• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Help with Celestial Warlock build (cantrips)

SP23

Validated User
I'm starting a new campaign tomorrow and I'm a little torn on my cantrip selection. Half-Drow Urchin Celestial Warlock, I want to be a sneaky combat medic, not too concerned about DPS.

Right now my cantrip selection is:
Dancing Lights - Drow Magic
Friends - (Taking Mask of Many Faces @ 2nd)
Green-Flame Blade (really not sure about his one)
Light - pact
Sacred Flame - pact

Question is, should I even bother with Green-Flame Blade? I don't technically need it if forced into melee, as I can just use Sacred Flame, though I suppose it would be nice if we are fighting hordes of kobolds or goblins.

I'm wondering if I should replace it with Mage Hand, Create Bonfire, or EB? If I take EB I don't have a free invocation slot for AB until level 7, so that seems a waste when I already have a ranged cantrip. I'm leaning towards possibly replaced GFB with Mage Hand, but....... we'll looking for any advice. For that matter I'll have to choose a new cantrip at level 4, so any advice on that also would be appreciated.

If my leveled spells matter, here is what I envision having at level 5. Really focusing on the sneaky support angle.

Cure Light Wounds
Faerie Fire 1/LR
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Suggestion
Darkness 1/LR
Cause Fear
Can't decide on last 3rd level spell, Revivify seems awesome, but I have to imagine that any battle where I need to rez folks is a battle I've already burned through both my slots, unless I play that I always hold onto a slot, which seems very limiting.

Edit: I've decided to delay Friends until 4th level, as it will really come together once I have the Actor feat and Mask of Many Faces, and replaced it with Mage Hand.

Last edited:

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
If it were me, I would ditch friends and take charm person. Friends has a major downside (the target becomes hostile at the end), whereas charm person does not. Also, I think skipping eldritch blast is a mistake. Sacred flame is the weaker choice in the vast majority of circumstances. Taking light for a drow seems double redundant, between dancing lights and darkvision. (Never mind, just saw that you get that for free from your Patron).

Green flame blade seems cool, but there is no questioning the utility of mage hand. Tough call there. If you take eldritch blast, I would skip GFB and get mage hand. No need to have three attack cantrips.

vitruvian

Validated User
I'm starting a new campaign tomorrow and I'm a little torn on my cantrip selection. Half-Drow Urchin Celestial Warlock, I want to be a sneaky combat medic, not too concerned about DPS.

Right now my cantrip selection is:
Dancing Lights - Drow Magic
Friends - (Taking Mask of Many Faces @ 2nd)
Green-Flame Blade (really not sure about his one)
Light - pact
Sacred Flame - pact

Question is, should I even bother with Green-Flame Blade? I don't technically need it if forced into melee, as I can just use Sacred Flame, though I suppose it would be nice if we are fighting hordes of kobolds or goblins.

I'm wondering if I should replace it with Mage Hand, Create Bonfire, or EB? If I take EB I don't have a free invocation slot for AB until level 7, so that seems a waste when I already have a ranged cantrip. I'm leaning towards possibly replaced GFB with Mage Hand, but....... we'll looking for any advice. For that matter I'll have to choose a new cantrip at level 4, so any advice on that also would be appreciated.

If my leveled spells matter, here is what I envision having at level 5. Really focusing on the sneaky support angle.

Cure Light Wounds
Faerie Fire 1/LR
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Darkness 1/LR
Cause Fear
Can't decide on last 3rd level spell, Revivify seems awesome, but I have to imagine that any battle where I need to rez folks is a battle I've already burned through both my slots, unless I play that I always hold onto a slot, which seems very limiting.
I would probably replace Friends and GFB with Eldritch Blast (just in case you decide to take relevant invocations later) and Prestidigitation for its many uses, even over Mage Hand. For 1st level spells, Cure Wounds and either Cause Fear or Charm Person.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
Unfortunately the Warlock is kind of balanced around Eldritch Blast simple because it's so much more powerful than any other cantrip attack(it really should have been a class trait with how deeply they burrow it into the class). Though my favorite houserule for that is that any attack cantrip for a Warlock gains the same attack progression and invocation bonuses as Eldritch Blast.

-Naxuul

SP23

Validated User
If it were me, I would ditch friends and take charm person. Friends has a major downside (the target becomes hostile at the end), whereas charm person does not. Also, I think skipping eldritch blast is a mistake. Sacred flame is the weaker choice in the vast majority of circumstances. Taking light for a drow seems double redundant, between dancing lights and darkvision. (Never mind, just saw that you get that for free from your Patron).

