🎨 Creative Help Me Build A Comic Book Universe

NautilusComics

"Insert Famous Quote Here!"
Validated User
So I have been thinking about and started to build a unique superhero world/universe that is not very typical type of a superhero world/universe such as those of Marvel and DC. However, I've suffered a bit of an artistic block and I need some help coming over it! What can be done differently that has not done repeatedly over the decades in any superhero concept? Not just for hero/villain origins and where superheroes came from and not just a different time period for a setting either. What do you think would be a good way to do something cool and not just new but done different that overly used?

PS: to give you an idea of what my setting is like, here are some concepts:
  • I have an idea that the earliest "superhumans" per say, where the ancient Olympian pantheon, who were not actually gods or goddesses but normal people blessed with advanced technology created by the blacksmith Hephaestus.
  • Merlin Ambrosius, the "sorcerer" of Arthurian legend, is in fact, a time traveller from a possible future who came to the Middle Ages to form the Knights of the Round Table in order to stop a potential crisis that would threaten Earth in the future. Morgan Le Fey is also a time traveller who wants to stop Merlin.
  • The Nazis possessed giant weaponised spinning tops known as "gyropanzers."
  • America won the Space Race to get to the moon, but Russia has conquered Mars and instead of NASA, there's BURAN, a Russian space program located in the Arctic circle.
  • Canada amassed an army of Sasquatch during the 1950s.
  • Martin Luther King was never shot and became the first African-American president instead of Nixon.
  • Superpowers are not hereditary and can only be obtained by super-science or genetic tampering.
  • The premier supreteam is the "Earthwatch" a team that is essentially an amalgamation of SHIELD and the Justice League, with ambassadors from around the world.
  • The super-scientists of my world are the complete opposite of the "Reed Richards is Useless" trope and have gone on to affect my world for the better.
  • Most importantly, the Golden/ Silver Age of lighthearted and campiness never ended and continues into the modern day.
I'd love any advice or any further suggestions you might have πŸ˜‰

Cheers, dudes!

-Nautilus-Comics

cloa513

Validated User
Rather than Earthwatch being a massive congolmerate spy agency like Shield rather it is a focused organisation designed to manage the super's personalities and prevent them being caught off guard by side actions of bad guys. You could break the evil corporation trope and having companies do their thing to make money but doing too extreme.

ash adler

Validated User
I'm no expert on what's been done in comics, but the space race point makes me think that the source (or A source, at least) of superpowers has to do with something from deep space (perhaps Hephaestus forged items out of meteoric iron that was irradiated in a particular way). America's moon base and Russia's Mars outpost are experimenting to develop reliable means of replicating and/or supercharging the power-granting Phlebotinum. It can set up an outer space expansion of the Cold War, open for Connery/Lazenby/Moore-era Bond ideas (leaning towards Moore if you want campier) and maybe a touch of Lovecraft's "Color Out Of Space" (disastrous consequences for overexposure to the Phlebotinum, or perhaps the source of the Phlebotinum detects aberrant waste from the moon/Mars experiments and comes to do something about it). The opportunity to throw in some Lovecraftian moon cats is always nice, too.

It feels similar enough to the Fantastic 4's origin that I'd expect stuff has been done along those lines enough, though.

Also, I'd guess the Royal Canadian Sasquatch Police (colloquial name: "Saskies"?) played a key role in countering the Nazi gyropanzers. Perhaps that means they're the rock in Rock Beats Laser. Everyone else is trying to go super high-tech while Canada doubles down on meat-tech.

NautilusComics

Validated User
I'm no expert on what's been done in comics, but the space race point makes me think that the source (or A source, at least) of superpowers has to do with something from deep space (perhaps Hephaestus forged items out of meteoric iron that was irradiated in a particular way). America's moon base and Russia's Mars outpost are experimenting to develop reliable means of replicating and/or supercharging the power-granting Phlebotinum. It can set up an outer space expansion of the Cold War, open for Connery/Lazenby/Moore-era Bond ideas (leaning towards Moore if you want campier) and maybe a touch of Lovecraft's "Color Out Of Space" (disastrous consequences for overexposure to the Phlebotinum, or perhaps the source of the Phlebotinum detects aberrant waste from the moon/Mars experiments and comes to do something about it). The opportunity to throw in some Lovecraftian moon cats is always nice, too.

It feels similar enough to the Fantastic 4's origin that I'd expect stuff has been done along those lines enough, though.

Also, I'd guess the Royal Canadian Sasquatch Police (colloquial name: "Saskies"?) played a key role in countering the Nazi gyropanzers. Perhaps that means they're the rock in Rock Beats Laser. Everyone else is trying to go super high-tech while Canada doubles down on meat-tech.
You're not wrong about the "Saskies." Canada had a prominent role in the Second World War, not only with sasquatch, but also will superheroes as well.

NautilusComics

Validated User
Oh yeah, the WECA stuff:)
1.) I do have a modern Canadian hero called Captain Minuscule whose grandfather discovered quarks and used them to shrink down to microscopic size which he used during the war.
2.) WECA? I'm slightly confused. Please elaborate πŸ˜‰

mangekko

Validated User
1.) I do have a modern Canadian hero called Captain Minuscule whose grandfather discovered quarks and used them to shrink down to microscopic size which he used during the war.
2.) WECA? I'm slightly confused. Please elaborate πŸ˜‰
1.) cool:)
2.) Canada had a golden age in WW2 for comics. WECA stands for War Exchange Conservation Act. Because of trade restrictions back then it created a vacuum to be filled for comics. There's a whole bunch of old characters that fell out of use once the war ended.
https://www.comicbookdaily.com/category/collecting-community/whites-tsunami-weca-splashes/
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/c/canagold.htm

NautilusComics

Validated User
Top Bottom