• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Heroes of Terra for Savage Worlds] Kickstarter Live (Funded, Now For Setting Discussion)

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Also, in case anyone on the KS somehow missed the announcement, you should check your email filters since the raw-text player's guide has gone out to everyone who backer at $5 or more. ^_^

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
The nephews and I played through the Jump Start adventure today. We had four PCs: a noble mandragoran sorceress, hoping to reclaim her ancestral lands; a pudican assassin, who left his clan after they sided with the Dragon Emperor; a burly human carpenter with Smite, basically a mix of Mario and Ike from Smash Bros; and, er, a mute elven woodsman who traveled from far away to locate kinsmen who were kidnapped by a cult which worships a giant disembodied hand. (The kid in question asked if he could be an elf, and the character is clearly trying to be Link. I said sure, and I'll handle any continuity issues when the book comes out.)

It went really well - the boys were raised on Nintendo, so they took to the setting immediately, and the adventure gave everybody a chance to shine. And while they had never played Savage Worlds before, they picked it up quickly; fortunately, it's the kind of game where you can let the five year old play the magic user and it's fine.

In the end, they unanimously decided to go through the Warp Tunnel, and they're all interested in continuing the campaign, so I'll have to come up with something for next week! Perhaps they'll find The Island of Reskinned Monsters . . .

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
The nephews and I played through the Jump Start adventure today. We had four PCs: a noble mandragoran sorceress, hoping to reclaim her ancestral lands; a pudican assassin, who left his clan after they sided with the Dragon Emperor; a burly human carpenter with Smite, basically a mix of Mario and Ike from Smash Bros; and, er, a mute elven woodsman who traveled from far away to locate kinsmen who were kidnapped by a cult which worships a giant disembodied hand. (The kid in question asked if he could be an elf, and the character is clearly trying to be Link. I said sure, and I'll handle any continuity issues when the book comes out.)

It went really well - the boys were raised on Nintendo, so they took to the setting immediately, and the adventure gave everybody a chance to shine. And while they had never played Savage Worlds before, they picked it up quickly; fortunately, it's the kind of game where you can let the five year old play the magic user and it's fine.

In the end, they unanimously decided to go through the Warp Tunnel, and they're all interested in continuing the campaign, so I'll have to come up with something for next week! Perhaps they'll find The Island of Reskinned Monsters . . .
It sounds like it went really well! Elves aren't generally part of the lore of Terra, but there's no reason that the character can't have come from a Warp Zone or something like that. Legend of Zelda stuff definitely fits the setting, and there are going to be a bunch of LoZ-inspired magic items in the full book. Keep us updated on how you continue the campaign! ^_^

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
It sounds like it went really well! Elves aren't generally part of the lore of Terra, but there's no reason that the character can't have come from a Warp Zone or something like that. Legend of Zelda stuff definitely fits the setting, and there are going to be a bunch of LoZ-inspired magic items in the full book. Keep us updated on how you continue the campaign! ^_^
I've deliberately kept everything super vague, so that works.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Heroes of Terra

Holy crap you guys, I've been waiting for this (and harrassing Blackwing) for years now! Pulp Fantasy Super Mario is a go!

That said, the preview doc has been out for a while now, and the Jumpstart has been out for a week or two. Has anyone actually run this? Is it as fun as it looks?
Erm, what? I never heard about this.

Backstory, please?

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
We played again today. In the spirit of all the side games where Mario goes to a new place full of weird people that are never spoken of again, the warp tunnel led to an island inhabited by Sprouts (reskinned halflings) and once ruled by the Clockwork Princess, whose heart was divided into three parts. The boys retrieved the first piece from a kappa garrison, and next week we will be getting our Castlevania on.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Erm, what? I never heard about this.

Backstory, please?
Hi! I'm the author of Heroes of Terra: The Mushroom War, so I can answer any questions you might have. Basic info: It's a Savage Worlds fantasy setting that takes inspiration from the worlds of early-80s Nintendo games like Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, and others. It's a pulpy sword-and-sorcery game with some isekai elements. In the wake of a terrible war, the formerly peaceful Mandragoran Kingdom is in ruins, occupied by the saurian soldiers and fungal berserkers of the Dragon Empire. Fortunately for the people of Terra, the Warp Tunnels leading to the mythical world of Earth have reopened, bringing across the legendary warrior-heroes known as humans.

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Hi! I'm the author of Heroes of Terra: The Mushroom War, so I can answer any questions you might have. Basic info: It's a Savage Worlds fantasy setting that takes inspiration from the worlds of early-80s Nintendo games like Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, and others. It's a pulpy sword-and-sorcery game with some isekai elements. In the wake of a terrible war, the formerly peaceful Mandragoran Kingdom is in ruins, occupied by the saurian soldiers and fungal berserkers of the Dragon Empire. Fortunately for the people of Terra, the Warp Tunnels leading to the mythical world of Earth have reopened, bringing across the legendary warrior-heroes known as humans.
Ah!

So, um, what's the magic system? NES games aren't exactly known for spell-slingers.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Ah!

So, um, what's the magic system? NES games aren't exactly known for spell-slingers.
Like I said, inspired by classic Nintendo games, not a direct port of them. Magic is common on Terra, and humans are innate magic users; every human has a unique magical ability, such as the power to grow huge, shoot balls of fire from their hands, jump great distances, or other miraculous things. Some natural items--such as the mystical mandrakes that grow across Terra--allow heroes to emulate powers they do not normally possess, such as the powerful pyreblooms, red flowers that shoot fire when magical energy is channeled through them.

You can get the Heroes of Terra Jumpstart, a primer to the setting, for free on DTRPG!

Leliel

SJ Road Warrior
Validated User
Like I said, inspired by classic Nintendo games, not a direct port of them. Magic is common on Terra, and humans are innate magic users; every human has a unique magical ability, such as the power to grow huge, shoot balls of fire from their hands, jump great distances, or other miraculous things. Some natural items--such as the mystical mandrakes that grow across Terra--allow heroes to emulate powers they do not normally possess, such as the powerful pyreblooms, red flowers that shoot fire when magical energy is channeled through them.

You can get the Heroes of Terra Jumpstart, a primer to the setting, for free on DTRPG!
Thanks!

Top Bottom