• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Heroes of Terra for Savage Worlds] Kickstarter Live (Funded, Now For Setting Discussion)

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
Sometimes I have the best terrible ideas. I was looking at the old Final Fantasy black mage design, with the big floppy hat and hidden face, and I realized . . . that's obviously a pudican. And then I thought - pudican mages, everybody rides around on giant flightless birds, ancient magitech, crystals acting as magical batteries - all I need is a lost mandragoran colony, and I can keep the nephews busy by riffing on Final Fantasy until the full setting book comes out, and it should all fit into the setting as a whole.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Sometimes I have the best terrible ideas. I was looking at the old Final Fantasy black mage design, with the big floppy hat and hidden face, and I realized . . . that's obviously a pudican. And then I thought - pudican mages, everybody rides around on giant flightless birds, ancient magitech, crystals acting as magical batteries - all I need is a lost mandragoran colony, and I can keep the nephews busy by riffing on Final Fantasy until the full setting book comes out, and it should all fit into the setting as a whole.
You're not wrong at all. =3

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
I am reading through the raw text version of the book right now. I was very glad to see the conversion notes for monsters from the SWADE core book, since I like making the most of available resources. Ironically, my nephews fought a minotaur this weekend, though it was skinned as a ferocious tricerotaur.

Anyway, I like the book a lot. It looks like many of my more goofy ideas can be slotted neatly into Chai. It does highlight some of the gaps in my video game knowledge, though; there are a few entries where I think I get the reference, but I'm not sure, and others where I just know something is being referenced.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
I am reading through the raw text version of the book right now. I was very glad to see the conversion notes for monsters from the SWADE core book, since I like making the most of available resources. Ironically, my nephews fought a minotaur this weekend, though it was skinned as a ferocious tricerotaur.

Anyway, I like the book a lot. It looks like many of my more goofy ideas can be slotted neatly into Chai. It does highlight some of the gaps in my video game knowledge, though; there are a few entries where I think I get the reference, but I'm not sure, and others where I just know something is being referenced.
Like what references specifically? There are tons.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
It does highlight some of the gaps in my video game knowledge, though; there are a few entries where I think I get the reference, but I'm not sure, and others where I just know something is being referenced.
Glad you're enjoying the book! And I'm always happy to answer questions about what I'm referencing in a given thing. =3

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
(I'll put questions in an sblock 'cause the book's not out yet)

Spoiler: Show
I spotted Kirby and both Warios and Pikachu and the Ocarina of Time and the distant continent where Donkey Kong lives easily enough.

Are the Children of the Forest the Link reference? Are the mirror tribe Miis?

And on the next level, Mister Grey feels like he's referencing something really specific, but I have no idea what. And I'm also curious about the brightly colored quetzal and laid back water kappa in Tlaxcalli.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Are the Children of the Forest the Link reference? Are the mirror tribe Miis?

And on the next level, Mister Grey feels like he's referencing something really specific, but I have no idea what. And I'm also curious about the brightly colored quetzal and laid back water kappa in Tlaxcalli.
I'm gonna go ahead an unblock the spoilers, since I think they'll make people more curious than anything else. XD

The Children of the Forest are backer material, and they're pretty much supposed to be a combination of the kokiri and deku from Legend of Zelda. The Mirror Tribe are also backer material, and they're kind of Miis and kind of "generic Nintendo game background characters" who evolve into Wario and Waluigi expies.

Mister Grey is a backer-created character, and he's based very loosely on Tatanga. The parrot-ish quetzals are sort of there to have an excuse for the brightly-colored yoshis you see in Mario games, and pretty much all of Tlaxcalli is an excuse to have Yoshi's Island style family-friendly adventures. The laid-back kappa are entirely because the idea of huge peaceful turtle-men with an islander culture tickles me personally.

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
So much I do not know. It's educational! (I was an early series Final Fantasy guy as a kid, though I completely lost track of the series around XII. Most of my Nintendo knowledge comes from Smash bros.)

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
The nephews have settled in Chai for the time being (specifically the tiny Marigold Kingdom, nestled between the Ivy League and the war-torn Pyrebloom Principalities) and as a result I have a question and a suggestion.

Question first - what's the deal with the near humans? Is there a specific inspiration for them, and where do they fall on a scale from Donkey Kong to Ayla from Chrono Trigger?

And the suggestion - according to the book, Mandragorans in a Before the Fall game get Obligation rather than the racial enemy. I think that works better for modern-day outsider mandragorans as well, rather than Uneducated. (Though now that I type that, I suppose it depends on context - an outsider mandragoran in Chai is going to be hit harder by obligations than one in what's left of Agaric.)

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Question first - what's the deal with the near humans? Is there a specific inspiration for them, and where do they fall on a scale from Donkey Kong to Ayla from Chrono Trigger?
They're somewhere between Donkey Kong and the titular characters from Joe & Mac. So basically your typical video game Neanderthals, ranging in hairiness as your game necessitates.

And the suggestion - according to the book, Mandragorans in a Before the Fall game get Obligation rather than the racial enemy. I think that works better for modern-day outsider mandragorans as well, rather than Uneducated. (Though now that I type that, I suppose it depends on context - an outsider mandragoran in Chai is going to be hit harder by obligations than one in what's left of Agaric.)
The setting assumption is that mandragorans from Agaric have an extensive primary education but are very hampered in their social mobility by the demands of their culture. Outsider mandragora are less educated but lack the hierarchy that binds them into their social roles. But if you prefer it a different way, go for it!

Top Bottom