Help! I need to build a non-combat support class!

Lars Dangly

Validated User
...that's interesting. But players seem to love class powers. Are your players ok with that? Maybe this player would be ok with that? I don't know. I'm going to talk it all out with the group tonight before we play.[/QUOTE said:
This is one of those 'it takes all kinds' issues: I, and the rest of my group, are not into class powers. Actually, I sort of hate them, and prefer minimalist classes that are just better at a subset of the things that everyone can do with some level of success. When I've made class-based fantasy heartbreaker games with a class like knight, for example, I will specify something about attacking as a fighter and having good HP, and discuss property ownership, fealty, etc., but the class does not gain a 'heroic charge' or other meta power as they level up.

Troy Swain

Validated User
Yeah, Mastermind is probably your best bet. Let Master of Tactics combine with granting the Bardic Inspiration die, and all go out to either 30 ft or 60 ft; granting advantage alone is good, adding a 1d6 inspiration die bonus a few times is even cooler. Let him pick different proficiencies for Master of Intrigue, and you're good to go.

On Arcane Trickster, I remain puzzled on why "Mage Hand" can't simply be a spell, uniquely of all the spells that choice will give. Or are you planning to make all the other cantrips or spells gained some kind of gizmos as well? It's not clear what your concept or intent is.
We'll see tonight what he wants to do. But a lot of magic in this world is 'tech' based, and this character, so far, is not a magic user. But he is an engineer, so a gizmo based character makes sense. But also, maybe math-based mage who weaves higher maths in his head (Call of Cthulhu style); maybe that might work for "Mage Hand"?

vitruvian

Validated User
We'll see tonight what he wants to do. But a lot of magic in this world is 'tech' based, and this character, so far, is not a magic user. But he is an engineer, so a gizmo based character makes sense. But also, maybe math-based mage who weaves higher maths in his head (Call of Cthulhu style); maybe that might work for "Mage Hand"?
Well, what do you plan to do for 1st level spells? Or the two other cantrips they'll know? It should probably all be gadgets or all be magic.

Von Ether

Validated User
I think you'll learn a maximum of our hobby.

As long as it says D&D on the tin, it surprising how much you can change the rules and people will play it as compared to learning a new rule set. Mutants and Masterminds is the perfect example. That d20 variant doesn't even have hit points.

You might Frankenstein the philosophy of Fate points with Action Points ( in the DMG. )
Basically steal Aspects and then players spend an action point to roll a extra d6 on the roll.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
So I'm running an extremely homebrewed version of 5e. The PCs are all academics and my players are absolutely uninterested in "hack and slash." Hell, they're uninterested in combat in general. (I know, I know. Combat is what D&D is good at. But they all saw Stranger Things, and they've heard than Vin Diesel and others play D&D, so they wanted to play D&D as well. Just without a lot of combat.)

Anyway, one player really wanted to play an engineer / mathematician. Ok, fine. I used the Thief template. But now all of my players are about to be 3rd level! That one player is adamant that they are not the 'combat type.' So I need to create a class path for the PC that isn't combat related.

The new artificer class is similar to the character idea, but as typical for D&D, very combat related.
Most of the combat focus of the Artificer class seems to be in its subclasses. As it happens, I am currently developing two new Artificer subclasses - and the second one, the Plumaweaver, has a strong support focus as opposed to direct combat ability. Perhaps you could use it as a base?

Troy Swain

Validated User
Jürgen Hubert Jürgen Hubert , thank you! Reading that over now! It looks very cool!

V Von Ether , I meant to ask if you could break down how Numenera handles "breaking down ancient tech to bulid new toys." It does sound great, but I don't have access to the books or rules, so was hoping you could give me a very rough outline?

Also, half of my crew are new to RPGs. They actually don't have a problem learning new rules sets, and are definitely 'story' gamers (even if they don't know it). They just wanted to try D&D, but they also want it to do things that it's not good at. (Like little to no combat.)

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Also, half of my crew are new to RPGs. They actually don't have a problem learning new rules sets, and are definitely 'story' gamers (even if they don't know it). They just wanted to try D&D, but they also want it to do things that it's not good at. (Like little to no combat.)
That shouldn't be much of a problem. I am six sessions into my own campaign, and only half of them featured any combat - and only one session featured more than one fight.

Top Bottom