• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Historical Games Thread

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
Cruel Seas has a big booster at my FLGS. He's having a ball making terrain for it. I sat in on a game where they played the scenario with the landing craft. The game plays well, and looks pretty unique on the table. Naval games don't usually catch on around here.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We've got one of those boosters in my group. He went through a quick game with me and got me hooked. Admittedly that wasn't hard - I used to really like old small-scale naval games back in the day like Schnellboote and Action Stations, and the models for Cruel Seas are really nice.

Naval games are also unpopular here - I think part of this has to do with the fact that there isn't an ocean within 800 miles or so. When I lived in NJ or San Diego naval wargames played more, and I think it has to do with the fact that there was more of a ship/navy presence.

But I still love the idea of painting and pushing around little Vospers and shooting at E-boats, so I'm in.

Anyone have any cool pictures of tiny British ship camouflage schemes?

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am seriously considering painting a few of my ships Mountbatten Pink.

That's Mountbatten Pink and Blue B20, which corresponds to Vallejo 157 Dark Blue Grey.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It was called "Mountbatten pink." It looks like there was a "dark" and "light" version. Apparently it is still used in fashion:

The idea was that it would make ships harder to see at dawn or in the red skies of twilight. It doesn't seem to have worked very well - it stood out in all other conditions - but it would make for an interesting alternative.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes - but at the same time, that was arguably the time when the little ships were most active.

It is my understanding that a number of the ships used in the raid on St. Nazaire were painted like this:

Edit: Box art from a model:

Last edited:

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A co-worker of mine 3d printed a ship for the game for me:

I think I'm going to need to buy a 3d printer at some point.

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
Wow!

Replacing the card counters for the bigger ships will make the game look much better. I watched the setting up part of a demo recently, and the card counters for the freighters really didn't look good next to the painted E-boats and MGBs.

And the quality of the stuff that can be 3D printed really should keep some miniatures manufacturers awake at night. It's not as if you can copyright the look of Liberty ship or a Maus.

Top Bottom