• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Help me find my Fantasy Heartbreaker...

Octiron

Pariah
Validated User
I'd repeat shadows of the demon lord.

It pains me to see a lot of these games slurred as Heartbreakers tho. :confused:

Knaight

Validated User
I'm pretty sure most of us are responding more to the post than the title - the term "Heartbreaker" is being used in a really unconventional way here, to the point where using the conventional definition is basically useless.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
I'm pretty sure most of us are responding more to the post than the title - the term "Heartbreaker" is being used in a really unconventional way here, to the point where using the conventional definition is basically useless.
Well, yes. Heartbreaker means something very different, but the original post makes it clear that they're not actually searching for an aggressively mediocre game.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Fantasy Craft doesn’t have medium crunch by any standard, but I do think it’s possible to get three combats in a session. Humans are not the only race, but are varied enough that a human-only setting can be quite diverse. Even first level PC pack quite a punch, so Big Damn Heroes should be in the book. The core comes with monster generation rules as well as a conversion kit for 3.x monsters. Should take you far.
I really like Fantasy Craft, but I'd hesitate to call it "medium crunch" without some comparison to what the OP considers "heavy". Easiest way to say it is it's as crunchy as 3e D&D and derivatives (because it is one), it's just you can take out a few pieces and have something slightly more streamlined (for example you don't need spellcasting or magic items for the math to work).

bergec

Philosopher-Geek
Validated User
I'm rather fond of Zweihander at the moment. Not sure it hits the "ultra-competent" button, but the rest seems to fit:

-Human centric: I'm over the rolodex of races. I want the game to be human or human centric (meaning PC's will overwhelmingly be humans).
This is the default configuration.

-Evil scary monsters: We've played battled enough slimes, kobolds, and orcs. We want unique bad guys, demons, and entities of true horror. Something that is truly dark to behold.
Lots of horrors and demons. Even the old standards have a sick twist (like orcs being created by a disease and goblins being chaos-corrupted children).

-Medium crunch: We want tactical options, and combat to be thoughtful. At the same time, we don't want it to grind to a halt. I'm looking for a system where we can go through 3-4 skirmishes of combat for a group of 4 players in each session and still have time to progress the story.
Just got through trying out the combat system and I found it a nice balance between evocative crunch and ease-of-use.

-Feats/Classes: We kind of like having each character have some abilities that can be used in combat. For some reason it keeps them feeling unique in play. Again, if this isn't included, its fine, but my players seem to dig systems that really compartmentalize character creation.
Talents fill the Feats slot and it has loads of Professions of which you end up with three (one for each Tier of play representing Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master levels), including Professions that can only be taken at higher tiers (like Prestige Classes or Paragon Paths).

TheShadow

found the shaved monkeys
Validated User
Dungeon Fantasy RPG from SJG fits your requirements to a T. It has the usual fantasy races, but there's no associated fluff or anything which would fight against the non-humans being taken off the table. For tactical TotM combat it is a blast, and heroes are strong and plenty customizable.

Alpha Stryke

Validated User
I would recommend The Dark Eye 5e. It may seem intimidating crunch wise in the beginning but after character generation its a breeze to play. There is a fre character generation program that's very elegant and easy to use called Optolith (available from Drivethrurpg) that makes char gen take only a couple of minutes.

TDE has elves and dwarves but its mostly human centric. You can play entire campaigns without coming across a single dwarf or elf.

Top Bottom