• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Help on crafting a campaign plot and setting

kerberos42

Hi guys.
If I eventually post it in the wrong section please feel free to move/lock this Thread.

So I need help to close the gaps of my setting.

Here what I have:

PCs can play a full immersion mmo game. So basically every PCs is actually two PC (one in real world and another in the artificial). I can handle create the fantasy world (no problem) but I really struggling to elaborate the "real" world activities and goals that aren't boring once all real world PCs are just regular humans.

Additionally I want that something (or someone) in the real world will attempt to corrupt the mmo game but I can't find reasons to defend it once it would be super simple to just wipe out all data and reupload a new game. Basically I need reason why a villan could destroy the fantasy world and why defend it.

After all that I'm also thinking that at some point the real world PCs could start to manifest theirs fantasy world PCs' power but I wish it: 1)didn't sound stupid and 2) not every person or country could create a super human being that easy.

I hope anyone can help me.

(Sorry about terrible english)

g33k

Banned
Validated User
Hi guys.
If I eventually post it in the wrong section please feel free to move/lock this Thread.

So I need help to close the gaps of my setting.

Here what I have:

PCs can play a full immersion mmo game. So basically every PCs is actually two PC (one in real world and another in the artificial). I can handle create the fantasy world (no problem) but I really struggling to elaborate the "real" world activities and goals that aren't boring once all real world PCs are just regular humans.

Additionally I want that something (or someone) in the real world will attempt to corrupt the mmo game but I can't find reasons to defend it once it would be super simple to just wipe out all data and reupload a new game. Basically I need reason why a villan could destroy the fantasy world and why defend it.

After all that I'm also thinking that at some point the real world PCs could start to manifest theirs fantasy world PCs' power but I wish it: 1)didn't sound stupid and 2) not every person or country could create a super human being that easy.

I hope anyone can help me.

(Sorry about terrible english)
Hello, and welcome!

Off the top of my head, here are some ideas...

Frankly, yes: videogames having their "effects" come out of the game-world into the real-world IS stupid. It's impossible, ridiculous, etc. So what? Sounds like a really fun game, so roll with it!!!

Almost every fun RPG has some piece (and often the whole premise of the game) that is equally stupid, or more so. In the end, we all have to suspend disbelief to play these games! Videogames are really no more ridiculous a source of power than 4000-year-old-clay-tablets, after all...

In the end, this is magic. It's going to follow the "rules" of magic, and NOT the rules of physics or "our" reality.

===

Once you have in-game world effects manifesting into real-world reality, you give the PC's a huge reason to want to save/preserve the game!

Make it something other than just "cool powers," make it something meaningful to the characters. Maybe one of the PC's has a mother or a sister who needs an ultra-expensive medicine, and somehow they can get it from the game? Maybe they can just put a "healing crystal" on her in the game, and it works (but wears out) in Real Life. Make her the GF of another PC; or swap genders as-desired.

Have someone lose their job, but be able to "fix" things -- get a lucrative freelance gig -- via in-game actions. After a while, the gig ends, and they need to go in-game to get a new gig going. Maybe a player needs to help a friend or relative this way, or maybe it's their own job.

Etc...

Note that real-world effects don't have to be the same as in-MMO "powers". That medicine to save someone? You exit the MMO to find a prescription (marked "paid") in your hand... ll you need to do is walk down to the corner drug-store to pick it up! But in the game, it was a treasure-map you bought in the bazaar, or an in-game clue, or whatever -- any random scrap.

===

Make it take a while -- maybe QUITE a while! -- before the RW effects start manifesting after each save-state restore. While the state of the in-world game is preserved, the "magic" isn't.

===

The BigBad is someone who works at the MMO maker. They have figured out that this magic is happening, and they are trying to leverage it for more power or something. But they don't actually understand or control it any better than anyone else -- all they can REALLY control is the state of the corporate server-farm. They keep resetting it because they're experimenting, trying to gain more power.

===

It's magic. It doesn't follow "real world" rules. The reason a government can't leverage this is because the magic just doesn't work that way -- only individuals can "level up" in ways that depart the MMO's reality, any attempt to regiment or regulate it fail, up to and including the powers going away. That includes the MMO-maker, so the BigBad can't just call up a "beta-tester army" or something...

kerberos42

Hey buddy what was awesome.
I'll confess that it wasn't the answer I was expecting but it was better in so many other ways.

