[Heroes of Terra for Savage Worlds] Kickstarter Live (Funded, Now For Setting Discussion)

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
Heroes of Terra

Holy crap you guys, I've been waiting for this (and harrassing Blackwing) for years now! Pulp Fantasy Super Mario is a go!

That said, the preview doc has been out for a while now, and the Jumpstart has been out for a week or two. Has anyone actually run this? Is it as fun as it looks?

Dr. Tran

...I'm NOT a Doctor!
Validated User
Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Adventure Island and the gleaming cities, and the rise of the Sons of Liberty, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars -- Hyrule, with its pointy-eared women and towers of octorok-haunted mystery, Sosaria with its chivalry, Charlock that bordered the pastoral lands of Alefgard, Castlevania with its shadow-guarded tombs, Makaimura whose knights wore lance and armor and boxers. But the proudest kingdom of the world was the Mushroom Kingdom, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Mario the Plumber, black-haired, sullen-eyed, shell in hand, a coin-thief, a box-basher, a goomba-slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the game under his booted feet." -@braincraft, rpg.net forums

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Heroes of Terra

Holy crap you guys, I've been waiting for this (and harrassing Blackwing) for years now! Pulp Fantasy Super Mario is a go!

That said, the preview doc has been out for a while now, and the Jumpstart has been out for a week or two. Has anyone actually run this? Is it as fun as it looks?
Thanks for making a thread, man! I'm glad that this thing is finally underway too! And that we've made 20% of our goal on day 1! For an indie licensee like myself, I think that's pretty good. ^_^

I'm happy to answer anyone's questions about the setting or the Kickstarter. Thanks again to everyone who's helping to make this thing happen!

Aldarc

Validated User
Sounds interesting. I have several friends who are pretty big fans of the Nintendo games that inspire this setting, so I will likely let them know about it.

Dorchadas

一期一会
Validated User
Oh hey, someone else who got inspired by that old thread and made a setting out of it! :giggle:

Terra as described in the kickstarter pitch seems to draw mostly from SMB/SMB3, so I'm curious how much is drawn from SMB2 and adjacent games like Donkey Kong. Is there a society of barrel-obsessed giant apes? Are there Dreamlands being overtaken by a nightmare instigated by some blasphemous, squatting toad-god?

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Oh hey, someone else who got inspired by that old thread and made a setting out of it! :giggle:

Terra as described in the kickstarter pitch seems to draw mostly from SMB/SMB3, so I'm curious how much is drawn from SMB2 and adjacent games like Donkey Kong. Is there a society of barrel-obsessed giant apes? Are there Dreamlands being overtaken by a nightmare instigated by some blasphemous, squatting toad-god?
Actually, Terra predates that thread by a couple of years, though that thread helped gel my original concept into something less of complete parody. =3

Edit: And I had completely forgotten until I re-read that old thread that my original version of the setting was for BESM3E. Man, how time flies. It's bizarre to think that Terra has been germinating in my brain for almost 15 years now. o.o

All of the things you ask about are more-or-less present in Terra, though they likely won't be touched on in this first book. Terra's "spirit realm," the Warp, has its own bizarre reality that lies up against Terra and sometimes influences the sleeping minds of sentient creatures. So there is very much a "dream world," which is also congruous with the Dark World from the Legend of Zelda games. The Mushroom War campaign book mentions a race of ape-men who live in central Lemuria (the main continent of the setting), though they're not playable; one of the other continents has an entire society of ape-like humanoids who will be my paean to Donkey Kong.

If The Mushroom War does well, I already have campaign book ideas for other parts of Terra, including The Dream Lands, The Timelost Empire, Subterranea, and a couple more. They'll likely be a lot shorter than Mushroom War, but I've got a lot of ideas! =)

Last edited:

Dorchadas

一期一会
Validated User
You mention the spirit world, so that makes me wonder how animistic Heroes of Terra is. Are there spirits out in the wild places, or are they hanging out in the Warp and can only rarely cross over? Are they all something you'd never want to meet because they're from the Dark World?

Oh, what's this?

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
You mention the spirit world, so that makes me wonder how animistic Heroes of Terra is. Are there spirits out in the wild places, or are they hanging out in the Warp and can only rarely cross over? Are they all something you'd never want to meet because they're from the Dark World?
Not all spirits are inherently hostile, but most of them are very alien. Beings of pure magical energy look at the world differently than physical beings. "Pure" spirits are those that dwell in the Warp and never have any reason to leave it; they watch Terra "with a thousand eyes," and they can be communed with for information, but they can be more thought of as facets of Terra-as-Goddess' mind than as independent entities. (Side note: There's at least one philosophy in Terra that believes the physical world is Terra's dream, and that when she wakes up, everything will be subsumed back into the spirit world in glorious union with the goddess.) Pure spirits are plot hooks, justifications for certain powers working the way they do (i.e., divination), and general weirdness.

"Impure" spirits are those that have left the Warp and entered the material world, and which often have no way to get back on their own. There are two general classes of spirit-being that people can meet and interact with meaningfully in Terra: elementals and undead. Undead are parasites that devour the energy of the living to preserve their own existence while denied the infinite energy of the Warp, and elementals are those that have bonded with the land itself to become symbiotes who give back to the world while accepting tribute in the form of life energy from the people and animals that live nearby. The Order of the Acorn is entirely devoted to finding powerful elementals and propitiating them with prayer to keep them slumbering, since waking elementals need a lot more power to survive and hungry elementals tend to go on Shadow of the Colossus style rampages.

Portions of the Warp have "congealed," generally around magically-created instabilities that the Warp subsequently tried to encyst in order to stop the physical and spirit worlds from mixing. These "Warp Zones" are places where the physical world influences the dreams of Terra to become a sort of pocket dimension. These pocket dimensions are collectively "the Dark World," a broken-mirror reflection of Terra, Earth, Gaia, and all of the realms that lie across the Warp.

I don't want to give away too much, but The Timelost Empire will explain what happened to the Forebears, the ancient civilization that created the Warp Tunnels and disappeared mysteriously thousands of years ago.

Top Bottom