• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

🎨 Creative Help With A Disaster Relief/Search & Rescue Superhero Team

NautilusComics

"Insert Famous Quote Here!"
Validated User
Hey all, Nautilus-Comics here.
So I'm currently in the midst of developing a comic book universe and I wanted to do a different take on the classic "team" archetype and have the team, (the Earthwatch) take on a more disaster relief/ search and rescue sort of role, catering to such things like earthquakes, wildfires, floods etc.

My question is, how could I make this particular series even more interesting in terms of character development and interaction, as well as developing possible antagonists?

Anything you have to offer is appreciated 😀

Cheers!

Xander

Validated User
Like Rescue Heroes? :D

That actually is very topical, with a lot of real heroes like the cave rescuers in Thailand or Chile, or wildfire-firefighter crews, or the Coast Guard.

Maybe instead of a fictional account, you could create a graphic novel that shows these real events and explains how they were done, educational-like. Or at least research the real events and techniques and fictionalize it.

Real people standing up to disaster seems more compelling that superheroes, say.

NautilusComics

Validated User
Like Rescue Heroes? :D

That actually is very topical, with a lot of real heroes like the cave rescuers in Thailand or Chile, or wildfire-firefighter crews, or the Coast Guard.

Maybe instead of a fictional account, you could create a graphic novel that shows these real events and explains how they were done, educational-like. Or at least research the real events and techniques and fictionalize it.

Real people standing up to disaster seems more compelling that superheroes, say.
Yeah, I guess like Rescue Heroes 😀

Not to offend, but I still really want to have them be superheroes though - my idea is that their a collection of characters from all around the world who come together to solve these problems. I figured it would be a nice departure from your typical "alien invasion" plot or the like.

zen bullet

Retired User
Look up Team Utopia from the Aberrant game

UN sponsored team that focuses mainly on disaster aversion and only engages other supers when they have a 2:1 advantage because getting beaten to a pulp on a live feed is bad optics

It was exactly that but since Aberrant was interested with the idea of celebrity there was a fun additional layer of having to worry about your morality clause to remain on the team
(And then the hidden conspiracy to spay and neuter heroes as an optional hook)

Not superhero fiction but Anne McCaffery Pegasus in flight was about psychics creating a rescue non profit corp in order to prove they actually existed

Quick question you've outright asked for people to pitch heroes/villians/plotlines at you, but you are creating something you are intending to sell
Actually not so much a question

Your phrasing makes me think there isn't much intention to actually create a fun shared thing so much as you need someone to generate your lore for you
(Although do read it with a rising inflection to lessen the negative impact)

This may not be true but I feel that way because you never kickstart anything with your own ideas

Template post
Hey comics have (galactic wars)
Tell me your (galactic wars)

You may get more responses if you feed the fire with perhaps a third line

This is my (galactic wars)
Or
This was my favorite (galactic wars)

NautilusComics

Validated User
Look up Team Utopia from the Aberrant game

UN sponsored team that focuses mainly on disaster aversion and only engages other supers when they have a 2:1 advantage because getting beaten to a pulp on a live feed is bad optics

It was exactly that but since Aberrant was interested with the idea of celebrity there was a fun additional layer of having to worry about your morality clause to remain on the team
(And then the hidden conspiracy to spay and neuter heroes as an optional hook)

Not superhero fiction but Anne McCaffery Pegasus in flight was about psychics creating a rescue non profit corp in order to prove they actually existed

Quick question you've outright asked for people to pitch heroes/villians/plotlines at you, but you are creating something you are intending to sell
Actually not so much a question

Your phrasing makes me think there isn't much intention to actually create a fun shared thing so much as you need someone to generate your lore for you
(Although do read it with a rising inflection to lessen the negative impact)

This may not be true but I feel that way because you never kickstart anything with your own ideas

Template post
Hey comics have (galactic wars)
Tell me your (galactic wars)

You may get more responses if you feed the fire with perhaps a third line

This is my (galactic wars)
Or
This was my favorite (galactic wars)
Thanks for responding 😀
First off all, Team Utopia and Pegasus huh? Sounds interesting - I'll definitely have a look when I get a chance.

Secondly, I can see your point with my way of phrasing. Like you said, I am trying to create a fun shared universe, but I tend to have creative blocks at some points and seeing these threads help to get my creativity on.

My point is, I'm not expecting you and other people online to come up with everything for me every single time, but occasionally hearing advice and the opinions of others can nudge me in the right direction if that makes sense 😀. In the future though, I'll try and phrase my threads to be a bit more comprehensive.

Once again, I appreciate your input and have a great day 😀

Cheers.

Colubris

If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the real world Incident Command System adopted by FEMA. It'll give you a starting place for where civilians in charge fit in to disaster management (ideally) and may give you an idea for where things can go wrong.

In any disaster you tend to see triage as the rule (do the most good for the most people). This sometimes means leaving people who could otherwise be saved if there weren't one hundred other injured people around. Most of us who have actually had to make that decision struggle with it. I think supers would too.

I can imagine some supers feeling resentful of reporting to a new Incident Commander every time they show up at a new situation (because the system is location-dependent), bucking the structure because they know best, power struggle drama between people with conflicting (but legitimate) priorities.

That power struggle is probably the most obvious source for antagonists.

Top Bottom