Ok I liked the bad guy part and the government reasons I can make it work after a few touches.

About "effects" manifesting in RW I still need some more thought and "logic" on it. Maybe I'm too demanding but I'm really afraid my players can't take this bait and come with an "ok...yeah, I get it"

I'm still open to more ideas.
I'll throw here (later today) more advanced thoughts to help you help me

kerberos42

I'll try to expand my original post.

The MMO is more like Sword Art Online. If you search for a game called CrossCode you'll pretty much understand what feeling I want to give to my players when they are in the mmo world.
The real world is similar to ours, maybe some 30years in the future to better acomodate the high technology of the mmo but we still take buses and plant food like always.

Yes, players can choose go the game world at anytime. The way I found to move all at once is that to make the transition you must have an "operator" that is just an AI being of the game. The thing is that the operator only works when all players log in together. This way I can avoid split the party all the time.

About in-game time, I think I'll make the in-game time run half of real world time. This way players can feel that they can do more fun stuff in less time. Plus I can create situations of urgency, like 10min to avoid X but if you log in you have 20min to prevent it.

About mechanics/character traits I'm thinking the following: the numerical system is the same, so this way players will understant how stronger they are while "in-game" but some traits and talents are exclusive to game world. Quick example: if you have hardened skin in game it will never (in regular conditions) move with you to real world, however if you are super Charismatic in game you 100% is charismatic in real world. I'm still not 100% confident that this will work as I want to. Totally open to suggestions.

The drama and problems of the plot will be totally linked between worlds. Although I could not create all the web of situations yet.

Well now I'll open up a bit what I have so far about plot and setting:

RW (real world)
GW (game world)

Btw my "real world" is not exactly our real world. The technological and biological level are the same but the geography, oceans and countries are others.

There are three countries in a certain continent. Country A and B started a war between them in order to decide the comertial control of the largest network system. A part from the militar conflit they also sent several virtual AI agents (like virus) to destroy each other computers and vital systems. The war ended when basically no more eletronics could function in the continent. Several people got their money wiped from accounts, hospitals could no function anymore, and so on. Country C (that was also destroyed in the process) took the reins and forged a new alliance, unifying them in one country.

The problem is that those AI agents (from both side) went rogue in the system and don't allow any repair in the old network. So a new computer language was created to by-pass them, the thing is this new code can only be input in machines via Human thought (called H-code), this way it's possible to rebuild several softwares and machines destroyed by the rogue agents.

Together with that a certain company created a game that uses this H-code. Once this laguage can litteraly merge with the human brain it was possible to create a full immersion mmo.

This is all the pre-story facts that I could think. I have more datails about how the game is played, classes, RW and GW NPCs, and so on but for now I think that is enough to share in one post.

Sorry again for english mistakes (too long to correct every typo)

Myth

Southern Mane
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The crossover could be due to a number of things -- a new data-storage technique based on the Book of Kells or the Cabbala or medieval alchemy, or a quantum-level chip technology, or a mind-connecting interface.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I might suggest reading a freely available online story called The Daily Grind. It doesn't line up 100% to what you're proposing, but it does have the "we go on adventures outside the normal world, then come back to our regular lives with minor special abilities" vibe that you mention.

Look at hacking / cyber espionage in the real world or in the movies for examples.

1) Industrial Sabotage - a competitor wants to either steal the secrets of the game to make a better game OR a competitor wants to destroy the game because they've stopped making money on their online offerings.

2) Nation States - Maybe North Korea's Kim Jong-un is just pissed that he can't play because of sanctions so he's trying to ruin it for everyone. There are lots of options, though this may be my weakest suggestion.

3) Non-State Actors - religious groups could think it's "ungodly" to do full immension VR. Take your pick of religions or make one up. Religious or non-religious groups might think that the game is "corrupting our children" and take steps to close it. Take a look at the PMRC for a historic (though legal) example.

4) Independent Agents (aka black hat hackers) - Many options here. Perhaps a hacking group wants all the power the game offers, or just for the lulz.

5) Bad Coding - perhaps nobody is actively going after the game, but the game itself had a flaw in the code nobody noticed that slowly corrupts the game. The Y2K bug being a good example of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom