• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Help me find my Fantasy Heartbreaker...

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Godbound comes to mind. It's not super-tactical but firmly checks all of the other boxes listed. And even there, the number and flexibility of powers should give more inventive players enough tools to get creative with.

Chris Tavares

RPGnet Member
Validated User
13th Age. Characters are big damn heros from level one. Lots of interesting monsters. Theater of the mind combat while still having lots of options. Lots of feat and class ability options. And each class has unique mechanics so they all play differently.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
13th Age. Characters are big damn heros from level one. Lots of interesting monsters. Theater of the mind combat while still having lots of options. Lots of feat and class ability options. And each class has unique mechanics so they all play differently.
I guess you could make it human centric by banning non-human PC's, but the fluff is going to fight you pretty hard.

amethal

Validated User
Dragon Age RPG seems like it might fit your requirements.

It does have some non-human options, but its easy enough to disallow them at character creation without really losing anything. How new the monsters are does depend on how familiar you are with the computer games (not at all, in my case).

The characters were very resilient, especially at higher levels.

g33k

Validated User
Maybe Mythras? Most BRP games (of which this is one) run to gritty/dangerous combat, but Mythras has "Luck Points" which are often used for heroic survival/success.

It doesn't default to class niche-protection, but it does have lots of interesting tactico-strategic combat options, both as individuals and elements of teamwork. The "Classic Fantasy" supplement is a reworking of old-school (AD&D 1e/2e) tropes into the Mythras mechanics, so you can do it if you want! Bonus: lots of different settings, from good ol' high-fantasy, to sci-fi, to historical fantasy, to near-future Modern Urban fantasy, to retro-future pulp sci fi, and more. Vance's Lyonesse is coming soon to Mythras!

Free Quickstart PDF on TheDesignMechanism website.

swammeyjoe

Validated User
There are thousands of fantasy RPG's out there, and I'm looking for the one that could be my fantasy sweetheart, the game that really jives with what I'm looking to run. I'm hoping out of RPG.net's collective knowledge someone can perhaps point me in the right direction of a fantasy game that ticks off some of the things I'm looking for. Things such as...

-Big damn heroes: I watch a lot of anime. I want my PC's to be strong, carry big swords, and be resilient. They don't need to have powers, or be demigods, but they should be ultra competent in their professions.

-Human centric: I'm over the rolodex of races. I want the game to be human or human centric (meaning PC's will overwhelmingly be humans).

-Evil scary monsters: We've played battled enough slimes, kobolds, and orcs. We want unique bad guys, demons, and entities of true horror. Something that is truly dark to behold.

-Medium crunch: We want tactical options, and combat to be thoughtful. At the same time, we don't want it to grind to a halt. I'm looking for a system where we can go through 3-4 skirmishes of combat for a group of 4 players in each session and still have time to progress the story.

BONUS: If a game doesn't have it thats fine, but if it does have some of these things, even better.

-Feats/Classes: We kind of like having each character have some abilities that can be used in combat. For some reason it keeps them feeling unique in play. Again, if this isn't included, its fine, but my players seem to dig systems that really compartmentalize character creation.
Modiphus' Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of hits every box you've listed. Exactly.

artikid

passerby
Validated User
Come to think of it, Shadow of the demon lord is another game that matches most of the points listed by OP. The two big differences are: there's non-human player races, though the world is dominated by humans.
It takes a couple of levels at least for the characters to become Big Damn Heroes.

Scurrilous

Validated User
Dungeon Fantasy Role Playing Game. The characters are tough, competent, and even heroic from the outset. It's a complete fantasy game based on GURPS but the templates are set up like classes and while there are old favorites like orcs and goblins there are also lots of tough, weird things creeping around in there. It should be back in print in the next couple months. The Monsters II book will be out and in September SJG is kickstarting volume 2 of Magic Items.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fantasy Craft doesn’t have medium crunch by any standard, but I do think it’s possible to get three combats in a session. Humans are not the only race, but are varied enough that a human-only setting can be quite diverse. Even first level PC pack quite a punch, so Big Damn Heroes should be in the book. The core comes with monster generation rules as well as a conversion kit for 3.x monsters. Should take you far.

Top Bottom