• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

HBS BATTLETECH #2: Dakka Dakka Decker (RIP)

Nelzie

Validated User
It really was a fantastic start.

I was able to clear three missions on the planet that I started on, before needing to take two days to repair a mech! Those PPCs, early on, are the BOMB!

Anyway... I'm strongly considering scrapping the game and starting over with the Community Asset Bundle and the BattleTech Advanced 3062 Mods. 500 new mechs, piles of tanks and other vehicles... Allegedly face new and different foes each drop, with additional tweaks to allow some choice in fixing up salvaged mechs and allegedly the ability to salvage one mech out of bits from two or three variants.

Either that or the Extended 3025 mod. I've had my fun in the vanilla game.

Nelzie

Validated User
The Battletech Advanced 3062 Mod is REALLY nifty. I've already seen all kinds of new mechs and even have a couple of variants that I've never seen before in my lance.

I DO NOT dig on the Phoenix Hawk that I have though... it's pitifully undergunned. :-\

Nelzie

Validated User
I restarted, because my initial random mech loadout was hurting more than helping with the Advanced 3062 mod.

This new lance... at least it has three pretty useful mechs.

A Vindicator with PPC, ML, SML and LRM5
A Locust with ML and 2xLRM5
A Spider that had ML and Flamer, but I have changed it to2xML
Then the... less cool mechs...
Urban Mech - Really to slow for most missions, but it might prove good in a base defense mission
Blackjack - 4xML and 4x Flamers. NO jump jets, it's hard to prove useful with this config, because it takes many rounds to get in close for those flamers to do their thing.

The AI is hella difficult, but every once in a while it makes some really poor mistakes, with simply running, instead of moving away and taking some shots.

The Ability for flamers to light up a forest hex though? HOLY CRAP! Plus, the fires randomly spread each round, creating all kinds of havoc over the battlefield.

The missions are tough with the other changes too. I'm going to lose a lot of mechs and pilots as this game progresses...

Zippy

Buggy Coder
Validated User
A surprisingly common mistake. :)

The Charger's great in a thematic way … it was *clearly* someone in appropriations was paying off a business partner or cousin with a contract for a machine that in no way, shape, form, or fashion deserved to exist. One of those defense department foibles that people look at down the line and go, "$250 for a hammer? DaFuq?!" Chargers got made, people got paid, then officers had to figure out what to do with this THING that just showed up on base with a note that it was general so-and-so's baby and that you WILL find a way to highlight it for the presentation in three months.

Ironicly, because the Banshee was put in reserve due to being an assault monster whose time to shine had passed and the Charger was sent to meaningless worlds because, well, *Charger*, they both survived the massive damage of the Rebellion and the first three Succession Wars, to wind up in decent numbers, with good reserves of spare parts, in the 3025 era. Being shitty saved them.

And that's just fantastic.
I love how the original 3025 House Marik book showed that the Free Worlds League was still producing fair numbers of their Banshee M-variants (the one with the dual PPCs) and I suddenly realized that was why the Marik Variant of the Marauder strips off both PPCs for large lasers. They were saving those for their beefy parade mechs.

Nelzie

Validated User
Wow, someone managed to put active fires into a mod!? That's amazing!
Yeah, it's a wonderful thing to watch happen too.

The AI used a Firestarter to melee one of my mechs, it ended up lighting the hex it was standing next to, on fire. I got my mech out of there and attacked from range. The next round, all the hexes around the Firestarter were lit. Which causes all sorts of problems, the Firestarter barely moved and basically ran up to try and light my mech on fire again. This time it didn't set the forest on fire, but... the next round the fire enveloped the Firestarter again.

It end up being quite a big deal...

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I love how the original 3025 House Marik book showed that the Free Worlds League was still producing fair numbers of their Banshee M-variants (the one with the dual PPCs) and I suddenly realized that was why the Marik Variant of the Marauder strips off both PPCs for large lasers. They were saving those for their beefy parade mechs.
That was another thing I loved... Mechs of National Pride.

It didn't *matter* if they were sucky, they were home-grown and, by God, they were going to be manufactured with pride!

Having efficient machines here and there is nice, but it's the folly of human fallibility, like Steiner having bloodline officers instead of merit, or mechs built by committee like the US Army's Bradley, which really drives the realism home.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
The League only has one factory able to produce PPCs, so they save them all for assault mechs.

Top Bottom