• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Historical Games Thread

durecellrabbit

Validated User
My son is a big Sienkiewicz fan, but he’d have to start painting some figures ...
Not just any figures, lots of dashing cavalry!

Speaking of which: Link to Kickstarter.

I know I'd never use them, but holy crap those are beautiful.

You can't tempt me, I'm sticking with 15mm. The period does have lots of lovely looking armies, especially if you ignore the westerners and their scruffy German mercenaries.

RSDean

Validated User
Not just any figures, lots of dashing cavalry!
Yes, and that’s part of the problem. He has actually started collecting figures, but he’s committed to keeping most of his projects in 1/72 scale. For the Polish/Lithuanian Commonwealth that involves some converting, and a need to track down a cache of out-of-production Revell 30 Years War figures, as best I recall. Someday, perhaps, but he’s busy getting married this summer, so that’s not the one gaming project that he’s making time for (painting some Reaper Bones to provide a pool of figures to support a D&D game...). In 1/72 scale, he’s also got a 19th century imaginary countries project, a fantasy project, and a Bronze Age Hittite and opponents project on his plate.

Scutarii

Validated User
Double posting with the monthly painting thread, I hope no one minds.

It's a bank holiday weekend here in the UK so I have put off 'being an adult' until Monday and painted up some stuff instead (these were primed beforehand and 6 were painted prior to this weekend, the remainder were all done today)

4e Division Légère Mécanique, 10e Régiment de Cuirassiers, 1er Escouadron

Constituted as of May 1940, commanded by Colonel Ham. Went into action on the night of the 17th May 1940 performing reconnaisance and delay. From that point on the regiment fights in every engagement of their division and remains in combat with the enemy right up until 20 minutes before the formal cease of hostilities.

Motto "Fight without fear, without reproach"

To add some variety on the table I'll probably collect 2er Escouadron (motocyclistes) and a few bits from the divisional support (once I've researched the assets the division had to pass around of course!)

I tried to find the names of the individual soldiers assigned to each peoloton so I could label each vehicle with the names of their crew but my French was not up to the task :(

More below
Spoiler: Show

Handigar

Validated User
Double posting with the monthly painting thread, I hope no one minds.

It's a bank holiday weekend here in the UK so I have put off 'being an adult' until Monday and painted up some stuff instead (these were primed beforehand and 6 were painted prior to this weekend, the remainder were all done today)

4e Division Légère Mécanique, 10e Régiment de Cuirassiers, 1er Escouadron

Constituted as of May 1940, commanded by Colonel Ham. Went into action on the night of the 17th May 1940 performing reconnaisance and delay. From that point on the regiment fights in every engagement of their division and remains in combat with the enemy right up until 20 minutes before the formal cease of hostilities.

Motto "Fight without fear, without reproach"

To add some variety on the table I'll probably collect 2er Escouadron (motocyclistes) and a few bits from the divisional support (once I've researched the assets the division had to pass around of course!)

I tried to find the names of the individual soldiers assigned to each peoloton so I could label each vehicle with the names of their crew but my French was not up to the task :(

More below
Spoiler: Show

Nice vehicles! What system are they for?

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
My FLGS is hosting a day of historical gaming this week. I’m running demos of Saga, but there’s also going to be Team Yankee, Cruel Seas, Chain of Command, Blood and Plunder, Sharp Practice, etc. It’s great we can get so much interest in games like that with this group. Hopefully we’ll get some converts.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just ordered the Starter Set and British Fleet for Cruel Seas.

Yes, I live in a land-locked state.

Scutarii

Validated User
I just ordered the Starter Set and British Fleet for Cruel Seas.

Yes, I live in a land-locked state.
Do tell us what you think. The game being announced got people axcited about naval games but no one wanted to play with small boats, they wanted the big ships so we went that way instead.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
My club play Cruel Seas sometimes and seem to enjoy it, but the one time I tried to get a game of it my opponent forgot to bring the rules so we had to do something else.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do tell us what you think. The game being announced got people axcited about naval games but no one wanted to play with small boats, they wanted the big ships so we went that way instead.
For me the appeal IS the small boats. Big battleships shooting at each other is great, but I like the idea of a scrap between small ships. No glory, no headlines.

One of the scenarios in the rulebook is a British force of a Vosper and two Fairmile MTBs and a Flower class corvette trying to stop two S-boats, two flak-ferries, and a minesweeper from crossing the map to land some troops. That sold me - it is exactly what I want in a naval wargame.

Any game where the arrival of a Destroyer is a game-ending event is right up my alley.

Top Bottom