• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

HBS BATTLETECH #2: Dakka Dakka Decker (RIP)

Codename: Omega

Banned
So, to continue discussion - has this change in Bulwark that people are talking about actually been implemented in the full game yet, or is it still beta?

Radio Free Ruritania

WWSWLiHND?
Validated User
So, to continue discussion - has this change in Bulwark that people are talking about actually been implemented in the full game yet, or is it still beta?
Still in beta. I've been hurrying to finish my current campaign before auto-update changes all my skills (Although by my standards 'hurrying' means to stop looking for a second King Crab before heading to Coromodir) I'll then have a short rest and probably start up a beta campaign.

Kovbasa

Validated User
So I stopped playing after the big weapon balance patch - not because I didn't like it, but because I tried my free copy of Stellaris and got sucked into it. Just fired up Battletech, and I have to say that I'm really liking the variety of events that are happening now. The stability changes are good, although I do miss how easy it was to knock over braced assaults.

I'm still just using my original game, flying around and grinding rep and trying to collect all the missing mechs. Somehow, I managed to get over 100 rep with Steiner in really short order. Did I get lucky, or have they increased the chance of Steiner/Kurita contracts popping up?

As far as the changes to the skill tree go, does anybody know how it's going to work with existing games? Will there be an automatic "respec" or something?

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One automatic respec of all pilots.

They recommend copying your save game if you want to be able to try out different things.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Yeah, I really don't want to be forced into the gamey playstyle of making a "tank" mech to draw all the fire. Too big a burden on suspension of disbelief. If the enemies can see that a given mech is armoured to hell and back and only carries light armament, it makes no sense that they'd be concentrating their fire on it rather than the cannons with eggshells behind it. But if the ability update takes away the primary means of damage mitigation in the game - the old version of Bulwark - and even, astonishingly, nerfs evasion further, I fear that that playstyle may become a requirement.

And this will probably ruin the game for me, sad to say, because I simply don't want to play like that. It's a pure AI exploit that makes no in-character sense.

VladTaltos

Validated User
Yeah. I do see some of that in MWO, (I don't play but have watech a streamer or two) but that's with 12 mechs to a side, where you can actually form a real firing line. When it's my one lance vs 2+ others, I feel like this isn't going to cut it. And certainly not in a way I want to play. Guess if this goes live I won't be getting the DLC after all. Which would be a shame, this game has done more to make me like the Battletech universe than any BT game before it. :(

Winterland

Help, help. I am being repressed
Validated User
I finally got this game now that it was on sale, and all of a sudden there are a lot of negativity. What gives?

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I finally got this game now that it was on sale, and all of a sudden there are a lot of negativity. What gives?
They've made a major revision to both the major defensive mechanics in the game. It sounds like it both guts the run-away best defensive approach (taking the Bulwark skill and using it, basically) and weakens the already weak alternative (run around a lot and hope the evasion makes the most important enemy shots miss), while introducing a replacement that...well, seems cripplingly circumstantial unless you can manipulate the AI in ways you really shouldn't be able to.

I think many of us haven't seen it in action, so there's that. But I can't say I've seen anyone who has tried the revised system standing up for it either...

Nightward

IntranationalManOfMisery
Banned
Validated User
It is worth noting that the game is already punishingly difficult because they aren't able to do the enemy forces/reinforcements thing the way they intended to- reinforcements were supposed to spawn in later and move up, but since they couldn't get that to work right they start on the map with the initial force you were supposed to fight and start moving in as soon as you're detected, which leads to being rapidly outnumbered and outgunned.

Which made it all the more important to rely on knockdown mechanics and Bulwark.

But they already killed most of the knockdown mechanics and still believe the game is too easy.

It's honestly one of the most egregious examples I've ever seen of balancing for the really high-end players instead of the majority. Like imagine if the entirety of WoW was tuned to Raid difficulty or something.

Top Bottom