed a lot of purples this morning. Granted, they were mostly goddamn leprechauns, but maybe they’re increasing the purple count. Granted, after dawn, I don’t see a lot of purple right now, so I’m not sure what that means.
It could be. It still seems that they're still more common from early evening on, but a little boost during the day would be appreciated. Honestly the only two Oddities that I've had an issue with finding (not counting the ones only available as challenge rewards) are the werewolf & the doxy. Not that that's particularly surprising considering the restraints on them spawning. I suppose Pixies are relatively rare as well, but since you only need one (at least initially) I haven't been too put out by them.

I'm going to have to find some time to spend running challenges. I need 2 more Power to be able to one-shot Erkling & Vampire oddities, and 2-shot Night Serpent oddities without criticals. Problem is, I need a minimum of 14 more spellbooks to grab that skill. Long-term, I wonder if they aren't going to have to introduce a new way to gain spellbooks. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, it's where the big bottleneck is, and if they add more lessons the problem is going to get worse.

Kuildeous

Validated User
Oh yeah, and as I unlock an event portkey today and leveled up the brilliant, I realized we got 5 scrolls instead of 4, which is another reason I chose to catch brilliant traces. It's not a huge boost, but it helps a little.

Tarion

Validated User
It could be. It still seems that they're still more common from early evening on, but a little boost during the day would be appreciated. Honestly the only two Oddities that I've had an issue with finding (not counting the ones only available as challenge rewards) are the werewolf & the doxy. Not that that's particularly surprising considering the restraints on them spawning. I suppose Pixies are relatively rare as well, but since you only need one (at least initially) I haven't been too put out by them.
Yeah, at my latitude, at this time of year, Doxies are gone by 6.30am. I'm enjoying the game, but not enough to be up, out of bed and playing the game for then.

In another month or two, it should push back enough that I can get them sorted without disrupting my sleep schedule.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
I've got a weird love/hate relationship with those traces. They give pretty good family & regular XP (though it was disappointing when they dropped it back a couple days into the Potter event), but for every one that I can get in less than 3 casts, it seems that there's one that takes at least 10. For the second part of the last event I stopped going after the brilliant traces once I had all the necessary fragments unless I needed them for part of the quest line.
That sums it up well. The amount of energy one can suck up makes me want to ignore them all, even considering the slight increase in rewards.

For this event, I'm going to try focusing on the tasks and let the foundables in the wild take care of themselves. Some of the tasks usually involve catching so many brilliant foundables, or foundables of a particular severity. After the tasks are done, anything left will be like mopping up.

EDIT: And here are the tasks and rewards. It all seems pretty manageable. Sounds like the brilliant foundables in the wild will be all four Hogwarts students.

Last edited:

Kovbasa

Validated User
This event definitely has a different feel than the other ones. First there's the lower difficulty of the brilliant foundables, then they lowered the event XP level cap (likely because the more common brilliant foundables give less family XP themselves). As Kuildeous mentioned, the Brilliant Portmanteaus are only 3 km, which should definitely help with those challenges. This will definitely encourage me to keep collecting brilliant foundables after I've completed the registry and task list.

Speaking of those, I'm a little confused by leg 2 off the tasks - specifically the part that says "Obtain 3 Portkeys by unlocking Portmanteaus". I'm assuming that it's just a more convaluted way of saying "open 3 portmanteaus", but I finished unlocking one of my 7 km ones left over from the previous event and it didn't help with the task. Does it specifically mean the 3 km ones for this event (which would make sense), or something else?

The only real issue I'm seeing so far is that with 4 brilliant foundables it can be hard to find the ones needed for an appropriate task. It took me a surprising amount of time to find my 2 Slytherin students. Definitely not a huge issue, though.

EDIT: Also, for those of you who (like me) don't track the moon, werewolves are spawning at night again. I managed to find one last night, so just one more to finish that leg of the SOS challenges, and 3 more to get the sticker (at which point I "just" need another 9 bows to prestige).

Last edited:

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
Speaking of those, I'm a little confused by leg 2 off the tasks - specifically the part that says "Obtain 3 Portkeys by unlocking Portmanteaus". I'm assuming that it's just a more convaluted way of saying "open 3 portmanteaus", but I finished unlocking one of my 7 km ones left over from the previous event and it didn't help with the task. Does it specifically mean the 3 km ones for this event (which would make sense), or something else?
At least one 2km portmanteau I opened today counted for that task, so perhaps they have to be portmanteaux that were acquired after the event began.

Kovbasa

Validated User
At least one 2km portmanteau I opened today counted for that task, so perhaps they have to be portmanteaux that were acquired after the event began.
That could definitely be it. I've also since read that it might require you to just start the portmanteau after the event started. Either way makes sense, what with them dropping 4 km off of the brilliant portmanteaus.

Fedifensor

Validated User
That was a fast event. It started at noon yesterday, and I was done before I went to bed. Guess it helps to setup multiple 2 km portkeys in advance, and time things so I unlock them just after hitting Stage 2.

Top Bottom