• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

HBS BATTLETECH #2: Dakka Dakka Decker (RIP)

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, that's why you give it JJs, as many small lasers you can give it, an Arm Mod, and just play PunchBot 3000 with it.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
See, I love the Banshee because it's one of the more realistic designs out there. It fits into the reality of BattleTech so very much better than, say, the Blitzkreig, a terribly over-engine chicken that sports a single Ultra AC/20 with no backup weapons and only enough ammo to do one trick … it runs around like a gonzo Emu behind enemy mechs and shoots them in the back with a double-tap cannon.

The end.

I will hate that damn mech until the day I die.

The Banshee, meanwhile, was a massive machine of the day, sporting modern weapons that weren't in the BEST configuration but hey, they were still figuring this stuff out. It had both anti-tank and anti-infantry caapbilities, had appropriate speed for the size (perhaps a tad too fast, but that let it keep up with line mechs like the Warhammer or Battlemaster, so it was an effective speed if not great for the size), and could stay in the field without resupply for a time but was better with AC reloads handy.

It had the good visage, the bipedal, and man-like, construction of the day and, well, it just *feels* cool. It was outdone by other mechs … not just the Star League specials but even other mechs of the day were often better … but it existed and if you got one, well, you dealt with that hand as best you could. Assaults were rare and precious and not many people *really* knew what they could do, they just had ano outsized legend.

So when you saw a Banshee start stomping your way and the sensors pinged it as a 95 ton monster, you crapped yourself a little and started sounding the retreat, even if the thing wasn't as big of a threat as the Warhammers you took down earlier. It was just intimidating in a way that few others were, despite not being all that great.

(See also: the Atlas)

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Oh, it turns out I had (once again) confused the Banshee with the Charger.

Charger is the silly one. Banshee is clearly sub-optimal but has nothing on the Charger in terms of uselessness.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, it turns out I had (once again) confused the Banshee with the Charger.

Charger is the silly one. Banshee is clearly sub-optimal but has nothing on the Charger in terms of uselessness.
A surprisingly common mistake. :)

The Charger's great in a thematic way … it was *clearly* someone in appropriations was paying off a business partner or cousin with a contract for a machine that in no way, shape, form, or fashion deserved to exist. One of those defense department foibles that people look at down the line and go, "$250 for a hammer? DaFuq?!" Chargers got made, people got paid, then officers had to figure out what to do with this THING that just showed up on base with a note that it was general so-and-so's baby and that you WILL find a way to highlight it for the presentation in three months.

Ironicly, because the Banshee was put in reserve due to being an assault monster whose time to shine had passed and the Charger was sent to meaningless worlds because, well, *Charger*, they both survived the massive damage of the Rebellion and the first three Succession Wars, to wind up in decent numbers, with good reserves of spare parts, in the 3025 era. Being shitty saved them.

And that's just fantastic.

Fedifensor

Validated User
The Charger's great in a thematic way … it was *clearly* someone in appropriations was paying off a business partner or cousin with a contract for a machine that in no way, shape, form, or fashion deserved to exist. One of those defense department foibles that people look at down the line and go, "$250 for a hammer? DaFuq?!" Chargers got made, people got paid, then officers had to figure out what to do with this THING that just showed up on base with a note that it was general so-and-so's baby and that you WILL find a way to highlight it for the presentation in three months.

Ironicly, because the Banshee was put in reserve due to being an assault monster whose time to shine had passed and the Charger was sent to meaningless worlds because, well, *Charger*, they both survived the massive damage of the Rebellion and the first three Succession Wars, to wind up in decent numbers, with good reserves of spare parts, in the 3025 era. Being shitty saved them.
Can you imagine being a Charger pilot when your House calls you in to tell you your mech has been chosen to test this new hardware called an "XL Engine"...? :)

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heh.

"XL engine? Baby, they don't GET larger than this!" *revs the engine*
"No, no, XL means-"
"Extra LAAARRRRRRRRGE!" *stomps off at high speed*
*sigh*

lowpassage

Validated User
I finally got a Clash of the Titans mission, and now I have a Banshee of my very own! :D

(3M variant, specifically.)

Nelzie

Validated User
I've finished off the main campaign and I have started off one of those 1200 day time limit campaigns. It's starting off quite nice.

The random engine tossed me two Vindicators, a Panther, a Spider and a Firestarter.

You know what all those PPCs mean? Yep... quick as heck death for the enemy!

But... I have been thinking, now that the main campaign is over... hopping onto Nexus and downloading the community mod expansions. I have read that a game can start off in 3050, providing access to LosTech, XL engines, engine swaps period and a number of other nifty bits too.

Dulahan

Validated User
Wow, that's an awesome start. I spent an hour one day trying to get a decent starting stable and still never got anything like that.

Top Bottom