Green flame blade seems cool, but there is no questioning the utility of mage hand. Tough call there. If you take eldritch blast, I would skip GFB and get mage hand. No need to have three attack cantrips.
I'll have the Mask of Many Faces invocation at 2nd level, so the downside of Friends will be less of an issue. I'll also be taking Charm Person at 2nd, but it will get traded out for Suggestion at 3rd, forgot to list that.

I get light and sacred flame from my patron choice, so no choice involved. Ditto with Dancing Lights from Drow Magic.

I'm taking Pact of the Chain at 3rd, so Mage Hand will matter less when I have an invisible imp flying around.

I know EB is the most powerful cantrip in the game, but AB seems like an invocation tax, and I'm the only real healer in the party (not that I'm a very good healer). Part of me wants to avoid EB just for thematic reasons.

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
I'll have the Mask of Many Faces invocation at 2nd level, so the downside of Friends will be less of an issue. I'll also be taking Charm Person at 2nd, but it will get traded out for Suggestion at 3rd, forgot to list that.
You do you, but you have multiple people suggesting ditching friends for charm person at 1st level. I'd start with charm person and cure wounds, as vitruvian suggested.

I know EB is the most powerful cantrip in the game, but AB seems like an invocation tax, and I'm the only real healer in the party (not that I'm a very good healer). Part of me wants to avoid EB just for thematic reasons.
You don't have to take Agonizing Blast. Even without it, eldritch blast is a better cantrip than sacred flame.

SP23

Validated User

You do you, but you have multiple people suggesting ditching friends for charm person at 1st level. I'd start with charm person and cure wounds, as vitruvian suggested.

You don't have to take Agonizing Blast. Even without it, eldritch blast is a better cantrip than sacred flame.
At 1st level I'll have Cure Light Wounds and Cause Fear (traded out for Fear at 5th).

Hey I get it, Friends sucks, but it will be fine at 2nd level. I also have a Disguise Kit, so it will still get some use, and if I'm using Intimidate, who cares if they know they were tricked by magic.

vitruvian

Validated User
On the Friends/Charm Person/Mask of Many Faces thing, even though you could potentially escape the blowback from people realizing you were enchanting them by changing your appearance, it still seems somewhat skeevy for the patron. Mask of Many Faces to slide under the radar is fine in this sense, that emulates what some celestials like devas do all the time and makes sense as a granted ability, and Charm Person, without the blowback factor baked in could be framed as overawing them with your celestial aura, kind of the flip side of Cause Fear. I don't know, RP as you like, I'd still ditch Friends in favor of something else more sneaky, utility, or even defensive like Blade Ward.

Your reasons for not investing in Eldritch Blast make sense - it's really not *that* much more effective than other cantrips until you start stacking invocations on it, and Sacred Flame from your Patron is still respectable considering you're not focused on offense anyway. In fact, it might even be more effective on foes with high AC based on armor rather than Dex. Otherwise, you're going to be looking to sneak around, use your simple weapons, and get close enough to allies to use your Cure Wounds more than be a front line spell fighter.

So, in light of all that, instead of Eldritch Blast and Prestidigitation as your two honest to goodness Warlock cantrips (as opposed to Drow and Patron stuff), I'm going to suggest Prestidigitation and one of Blade Ward, Create Bonfire, and Mage Hand. If you're set on keeping Friends, then Prestidigitation tops the list for your second one.

SP23

Validated User
Healing Light is the main heal with a Celestial Warlock, once I get my familiar I'll be able to use Cure Light Wounds at out to 100 ft range.

I'm kinda leaning towards Mage Hand and Minor Illusion now, trading out Mage Hand at 3rd GFB perhaps, still not sure.

Just because I made a deal with a Unicorn doesn't mean it washes away a lifetime of being raised by Drow, so I'm totally ok with Friends for RP purposes. My characters best friend is a charlatan druid, and we survive on the mean streets by busking, running cons, and other general lawless activities.

Last edited:

vitruvian

Validated User
Healing Word is the main heal with a Celestial Warlock, once I get my familiar I'll be able to use Cure Light Wounds at out to 100 ft range.

I'm kinda leaning towards Mage Hand and Minor Illusion now, trading out Mage Hand at 3rd GFB perhaps, still not sure.

Just because I made a deal with a Unicorn doesn't mean it washes away a lifetime of being raised by Drow, so I'm totally ok with Friends for RP purposes. My characters best friend is a charlatan druid, and we survive on the mean streets by busking, running cons, and other general lawless activities.
Do you mean Healing Light? Because I don't see Healing Word on the spell list either for Warlock or your Patron...

Top Bottom