• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Help me "spy up" Lost Mines of Phandelver

wraithform

Validated User
Is it just me, or could LMoP be an episode of Alias or lifted straight out of a James Bond movie? It's not a stretch to see LMoP as a fantasy version of Raiders of the Lost Ark, as well, with the Spell Forge (sorry, "Forge of Spells") as the titular ark.

I'm still reading the adventure, but I can already tell that I want both Glasstaff and the Black Spider to be 007 villains. Saldir is going to be a shadowy super-spy. I mean, the Spell Forge is a HUGE win for some government looking to beef up their military, right?

Those of you who have run the adventure and are espionage fanatics, please help--give me suggestions and ideas on how I might change the tone of the adventure to be more cloak and dagger-riffic!

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
I did something like this, with a Belloq-like figure surreptitiously following the PCs as they connected the dots. Eventually she just approached them and said "Look, what's in Wave Echo Cave is worthless to you" -- I tied it to the old Red Steel setting, so the titular lost mine was a red steel mine, and people from the Savage Coast were behind just about everything -- "so let's work together and I'll reward you handsomely." But by then they had no desire to cooperate with her at all.

My primary inspirations were two TV shows I was watching at the time: The Curse of Oak Island and Legend of the Superstitions, two History Channel shows about doughy middle-aged white guys who've spent decades and millions futilely hunting for nigh-mythical treasure. I made a sort of conceptual treasure map and seeded lots of other little clues here and there in the adventure. By figuring out how the map fit together with the clues and vice-versa, the PCs were able to make their way through an inhospitable mountain range and reach the hidden valley where the lost mine was located. So more Indiana Jones than James Bond, but not totally off the mark, either.

wraithform

Validated User
Any thoughts? I'm still trying to read the adventure from cover to cover (it's been tough, as work's been busy) and still looking to make the intro to the adventure more jazzed up, with the Lords' Alliance being a great way to introduce the espionage elements I want to add.

Top Bottom