• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

HBS BATTLETECH #2: Dakka Dakka Decker (RIP)

ESkemp

Validated User
Well, I finally got my "fight a heavy other than a Quickdraw" wish. But you know how wishes work. It was a Catapult, showing up as part of reinforcements in a second lance that also boasted a pair of Trebuchets. So. Many. LRMs. From out of sight distance, no less. The Catapult ran out of missiles and had to close, they shot at us so much. Wish I'd had the leisure to try for something other than coring it out, but it was pretty rough.

Nelzie

Validated User
Well, I finally got my "fight a heavy other than a Quickdraw" wish. But you know how wishes work. It was a Catapult, showing up as part of reinforcements in a second lance that also boasted a pair of Trebuchets. So. Many. LRMs. From out of sight distance, no less. The Catapult ran out of missiles and had to close, they shot at us so much. Wish I'd had the leisure to try for something other than coring it out, but it was pretty rough.
That CAT is one of my favorite mechs. It's the first BT mini that I bought too. There's just something about that design that clicks with me, even the K2 variant.

I've seen them a few times in missions, I'm hoping to see a few more so that I can finish off the partial salvaged ones I do have. Might try outa Large Laser, SRM Boat.

ubergeek2012

Validated User
Yeah GR + 2 LRM15s should be doable.
I'm not at my home computer, but if I recall correctly I managed to fit the GR, LRM15, LRM20, Jump Jets, and near max armor. Maybe I needed to sacrifice some armor for more ammo, but it was so long range it didn't take much fire anyway.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I'd go AC/20+++ with 3 tons of ammo and 4×SMR6+++ on an HGN-733. Jump capable murder machines. Have to slap in a double heat sink or two and even then I had two of them so I could let one cool off while the other one fired.
I'd love to know where this infinite fountain of +++ weapons and double heat sinks are... :p

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I'd love to know where this infinite fountain of +++ weapons and double heat sinks are... :p
Late game...but also as close to that as I could get. The primary HGN-733 had 4x+++ but the second one had mostly ++ gear. I'd frequently check every store I game across and would buy better gear and I mostly went for max salvage and would frequently take better gear over yet another Thud part (it seemed like every single fight had 2 or 3 Thuds).

lowpassage

Validated User
Interest tidbit. If you repeatedly fail to help Liao relieve the Steiner siege, you can farm infinite Atlases!
Now that I've attempted Siegebreaker and failed without trying to, I want to ask...

1. Will the flashpoint just show up again at some point later?
2. What effect does the choice you make have?

In particular...
Spoiler: Show
Is the third misson a base attack/defense no matter what? I did not enjoy that mission. Especially because I was mopping up the last couple of enemies when I lost because my last ally went down.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes it shows up again fairly quickly (maybe when you move to another system?).

The missions are always the same, the trick on the

Spoiler: Show
final mission is to take out the initial enemies, 4 attackers, 4 defenders, then send a mech with decent firepower to attack the enemy base. None of the enemy mechs will move to protect it, so if you can spare a mech to go wide and get to it, they won't chase after it. The rest of your mechs (if they have Bulwark pilots) bunker down in the big park in the middle of the map and hold out until your lone mech takes out the enemy buildings. I used a 4ML/5SML Grasshopper (200 damage), and it killed one building per turn.

The first time I did it I told both my "allies" to stay home. They show up anyway, manning turrets (total of 4 turrets). The second time I chose the non-criminal one. Either way, I think you get the lance of your choice (minus any mechs that got destroyed earlier) and the other ally get killed off screen or something.

It's probably best to have one of them on the field, if only as extra targets early on.

When I won, I ran Grasshopper, Thunderbolt, Centurion, and the Raven, and abused Reserve to stay cloaked until initiative 1 and then fire and recloak. When I could, I'd try to shield my allies.

The enemy has to kill 7 buildings to win, and they tend to scatter shots around, so you can shoot some to get them to come after you and leave others to pound on your buildings for a while until you're ready to kill them, or your flank mech has killed your target 4 buildings.

Nelzie

Validated User
I have begun to despise a pair of things...

Demolisher heavy tanks and their flippin' 2x AC20!!!! SO MUCH ANGER!!!

...and enemy mechs with like a gazillion LRMs (and ballistics) and the ability to see me from across a map, without any enemy mechs in line of site, nor with any target locks in place.

How do they have line of site at such distances when I do not have the same and my mechs are directly facing them too?

Top Bottom