• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

HBS BATTLETECH #2: Dakka Dakka Decker (RIP)

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Demolishers are one of things that can make even a 400-ton lance stop and reevaluate the situation. Frankly though, the range on AC/20s is so anemic and tanks in general are so weak that they're only really dangerous if they pop out at point-blank range.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
...and enemy mechs with like a gazillion LRMs (and ballistics) and the ability to see me from across a map, without any enemy mechs in line of site, nor with any target locks in place.

How do they have line of site at such distances when I do not have the same and my mechs are directly facing them too?
Team LOS.

What happens, and you can (and should!) be doing this to the bad guys as well, is that once ONE mech can see something, everyone else on your team can target them IF they're within range. (Thus, your MGs and small lasers can't be revved up but your PPCs and, most importantly, your LRMs, can!) … so you can have your mecha hang back while one lead mech serves as a spotter, letting you rain death from afar. In the early game, this is Dekker's job, skittering about in a light mech with Sensor Lock, letting you paint the badguys while staying out of LOS.

Now, if you're on the uhoh side of that equasion, your job is to do terrible, just *terrible* things to their spotter, to deny them the pencil rain.

The LRMs have been downgraded from where they were when I was playing but they're still quite good.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
...and enemy mechs with like a gazillion LRMs (and ballistics) and the ability to see me from across a map, without any enemy mechs in line of site, nor with any target locks in place.
You're almost certainly wrong about there being no target locks and no enemy mechs in LoS. As Wakshaani says the missile boat doesn't need direct spotting to fire, but the enemy team does.
How do they have line of site at such distances when I do not have the same and my mechs are directly facing them too?
Facing isn't relevant to spotting, I'm really quite sure.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
I'd like to point out that there are items in the game that (slightly!) increase the mech's vision range. I'm not sure the AI actually uses them, but if it does, that can explain how someone you can't see could see you and thus work as a spotter.

ESkemp

Validated User
I've certainly had issues where I thought nobody had line of sight to me, and then all of a sudden when I turn the camera just so, I see some asshole is standing up on top of a tall building directing fire, or something like that. But yeah, I hope for its sake that the AI doesn't give the role of spotter to anybody it actually likes, because spotters gots to die.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Vehicles can also be out of LoS in minor dips in terrain, but still able to see your mechs.

Nelzie

Validated User
Or hidden in forests and the like. Trees reduce the range that you can see someone at.
Okay, well that explains what I was seeing then.

Enemy mechs and vehicles were clearly within what should have been LOS to me, as in they were clearly seeing me with direct fire weapons, but it also looked like they might have JUST been far enough behind a small rise that they could have lost LOS. So, I had no idea how my mechs were being targeted.

IT was the dam trees!

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Okay, well that explains what I was seeing then.

Enemy mechs and vehicles were clearly within what should have been LOS to me, as in they were clearly seeing me with direct fire weapons, but it also looked like they might have JUST been far enough behind a small rise that they could have lost LOS. So, I had no idea how my mechs were being targeted.

IT was the dam trees!
😆 Moments like that make me wish there were some kind of napalm payload you could use with your missiles to burn away cover and the like. The game is really missing a lot of the strategic elements of Battletech that only seem to come out in the novels and the big campaign books.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
😆 Moments like that make me wish there were some kind of napalm payload you could use with your missiles to burn away cover and the like. The game is really missing a lot of the strategic elements of Battletech that only seem to come out in the novels and the big campaign books.
That's one thing I'll give the old Titans of Steel knock-off game. Most energy weapons could set forest or scrub hexes on fire (which could spread), as could flamers and napalm missiles. Additionaly, they could turn snow or ice into cover-providing steam, and melt ice lakes so that it turned into a water hex. There was some thorough environment manipulation in that thing.

Top Bottom