Hearts of Wulin, a new wuxia rpg

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
Definitley not in my experience, though different series may vary.
I guess that's a good point. Trying to dis-entangle things in my head between "this is a kung fu movie" and "this is a kung fu melodrama."

Another thing that fits this that I watched a few months back is Ashes of Love which is available (at least in the U.S.) on Netflix, and is based on a web novel (Heavy Sweetness, Ash-like Frost). It's typical of many Chinese dramas in that it is around 50 episodes. It's more on the xianxia scale of things, because the characters are primarily immortals - though there is an arc where some of the characters spend time in the mortal world, due to some events, without most of their immortal qualities - so it would be a higher-powered version of this, but other than that I think it fits the criteria of this pretty well. It's everything oriented around a triangle with two brothers and a woman both of them favor, though there's kind of a tragic backstory involved with all of them, I guess, because of previous generations and the stuff they did to each other and how that history plays into the principal trio. There's some sword fighting and such when there are fights, but a lot of the fighting is done with more of what I'd call essence manipulation or magic, depending on your interpretation.

If you do check it out, I will warn you that it is not without its flaws. I found it dragging at times, because of the way certain characters were focused on, and also because of how certain characters behaved becoming irritating, frustrating, or confusing to me. But that being said, I did enjoy it overall and found it a worthwhile look.

I have only watched part of it so recommending it might be pre-mature, but Ice Fantasy is also available on Netflix and is probably another xianxia-scope take on what Hearts of Wulin is about.

I reckon if you went to a site like Netflix and looked at the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean stuff available and sorted for genres like Drama or searched for things like "Korean tv show" you'd probably find a lot of options that might be good fodder for either elements you could steal for a HoW game or could directly be done in this framework.

Thinking about the magical-themed shows, Netflix, and hacking this framework to do other things, I'm now wondering what a Chilling Adventures of Sabrina hack using Hearts of Wulin would look like. If magical conflicts/duels/fights become the corrolary to martial arts fighting then I suspect you might have done a decent part of the work already. The tensions in that property definitely seem like good opportunities to build entanglements.

Last edited:

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
I guess that's a good point. Trying to dis-entangle things in my head between "this is a kung fu movie" and "this is a kung fu melodrama."
Yeah, they do tend to flow together a lot, and most wuxia series/novels are chock full of melodrama. If anything - and take this as to come from a fan, not an expert - I think that wuxia over all and the romance/melodrama subgenre in particular tend to have more friendly or semi-friendly duels than entirely antagonistic. People fight to work out their feelings, gain revelations or realise the depth of their feelings as they fight someone. A hostile duel might end with the participants becoming friends, lovers or at the very least gaining a grudging respect for their opponent´s principles. And so on - very rarely does the focus lie entirely on who gets stomped into the ground (even though that will happen).

Last edited:

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
Yeah, they do tend to flow together a lot, and most wuxia series/novels are chock full of melodrama. If anything - and take this as to come from a fan, not an expert - I think that wuxia over all and the romance/melodrama subgenre in particular - tend to have more friendly or semi-friendly duels than entirely antagonistic. People fight to work out their feelings, gain revelations or realise the depth of their feelings as they fight someone. A hostile duel might end with the participants becoming friends, lovers or at the very least gaining a grudging respect for their opponent´s principles. And so on - very rarely does the focus lie entirely on who gets stomped into the ground (even though that will happen).
That reminds me a lot of how important rivals are in shounen anime and also how characters have to fight to learn who they or the people they encounter are, or they have to learn their motivations for fighting. I guess this just goes back to how various Asian media cross-fertilize between media and cross-culturally as well.

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
Update from the Kickstarter says our final stretch goal has been unveiled. Sounds like a dystopic steampunk setting. Can we hit about $12k in 9 days or so?

Weisenheim

Baroque Space Orc Mage
Validated User
Bringing this up top again to tell folks that this Kickstarter has between 24 and 48 hours left at time of writing. Almost all of the stretch goals have been met, perhaps because of the 48 hour email rush, but there's still some room at the end to get everything. I hope the social media stretch goal is met for TV wuxia.

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
Here´s hoping! In any case, there´s going to be so much cool stuff for this game.

Top Bottom