• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Has anyone run Anima Prime before?

Octopus Prime

Retired User
So in the next week or two, I'm going to be running a game of Anima Prime, loosely based on the Kingdom Hearts games. It's a game I've been wanting to run for a long time, casting the heroes as various Disney characters who have been Uplifted by Mickey Mouse, given the ability to walk between worlds and tasked with setting them to rights. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm very much into "surreal" as a tone.
I've never run - or played - Anima Prime, nor do I know anyone who has. I heard about it through a Mythcreants review, and it is absolutely the perfect system for this type of game.
My main concern is the lack of mechanics for non-combat encounters. Anima Prime has a very crunchy - and totally ingenious - combat system, but everything outside of combat is almost totally freeform. I'm considering going so far as to splice in mechanics from another game - such as Masks or Fate - to handle non-combat encounters.
Anyways, if anyone has played AP before and has thoughts, please share.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I’ve run it before. You are correct, the game has next to no outside-of-combat mechanics. At the time, I was doing a very combat-heavy game, so it wasn’t a big deal.

I’ve actually been playing with the idea of using some form of the Freeform Universal RPG for outside-of-combat task resolution, I just haven’t yet had a pitch where I wanted both things to hit strong enough for me to justify the work of cramming them together. That said, given how few mechanics of AP even try to poke at any outside-of-combat stuff, with the game basically assuming you’ll be back to 0 for every given combat, I think you could mesh it with just about anything on the loose end of the spectrum and have it work okay.

Octopus Prime

Retired User
So my current solution is to graft on a lightweight version of Powered by the Apocalypse, with a simple tri-stat (Body/Mind/Heart), and I would say that it works pretty well. The tone of this game is "Big Fights, Big Feels", so there's not a whole lot of rolling to be done outside of combat in the first place.
I'm already planning my next game, which is going to be an Avatar: The Last Airbender campaign using Anima Prime for combat and Legend of the Elements (the PbtA off-brand Avatar setting) for everything else. I'm finding AP and PbtA to be a chocolate and peanut butter mix; PbtA does a lot of things well, but combat is not one of them.

Top Bottom