• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Help me find my Fantasy Heartbreaker...

icemaster109

Validated User
There are thousands of fantasy RPG's out there, and I'm looking for the one that could be my fantasy sweetheart, the game that really jives with what I'm looking to run. I'm hoping out of RPG.net's collective knowledge someone can perhaps point me in the right direction of a fantasy game that ticks off some of the things I'm looking for. Things such as...

-Big damn heroes: I watch a lot of anime. I want my PC's to be strong, carry big swords, and be resilient. They don't need to have powers, or be demigods, but they should be ultra competent in their professions.

-Human centric: I'm over the rolodex of races. I want the game to be human or human centric (meaning PC's will overwhelmingly be humans).

-Evil scary monsters: We've played battled enough slimes, kobolds, and orcs. We want unique bad guys, demons, and entities of true horror. Something that is truly dark to behold.

-Medium crunch: We want tactical options, and combat to be thoughtful. At the same time, we don't want it to grind to a halt. I'm looking for a system where we can go through 3-4 skirmishes of combat for a group of 4 players in each session and still have time to progress the story.

BONUS: If a game doesn't have it thats fine, but if it does have some of these things, even better.

-Feats/Classes: We kind of like having each character have some abilities that can be used in combat. For some reason it keeps them feeling unique in play. Again, if this isn't included, its fine, but my players seem to dig systems that really compartmentalize character creation.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
-Big damn heroes: I watch a lot of anime. I want my PC's to be strong, carry big swords, and be resilient. They don't need to have powers, or be demigods, but they should be ultra competent in their professions.

-Human centric: I'm over the rolodex of races. I want the game to be human or human centric (meaning PC's will overwhelmingly be humans).

-Evil scary monsters: We've played battled enough slimes, kobolds, and orcs. We want unique bad guys, demons, and entities of true horror. Something that is truly dark to behold.
The first (and blindingly obvious) thing that comes to mind here is Conan. Which iIIRC gets pretty good buzz around here.

-Medium crunch: We want tactical options, and combat to be thoughtful. At the same time, we don't want it to grind to a halt. I'm looking for a system where we can go through 3-4 skirmishes of combat for a group of 4 players in each session and still have time to progress the story.

BONUS: If a game doesn't have it thats fine, but if it does have some of these things, even better.

-Feats/Classes: We kind of like having each character have some abilities that can be used in combat. For some reason it keeps them feeling unique in play. Again, if this isn't included, its fine, but my players seem to dig systems that really compartmentalize character creation.
I haven't actually read it, though, so I don't know if it fits these.

videopete

Validated User
Exalted, specifically a mortals game. The third edition is quite good if the solar charm list is quite intimidating. But the current release schedule is starting to pick up after a drougjt.

Randall

Validated User
I'd take a look at Legend of the 5 rings, not sure how crunchy the last edition went, but nothing stops you to get 4th edition material, although the FFG current version could be enough.

Monsterd and creatures can be unique, powerful and challenging, human centered, every school can fit a role, variety of clans, schools, etc, and if you come from anime, maybe there are samuraiesque animes to take inspiration from.

Also, you can move from realistic to big damn anime heroes easily ("let's go fight Oni at Crab's territory!!!)

artikid

passerby
Validated User
If you like freeform magic, Barbarians of Lemuria has everything you asked for. Only thing: it has light crunch instead of medium crunch.

Last edited:

Makrakken

Validated User
Symbaroum from Fria Ligan (English version through Modiphius) might be worth a look.

Whilst there are other races, you can very easily have humans-only PCs. A lot of the monsters are different & the classes all have unique abilities available to each of them. And I've found the combat to be right in the sweet spot between crunch & free-form - fast & deadly with player tactics (use of abilities, player positioning, etc) coming into play.

Take a look at Paul Baldowski's The Iron Pact website as it's an excellent place for game resources & information, including a nice, brief world description.

Top Bottom