• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[help requested] How To Track Down a PC Game?

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In recent months, I had to take my rig into the shop multiple times, get clean Windows installs on my main hard drive multiple times, etc, etc. I was able to just hop back onto most of my PC gaming without issue, re-installing stuff (or at least finding it in my library) via Steam, UPlay, Battle.Net, Humble, etc...

...but not Witcher 3. I cannot, for the life of me, find out where I bought it.

It's not associated with my Steam account, it's not associated with my GOG account (though my GOG account does show the game in my activity log, just not as a game I own via them), it's not on Origins or UPlay or Humble Store, I got nothing. I searched my email for "Witcher" and didn't find any sort of confirmation email from ordering it however-long-ago-it-was. But I KNOW I had it. On my backup hard drive I could even find a folder of save games (but no .exe) from it (and, again, I had it show up in my activity log on GOG, with some achievements and crap!).

It increasingly feels like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just buy a new copy, but...what say you, VGO geeks/experts? Any other thoughts on how to track down where I bought this mamajama? Any secret tips or tricks on how to track down where you bought something?

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Windows Store? Origin?

If you got a Steam key it would show up on Steam automatically with your account, ditto GOG...

BrianDR

Validated User
Could it have been something you were playing, but was associated with the account of another household member? Something you were playing via Steam family sharing? (Not sure if there's a GOG equivalent of that).

This one sounds stupid, but it's bitten me a bunch of times: Games that aren't were I expect them to be alphabetically in my Steam list, because I forgot I had moved them to my favorites section.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
GOG sounds most likely; I'm not sure how you would get it in your activity feed without having it in your library at some point.

Could you have a second GOG account on a secondary email address? That actually happened to me, though I forget the store.
Could you have gotten it as a graphics card pack in?

Critias

Social Justice Galliard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Windows Store? Origin?

If you got a Steam key it would show up on Steam automatically with your account, ditto GOG...
Nope and nope. :(
Could it have been something you were playing, but was associated with the account of another household member? Something you were playing via Steam family sharing? (Not sure if there's a GOG equivalent of that).

This one sounds stupid, but it's bitten me a bunch of times: Games that aren't were I expect them to be alphabetically in my Steam list, because I forgot I had moved them to my favorites section.
Nope. My wife didn't even have Steam until a few months ago, and certainly never had any interest in this type of game. My favorites is empty, so no dice, there.
If you don't delete your emails, you could have a mail from the store still in your inbox.
I checked my email already, ran searches, etc, and no hits.

GOG sounds most likely; I'm not sure how you would get it in your activity feed without having it in your library at some point.

Could you have a second GOG account on a secondary email address? That actually happened to me, though I forget the store.
Could you have gotten it as a graphics card pack in?
Right? I don't know how it showed up on my GOG activity feed but doesn't show up as a GOG game I own. GOG tech support says it's due to a bug in their system (that it showed up), and they've got no record and I've got no record of buying it via GOG, so they couldn't really help.

Don't forget to check Humble Bundle too.
Already did.

:( I'm increasingly feeling like I'm just shit outta luck here, and will need to bite the bullet and re-buy eventually.

Which, I mean, it's not the end of the world or whatever? But it's just really frustrating, not least of which because I have these few vestigial things (that stray folder of save games, the GOG activity log/achievements) reminding me that, yes, I bought it and played it some already.

BrianDR

Validated User
Could you have played it during a free weekend? I know Steam has those from time to time, not sure if GOG has anything similar.

Top Bottom