• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC [Heart] Murder on the Amaranth Express

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Woof! Not great rolls!

We're definitely not gonna find New Amaranth at this rate!

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
My headcanon is that gutterkin is a social role that is magically enforced -- become impoverished and homeless, and soon you'll shrink down to a horrible little crow-pig thing with a squeaky voice. I like Brother Bertram though, he gives me another opportunity to riff on Drow theology which I seem to enjoy.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
A quick playtest note!

When Friv rolled a Critical Fail on his Discern check, he doubled his Stress by rolling two die and not by rolling one and then multiplying it. The definition of "Double Stress" is not actually IN THE BOOK ANYWHERE and when asked in the Discord, Grant Howitt said it was "Up to you" whether to multiply or not.

Since Friv set the precedent we will houserule it to "Roll twice the number of Stress die".

Poof.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Playtest report: TPK in the first scene, we loved it, don't change a thing.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
These Heart games can really turn on a dime, can't they?

If D&D worked this way, you'd find a Polymorph Helm in the first orcish lair you loot in the dungeon, and you'd spend the rest of the session as a gelatinous cube, sliding down the hall trying to engulf your enemies.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
I feel like there might be a pacing issue we're missing? Or the game is missing? I dunno.

Maybe you just need more people to soak stress.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Honestly, I think it is a problem. The fact that fallout checks against your total stress, rather than your stress in a single category, means that most Fallout will be major. If you have 6 or less Stress, you have less than a 50/50 chance of getting any fallout, and if you have 7 or more you always get Major fallout when it happens. Given that 7 or more Stress is the average result of gaining Stress twice, and you will gain Stress twice in a row about half the time if you have a second die, and the relatively limited starting Skills and Domains, I feel like this is not working as intended.

Possibly a suggested fix for the playtest would be that it's the fallout roll, and not the total stress, that determines whether fallout is Minor or Major? That way, if you roll 1-6 on Fallout and it's also lower than the total, it's minor. If you roll a 7-12 and it's also lower than the total, it's major. The chance of Fallout being Major would tick up as your stress does, without being an all or nothing thing.

I'm also not a huge fan of the "Critical Fallout optionally but doesn't always kills characters" combined with "any two Major fallouts can be combined into a critical one but don't have to." It seems to really dramatically wobble-up how likely people are to die based on GM whim.

*EDIT* I was thinking about this because of my Echo beat - taking a minor Echo fallout is actually really hard to do, because I need to roll a 6 or less on Fallout while having 6 or less total Stress while some of that Stress is Echo. Next time I take Stress, it's guaranteed Major because I'm at 3 Supplies, 3 Echo.

*EDIT 2* There's also a bit of a disconnect on how often you roll; while you're exploring, you only roll once per minor encounter, which means a party of four will, on average, only need to make one roll each to get from one place to another. But in an encounter, you need to overcome each threat separately, and depending on how you roll, you might need multiple successes against a single threat.

Last edited:

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
FYI - the issue with Minor stress being much rarer than Major has been brought up in the Discord sufficiently that Howitt and Taylor have indicated they don't need to hear it anymore and have some ideas what to do to solve it.

Top Bottom