• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Hello! ^^

CammieTheRoo

Hi! Okay, so I'm completely new to this forum and it's been a long while since I've rped, much less having done it tabletop style. If there are any tips that you guys have, please let me know, and yeah! I'm both excited and nervous, hopefully we'll all get along!

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Welcome to the forums!
If you tell us how you RPed before, we can point you to the forums that cover that. We've got Live Action RP, Tabletop RP, Computer RP, etc.,
Country and Western!

CammieTheRoo

Previous to this I used to normally rp on a writing website which was on the computer, and truth be told it's been about a year or so. Though in all honesty, I'm up for learning new things, and new ways of rping. I know it isn't particularly helpful but I don't mind leaving my options open if that makes sense?

g33k

Validated User
Hello, and welcome!

Play-by-post / play-by-forum is a slow-ish / asynchronous RP'ing format; there is also live/realtime "chat" style RP. I can't tell from your "writing website" which (or both?) you did (or want to try).

It's worth noting that MOST of the folks here will presume you're following a particular "Role Playing Game" -- i.e. one with published rules -- whereas some writers doing RP on a writing-centric website may just set a few common baseline assumptions and GO, without any published "rules" per se ... Like theatrical improv, in a text medium.

There's also "Tabletop Roleplaying Open" which is probably the most wide-ranging subforum on this site; most there AFAIK presume (unless stated otherwise) that you're playing a face-to-face / pen&paper RPG, with dice and character-sheets and all that jazz .

I expect you'll find folks happy to talk with you about ANY (and all) of the above!

CammieTheRoo

Alrighty! Thank you both, I apologize for the inconvience as well as being unable to describe how I exactly roleplay but I get the gist of what you're talking about, so thank you both! ^^

g33k

Validated User
Alrighty! Thank you both, I apologize for the inconvience as well as being unable to describe how I exactly roleplay but I get the gist of what you're talking about, so thank you both! ^^
No apologies needed! There was no inconvenience. Just wanted to make sure we were each understanding one another.

I've never participated in the fiction-writers' "improv theater" style of RP, precisely. I've done some MUSH/MUD'ing and other text-vbased RP, but that was following published rules in a published setting. I just wanted to note it as a viable sytle of RP'ing that might confuse conversations if one party was thinking of the freeform and another of the constrained rule=set... :)

g33k

Validated User
... who?

Maybe a spambot got removed or something?
<Mystified shrug>
'ell if I know! Looked like an ordinary (but brief) hello-notice from a newbie, just in somebody else's hello-thread. I figured a REALLY novice user, and I'd greet but not correct. But now it's gone... But no banhammer notice in Infractions forum!

Top Bottom