• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Hearthstone VI: I want to stab the darkness

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
This is like 95% of the playerbase. Top tier decks are too optimized, being usually designed by pros then tweaked and refined by millions of players over millions of matches. It becomes really difficult to just invent a new competitive deck archetype, particularly if you don't have a massive collection. In that sense for most players "deckbuilding" is usually only a relevant skill in Hearthstone laddering during brawls and very early in most expansions.

What is more common is to netdeck, the subtly tweak it for what you're seeing on ladder. A lot of decklists you'll find online are from pros playing in a different meta than you may be seeing at your rank on ladder, and recognizing when you should, say, cut some draw in exchange for golakka crawlers or whatever is definitely a useful skill and a big part of climbing the ladder.
Yeah, for me, netdecking lets me focus on understanding how the deck works on a fundamental, deep level. There's tons of things that pros have internalized about deckbuilding, like how hard you have to commit to a deck's gimmick, and what type of support you need for it.

Netdecking has been incredibly useful for building my own decks, now, because I learned to ruthlessly evaluate every card and think of them in the context of the meta.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Its funny to see how many streamers and pros whiffed on corridor creeper predictions, but I don't think its too surprising. Its the sort of effect that is very tough to evaluate in the abstract--how many minions will be dying each turn on average? is a super meta-dependant question--and we've seen other "become cheaper when X happens" cards and while few of them have been great many haven't made much impact, plus the card was just included in the final card dump at the end of reveal season rather than getting a big streamer reveal.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Its funny to see how many streamers and pros whiffed on corridor creeper predictions, but I don't think its too surprising. Its the sort of effect that is very tough to evaluate in the abstract--how many minions will be dying each turn on average? is a super meta-dependant question--and we've seen other "become cheaper when X happens" cards and while few of them have been great many haven't made much impact, plus the card was just included in the final card dump at the end of reveal season rather than getting a big streamer reveal.
My initial take on it was that it was a worse Thing from Below. Little control over the cost reduction, no taunt, costs one more. And that conceivably might have been true if the meta stayed more control oriented, rather than having more of an aggro-flavor thanks to Paladin and Secret Mage, along with Warlock's more self-destructive summoning tricks. Take those three kind of decks away and I can see it not being as big a deal. With them, however, and it's a strong, strong card.

And on the weapon front, I expected weapon hate to be more predominant, yet it really doesn't feel that way in many of the games I've been playing, which has helped with the Warlock weapon.

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
I think part of Corridor Creeper's power comes from patches. With half the decks on ladder invariably getting an extra free 1/1 on their first 2 turns, that's a significant amount of extra mana reduction

Not that many legendary weapons are seeing a lot of play, and several of those that are like the rogue and mage weapons aren't even great removal targets. It could be a good anti-warlock tech card, but everyone is already running spellbreaker as an anti-Cubelock tech choice, so also teching against the weapon seems like overkill.

Polychrome

Internet Pacifist
Validated User
New view about ranked play changes:
[video=youtube;pH5d7ROjsHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH5d7ROjsHc[/video]
TL;DW:
Starting at the end of the Feb. season:
Lose exactly 4 ranks at the start of the season
All ranks now 5 starts.
Only need 5 ranked wins to get the cardback.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
New view about ranked play changes:
[video=youtube;pH5d7ROjsHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH5d7ROjsHc[/video]
TL;DW:
Starting at the end of the Feb. season:
Lose exactly 4 ranks at the start of the season
All ranks now 5 starts.
Only need 5 ranked wins to get the cardback.
Hm. I'll have to see if this gets me over the rank 2 hump, which is still the furthest I've ever gone on the ladder. I suspect it won't, and instead will create more competition at rank 15 or better. But then, if the point is to make rank 15 or worse less of a nightmare slog for new players, then I'm ok with that.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Adding more stars (5 a rank?!) isn't going to HELP the grind, it's gonna make it murderous.

On the plus side, I can stop bothering to even TRY for 15 anymore.

Aspeon

Validated User
Adding more stars (5 a rank?!) isn't going to HELP the grind, it's gonna make it murderous.

On the plus side, I can stop bothering to even TRY for 15 anymore.
I think the idea is that high-ranked players don't drop nearly as much, so the 20-15 range has fewer supergood players stomping you as they reattain their previous rank. But yeah, I'm not sure what adding more stars to the low ranks adds.

Dalinks

Ready for Adventure
Validated User
Hm. I'll have to see if this gets me over the rank 2 hump, which is still the furthest I've ever gone on the ladder. I suspect it won't, and instead will create more competition at rank 15 or better. But then, if the point is to make rank 15 or worse less of a nightmare slog for new players, then I'm ok with that.
Yeah, this seems really good for the bottom of the ladder, not much different for the middle, and good/bad (depends on point of view) for the top. The bottom people don't have to deal with high end folks being dumped down there any more. And they have more room to be in. That'll make the grind longer if you're just passing through, but gives the people who hang out down there more space and time before they run into heavier decks/players.

At the top end, we'll see more casual top end players sticking around up there. The actual grind to legend may get harder.

It'll be interesting what this does to the meta. Will we see more layered metas(different metas at different levels)? the VS Data Reaper reports already sometimes talks about differing metas at legend, the bottleneck right next to legend, and then lower ranks. If these changes keep people stratified then we might have more distinct meta layers.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm hoping that the rotation comes soon. I've just given up all hope at this stage.

Top Bottom