• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

🎨 Creative Help me brainstorm a BBEG for Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Old One Eye

Validated User
A portal to Greyhawk feels apropos to Undermountain. Nerull is still doing his thing and Raven Queen does not exist in standard Greyhawk canon, if it matters. Maybe the deal with Halaster is a way to get a foothold in the Realms?

Alternatively, you may be able to do something with Acerak from the Chult adventure. Albeit another Greyhawk entity appropriated by the Realms.

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
Is there an entity greater than the gods in Forgotten Realms that could actually make someone the new god of death? I don't know the cosmology enough to know how a given person becomes a deity. I'm kind of leaning toward the idea that some cosmic entity is holding a contest for Halaster's soul, with essentially a super-powered wish as the reward, so now you have a bunch of adventuring groups and other people (like death cults) all suddenly taking a renewed interest in Undermountain. It gives me an excuse to have run-ins with lots of other characters in the dungeon, and I can run it a bit like "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", with the various groups all trying to undermine and sabotage each other.

If I do that, though, it would be nice if the PCs were in on the contest, rather than being unwitting pawns in it. Any ideas on reconciling the whole "AfterLife Incorporated" idea with this contest? AfterLife Incorporated is more of a meta-mechanic to help lessen the sting of a deadly dungeon, so I suppose I could move away from the idea of a sinister force running it and just make it what it seems - a profit-driven company that provides a service.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
I don't have the book, but there is the Mad Mage right there in the title.

"dungeon of the mad mage? well clearly they knew I was coming and got the place ready for me to rule"

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
I don't have the book, but there is the Mad Mage right there in the title.

"dungeon of the mad mage? well clearly they knew I was coming and got the place ready for me to rule"
I'm afraid I don't understand. I'm not suggesting not having Halaster be part of the adventure. I'm just looking to bring some story to it so that it's not just "delve and kill because we want to get rich".

Ao is the super, ubermesch overlord god in the Realms.
Perfect, thank you!

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
Ao is the super, ubermesch overlord god in the Realms.
Yeah, in comic terms AO is the Source.

As for Nerull being a Greyhawk God, maybe he fled from Greyhawk to Faerun in his wounded, weakened state after the Raven Queen kicked his ass, and landed in Undermountain. It might be possible Halaster even imprisoned him in Undermountain to experiment on him, never had a captive God before.

Like you could build an add on to the final level of the dungeon (Since all the maps are designed specifically so you can go off them and expand the dungeon however you like) there's this huge machine which is literally an Engine created by Halaster that is feeding Nerull the death energy of everything that dies in Undermountain into Nerull, turning him into a battery that Halaster plans to drain to become a God himself. Only if the PC's kill Halaster....

Kreuzritter

Validated User
I'm afraid I don't understand. I'm not suggesting not having Halaster be part of the adventure. I'm just looking to bring some story to it so that it's not just "delve and kill because we want to get rich".
again, I don't have the book, so my presumption was, depending on whatever this hslabaster guy's deal is, "so, the dungeon of the new mad mage has a new mad mage taking up occupancy. please do something about him before he, I dunno, digs a hole to the 9 hells or something"

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
Yeah, in comic terms AO is the Source.

As for Nerull being a Greyhawk God, maybe he fled from Greyhawk to Faerun in his wounded, weakened state after the Raven Queen kicked his ass, and landed in Undermountain. It might be possible Halaster even imprisoned him in Undermountain to experiment on him, never had a captive God before.

Like you could build an add on to the final level of the dungeon (Since all the maps are designed specifically so you can go off them and expand the dungeon however you like) there's this huge machine which is literally an Engine created by Halaster that is feeding Nerull the death energy of everything that dies in Undermountain into Nerull, turning him into a battery that Halaster plans to drain to become a God himself. Only if the PC's kill Halaster....
:eek: That's awesome. Or maybe he is planning to use all that gathered God Energy to untangle the knot in the Weave created when the elves disappeared Aelinthaldaar. This will finally break his madness and enable to him to reach his true potential (whether that is good or bad could be an exercise to the reader...), but with horrible consequence, like Aelinthaldaar reappearing and sending Waterdeep into another dimension.

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
I've also seen suggestions that you could run the Dungeon as kind of a background/side story to another game. Such as Storm King's thunder.

You could probably skip the first few adventures of Storm King, running Dragon Heist instead, then just run Storm King and have little excursions into Undermountain inebetween adventures.

Top Bottom