• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

HBS BATTLETECH #2: Dakka Dakka Decker (RIP)

Fedifensor

Validated User
I've never much enjoyed using AC/20s. If a weapon needs ammo, I want enough for at least ten shots per battle. For AC/20 that's a few extra tons of ammo per weapon and the cannons themselves are not light! I usually keep to AC/2 and AC/5s for long-range firepower, then using banks of SRMs and medium lasers for close-in firepower.
The mech with the most kills in my lance is a King Crab with 2 AC/20+++. Called shots are terrifying. 25 total shots, so 12 for each gun with one spare. Has some MLs to supplement, but nothing shrugs off 2 120-point hits to the same location. Sometimes I’ll only fire 1 AC/20, either for heat purposes or because 2 would be overkill, so I have yet to run out of ammo in a mission.

Granted, if I could find multiple Gauss Rifle+ and the ammo for them, I’d use that instead.

Nelzie

Validated User
I do have serious love for that Highlander, probably because it is the SLDF one with free weight and more tonnage of armor. The jump jets and it's arsenal of weapons, make it the first BAD ASS Assault Mech in my Lance.

The Cyclops? Meh... It's been a nice warhorse and will continue to be, but it just lacks that PUNCH being primarily a missile boat with that relatively low damage trio of medium pew pew bois it carries. (I have been extremely happy that I lucked out with being able to salvage it in my first Clash of the Titans mission .)

ESkemp

Validated User
I'm still disappointed that the first time my Highlander gauss rifled off the head of another Highlander, that a "There Can Be Only One" achievement didn't pop. I had to put on some Queen anyway.

ubergeek2012

Validated User
I always liked to add a few big LRM launchers to the Gauss Rifle and make it a fire support mech.

One thing I only discovered recently is that in the early game a Hunchback 4G can make a decent Sniperback with 2 large lasers and an AC/5. I always tended to think of it as a close in brawler, so I never really messed with other roles much. But sometimes things come up in career mode when you're trying to work with what you have.

Nelzie

Validated User
I'm still disappointed that the first time my Highlander gauss rifled off the head of another Highlander, that a "There Can Be Only One" achievement didn't pop. I had to put on some Queen anyway.
Clearly, they missed that.

I may just hop on the boards and suggest that as an achievement...

Nelzie

Validated User
I always liked to add a few big LRM launchers to the Gauss Rifle and make it a fire support mech.

One thing I only discovered recently is that in the early game a Hunchback 4G can make a decent Sniperback with 2 large lasers and an AC/5. I always tended to think of it as a close in brawler, so I never really messed with other roles much. But sometimes things come up in career mode when you're trying to work with what you have.
Oh... that sounds like a nice long range build. I might have to give that a go and toss one of my Master Tacticians Mechwarriors into that for the Target Lock early enough so that everyone can see the baddies.

Kovbasa

Validated User
The mech with the most kills in my lance is a King Crab with 2 AC/20+++. Called shots are terrifying. 25 total shots, so 12 for each gun with one spare. Has some MLs to supplement, but nothing shrugs off 2 120-point hits to the same location. Sometimes I’ll only fire 1 AC/20, either for heat purposes or because 2 would be overkill, so I have yet to run out of ammo in a mission.

Granted, if I could find multiple Gauss Rifle+ and the ammo for them, I’d use that instead.
That's where I'm at. The only thing better than my King Crab with 2 AC/20+++ & 2 ML+++ is my Atlas II with 2 AC/20+++, 3 ML+++, and 2 SRM6+++.

I also love the Royal Highlander. It's great for moving around, scouting, knocking down enemies after my missile boat unsteadies them, and finishing off anything that somehow survives multiple AC/20 hits. After getting a gauss rifle +, I swapped out the original one and used the saved weight to beef up my leg armour.

I tried putting together a "clanbuster" King Crab, but was woefully disappointed. Maybe its just comparing it to the raw damage of its original form, but it seems to be less useful than the Highlander. I may give it another shot if I can scrounge up some more DHS or GR+.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I've never much enjoyed using AC/20s. If a weapon needs ammo, I want enough for at least ten shots per battle. For AC/20 that's a few extra tons of ammo per weapon and the cannons themselves are not light! I usually keep to AC/2 and AC/5s for long-range firepower, then using banks of SRMs and medium lasers for close-in firepower.
I found the best murder machines to have AC/20 with packs of SRM's, but that was much earlier before changes to Called Shot.

I'd go AC/20+++ with 3 tons of ammo and 4×SMR6+++ on an HGN-733. Jump capable murder machines. Have to slap in a double heat sink or two and even then I had two of them so I could let one cool off while the other one fired.

For the HGN-732b I found I like just upgrading it. Like all the same sort of weaponry just with as much +damage gear as possible. Like I'd take that LRM++ (with +4 damage) over LRM+++ (with +2 damage and the stability damage). Three of those went on the HGN-733P.

Yeah, I really like Highlanders.

Top Bottom