• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Help with Celestial Warlock build (cantrips)

SP23

Validated User
It's been pointed out to me that by RAW cantrips can't be changed out as one levels like leveled spells and invocations can. So I'm back to thinking Friends and GFB are the best choices, as I think they will both be useful long term.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My thoughts:

EB is nifty. Friends is risky. GFB benefits from that fire-damage-bonus, but you can make it better for a Tomelock.

Why not take Shillelagh? It's not fantastic on it's own-- your stick is now a 1d8 weapon that uses your Spell Attack mods and does damage-- but nothing says GFB needs a blade. If you take both, you can have a melee attack that uses your Spell Attack to hit, Spell Attack damage bonus, then at level 6 is also adding an extra 1d8+Cha mod damage to the target you hit and then 1d8+Cha+Cha to a second target, so if you're at Cha 18, you'll do 2d8+8 to one target, and 1d8+8 to the next. EB is still EB, but I think we can agree that's nothing to sneeze at.

SP23

Validated User
My thoughts:

EB is nifty. Friends is risky. GFB benefits from that fire-damage-bonus, but you can make it better for a Tomelock.

Why not take Shillelagh? It's not fantastic on it's own-- your stick is now a 1d8 weapon that uses your Spell Attack mods and does damage-- but nothing says GFB needs a blade. If you take both, you can have a melee attack that uses your Spell Attack to hit, Spell Attack damage bonus, then at level 6 is also adding an extra 1d8+Cha mod damage to the target you hit and then 1d8+Cha+Cha to a second target, so if you're at Cha 18, you'll do 2d8+8 to one target, and 1d8+8 to the next. EB is still EB, but I think we can agree that's nothing to sneeze at.
This character will be a Chainlock, and honestly, I don't ever want to be in melee, but if I have to be, GFB will be pretty good against both horde fights and just in general once I hit level 6.

I gave the party the option of me being a Hexblade EB killing machine, but the really wanted me to be the healer, so here we are. I'm trying to build a stealthy, trickery based utility healer who can Sacred Flame/GFB if there is nothing better to do, but I'm totally ok not making attacks on the regular.

From reading about the Friends cantrip, it seems it's actually really good for making enemies. With Mask of the Many Faces I'll be able to cause all sort of conflict!

SP23

Validated User
How are you doing 1d8+Cha+Cha to your second target? GFB deals your Charisma modifier in damage to the second target, not weapon damage + Charisma modifier.
It gets better at 5th, and a little bit better at 6th due to the Celestial pact.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
How are you doing 1d8+Cha+Cha to your second target? GFB deals your Charisma modifier in damage to the second target, not weapon damage + Charisma modifier.
"At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8+Spellcasting modifier." My example was specific to 6th level for that Celestial Warlock fire-boosting power to kick in, as I noted.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
This character will be a Chainlock, and honestly, I don't ever want to be in melee, but if I have to be, GFB will be pretty good against both horde fights and just in general once I hit level 6.

I gave the party the option of me being a Hexblade EB killing machine, but the really wanted me to be the healer, so here we are. I'm trying to build a stealthy, trickery based utility healer who can Sacred Flame/GFB if there is nothing better to do, but I'm totally ok not making attacks on the regular.

From reading about the Friends cantrip, it seems it's actually really good for making enemies. With Mask of the Many Faces I'll be able to cause all sort of conflict!
So you'll look like X's ally MrY, cast friends on X while they still think your are MrY. Then scedadle before X realises you are someone else. Suddenly he is hostile to MrY.
Not a bad idea.
And if they are both bad people, something I could see a sneakier celestial doing.
Hmm, not bad, though you get a third at fourth level, might take a ranged attack cantrip, EB is good without ever taking AB, but you might look at another. Or, if you have done OK without it by then, look at the Prestidigitation, Or shape water/control flame. Any of then could let you do thing that an audience would enjoy(animating shapes in water or fire or what have you to enhance a story you are telling while you teammates are doing something else or even just to make some money as a busker, since you mentioned a streets background, that might make some sense).

Top Bottom