• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Hero Wars

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
"I think that will be for the best. There is little to be gained by prolonging the inevitable. A sturdy staff and stout legs will carry me through the herders' ways just fine."

Serzeen drives the butt of her thick staff into the ground for emphasis, soil coming up nearly to the bottom of the runic carvings.
 

Dromio

Registered User
Validated User
Kauri has picked up his saddlebags and javelins. He grins, "Herd paths suit me just fine".
 

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
The Heroes set off cross-country, Dora setting a hard pace and leading the group along shepherd roads that barely qualified as paths; they were simply trails of dirt pounded through the long grass, a bit flatter than the land all around them.

OOC: Kauri, you were a rancher. Are you able to follow these paths easier than the rest? What advice do you have for them?


This far from anywhere, with no walls or homes in sight, it was easy to forget the dire task they had been sent on. You keep marching until it's almost too dark to see. Bed rolls are situated on the cold ground and meals are eaten without cooking. Once darkness falls, you see all sorts of eyes peering in at you and stalking around the edges of the firelight.

OOC: Serzeen, what do you do to safeguard the party when night falls?


It takes a couple days of hard marching, but sooner than you would have guess you are looking over Varanj's Rest. Even from some distance away it's obvious that the village is in ruins; not a single building is intact, either through fire damage or pulled in ceilings or walls. The dry moat around the outskirts of the settlement is full of stakes and many of them have human bodies on them. The village is built into the lee of a granite cliff and a wide, wooden road leads up to the cliff face. At the terminus of the road is a huge wooden frame and a leather screen.

The whole scene was deathly quiet. The only sound was the wind blowing over the desolate remains of the village.
 

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
OOC: Those eyes are friendly, or at least as friendly as creatures of the dark get. They're the insects, spiders, and demons of the dark that I conjure up to watch us while we sleep.


"I've no desire to know the ritual that clearly must have been done here to require such... cruelty, yet I fear that in order to face our opponents we will truly need to learn the depths of their depravity. Does anyone see any movement within the village? I'd hate to walk into an ambush."

Serzeen peers down into the village below.
 

stinkyfool

Registered User
Validated User
Surrak nods and says quietly, "Yes, I want to know I am springing a trap before walking into it." His eyes sweep the village as well, but then he takes a long time looking at the surrounding area as well, looking for any other signs of watchers or anything out of the ordinary.

OOC: Going to burn a recovery.
1d10+2: 12 [1d10=10]
Have to look back, I think I might have burned one before, added a track for them on the wiki for Surrak.
Sorry to be slow, work has been ridiculous, but that should go back to 'normal' tomorrow
 

Dromio

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: Kauri, you were a rancher. Are you able to follow these paths easier than the rest? What advice do you have for them?
Kauri, still a bit in awe of his comrades' abilities, displays some confidence during the hike. "Stay on the path. The animals, whether deer or sheep (and this looks like sheep) will have chosen the easiest and safest path they can. Because I can see shepherd prints, predators may avoid this path in favor of unescorted prey. Don't wander too far off from the group though, there could be something out there just watching for prey to stray from the shepherd's vision."

At the sight of the village he dons his helmet and slides his shield on to his left arm. He makes sure his spare javelins and saddlebags can be easily dropped if necessary. His eyes move slowly over the village, taking in the destruction, looking for movement. Rather than stop his slow left to right visual scan at the edge of the village though, he continues all the way around himself, rotating to take in a full 360 degree view of his surroundings. There's a message in this silence, but he's not yet decoded it.
 
Last edited:

oakfed

Registered User
Validated User
The whole scene was deathly quiet. The only sound was the wind blowing over the desolate remains of the village.
"That explains why they lost contact with this place, sure enough," Ghareen said bleakly.

"I've no desire to know the ritual that clearly must have been done here to require such... cruelty, yet I fear that in order to face our opponents we will truly need to learn the depths of their depravity."
"Might not have been a ritual. Maybe they had captives, and staked some to get the others to talk. They may have been after the same thing we're after." He pondered. "It's supposed to be small..." He had a look for some place that might be a tomb, something unassuming.

 

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
OOC: Ghareen, you remember that Ernalda worship usually happens underground. The only road in the town goes straight up to the cliff-face, and straight up to the leather screen. The leather screen looks to be taller than most of the buildings, and it's blocking your view of anything beyond it.

Surrak and Kauri, could I get rolls for Int + making a battle plan?
 

Dromio

Registered User
Validated User
OOC: I think Caravan Guard would apply here; approaching places cautiously and ambush awareness seem like classic caravan guard stuff. I'll do 1d20+3 (no INT bonus and +3 for Caravan Guard, subtract 3 for a straight INT check).
Roll link here
1d20+3: 21
 

stinkyfool

Registered User
Validated User
OOC:
So basic int is +1, roll here
1d20+1: 16 [1d20=15]
If vow sealer applies, add +5, otherwise could tracker apply which would be +3? Sorting out how to lay things out based on what he sees?
 
Top Bottom