[HeroQuest] Communities

True Blue

Retired User
The more I think about it, the more I find myself considering running a game of HeroQuest as ideas of all sorts just flood into my brain. However one area I'm uncertain on is communities.

Who here uses communities? What kind of communities do you use? How big? What kind of skills/attribute do they have? What skill/attribute levels do they tend to have? Do you use the Questionnaire method? If so how many questions do you typically have?

I'm especially interested in the Questionnaire as I think its a great method of getting the players involved in the game. However while HQ2 has some good stuff about communities in general, it doesn't really go into the questionnaire much. The only good example of one I have is the Clan Creation from Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, which is quite excellent.

Basically I'm looking for examples and advice on community usage from which to draw inspiration from. The variety of ideas I've had leave me completely unable to focus on any one thing in particular.

One example idea I've had, and perhaps the most "grand" would be the players being the various Rulers, Generals and Governors of a small nation set in an 17th-18th century style world of imperialism, colonialism, expansionism and exploration. The "Community" is an entire country whose stats are Diplomacy, Wealth, Morale, Army, and Navy. I have no idea how I'd personally pull that sort of thing off in the long run, but the very fact its actually doable in HeroQuest is mind blowing. :eek:

Tancred

All over the shop
Validated User
HQ 2 currently still on its way to me, so other than giving the interesting topic a bump, I've not much to add.

I'm hoping it can handle the interaction between different factions at a kind of meta level - in between sessions focussing on the player characters directly, I can have epilogues representing factions going to battle, sabotaging their 'allies', and portray the wider events the characters are involved in (a lot like Reign I guess).

My plan is to stat up communities to reflect revolutionaries, mercenary companies, black marketeers, noble factions and the like for a late medieval fantasy game set in a city in the middle of civil war.

Charles Green

Sorcerer of some Repute
Validated User
I've got an urban fantasy/private eye book in the works that uses the Community rules to describe witch covens, supernatural law firms and the player-character's detective agency.

It was mostly listing what resources are available, and describing what sort of resources best reflect one type of agency over another.

This is one of the aspects of HeroQuest I appreciate the most. It's flexibility really does let you do nearly anything with it.

Nel

Validated User
I'm currently playing one of my HQ2+Mythic long-run campaigns based on Finland post-Kalevala:

This time it's about a Carelian nomad clan and its leader, this way I get two foci: The leader himself and his adventures plus the clan development.

The clans have these stats: Cohesion, Goods, Magic, Diplomatic force and Military force.

I play two games with the leader every season, so that he can spend time handling the clan affairs.

And I roll the clan evolution every season, so I get ideas for future plots based on the previous games with the leader and the development of the clan.

lawstaff

Chaosium
Validated User
Who here uses communities? What kind of communities do you use? How big? What kind of skills/attribute do they have? What skill/attribute levels do they tend to have? Do you use the Questionnaire method? If so how many questions do you typically have?

I'm especially interested in the Questionnaire as I think its a great method of getting the players involved in the game. However while HQ2 has some good stuff about communities in general, it doesn't really go into the questionnaire much. The only good example of one I have is the Clan Creation from Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes, which is quite excellent.
Thanks! My players use their clan Magic and War resources quite often, and periodically invoke their Morale resource to withstand the growing dark times. They rarely use their Wealth resource (the clan is collectively pretty poor) and never their Peace (they are a War clan).

One example idea I've had, and perhaps the most "grand" would be the players being the various Rulers, Generals and Governors of a small nation set in an 17th-18th century style world of imperialism, colonialism, expansionism and exploration. The "Community" is an entire country whose stats are Diplomacy, Wealth, Morale, Army, and Navy. I have no idea how I'd personally pull that sort of thing off in the long run, but the very fact its actually doable in HeroQuest is mind blowing. :eek:
I'd focus on the actual "community" of the ruler - perhaps the resources of his house and lands, and those troops truly loyal to his house. So, frex, if I were playing Oliver Cromwell, my "Community" might be the New Model Army. Or if I were Napoleon Bonaparte (in a game set during the Directory), my community might be the Army of Italy. If I were playing a Dutch captain, perhaps my community is the city of Amsterdam. Really though it is whatever resources you want the players to be able to draw on in order to overcome obstacles.

Frex, I have notes for a game set in the Thirty Years War where your community is your mercenary company.

Does that help?

Jeff

Top Bottom