• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Hogwart's Musings] Should the House System be Abolished?

Eric the .5b

Hail the Milleni-odel!
Validated User
if there's about three hundred pupils (4x75) in each year group from founding through to the end of the novels, that's, well, 0.3 million Hogwarts students ever.
And probably much less if the UK wizarding world population over time has any relationship to UK muggle population over time.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that no wizard prior to Voldemort ever tried to take over the world (or the UK, for that matter.) If nothing else, I think you could easily get a Ravenclaw/Slytherin teamup where the Slytherin wrangles things so the Ravenclaw can delve into more and more forbidden research that the Slytherin plans to use for conquest.

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
The division of the houses generally sees Ravenclaw team up with Slytherin, with Gryffindor working with Hufflepuff.

Going back a bit, Crabbe and Goyle were purebloods as well, as were the Patil twins and a couple Hufflepuffs (Ernie whoever and his sidekick).

DisgruntleFairy

Validated User
The division of the houses generally sees Ravenclaw team up with Slytherin, with Gryffindor working with Hufflepuff.

Going back a bit, Crabbe and Goyle were purebloods as well, as were the Patil twins and a couple Hufflepuffs (Ernie whoever and his sidekick).
I thought the Slytherin and Hufflepuff tended to team up. Where as the Ravenclaws and Gryffindors tended to ally. But maybe I'm miss remebering.

Jinx999

Validated User
Unless there are unusual circumstances, such as Potter vs. Cedric, you generally see Slytherin vs. G+R+H in the books and Slytherin seems wildly unpopular outside their own house.

Isator Levie

Validated User
I suspect Slytherin was a better place through most of Slughorn's tenure, not least because I think he'd be less lenient with the worst excesses. Probably more popular among the general student body than Snape was.

The Slug Club has its issues, but it seems to also be a group that inherently crosses House boundaries in a way that few others do. I can imagine that in its heyday, it fostered friendships between Slytherins and others.

Rachel Cartacos

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
And probably much less if the UK wizarding world population over time has any relationship to UK muggle population over time.
Though I wonder if, in the past, the Wizarding population was a bigger percentage of the UK population than it is today, based purly on that Wizards have likely had better healthcare, especially for childhood diseases, than the muggles did for a long time...

Eric the .5b

Hail the Milleni-odel!
Validated User
Though I wonder if, in the past, the Wizarding population was a bigger percentage of the UK population than it is today, based purly on that Wizards have likely had better healthcare, especially for childhood diseases, than the muggles did for a long time...
Dunno. We might have to wait for a random tweet. :)

Grumpygoat

Validated User
I thought the Slytherin and Hufflepuff tended to team up. Where as the Ravenclaws and Gryffindors tended to ally. But maybe I'm miss remebering.
Just looking at reality - as in, both the people who associate themselves with certain Houses and just about where I'd peg folk into respective Houses - Slytherin and Hufflepuff, then Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, are a lot more common than other combos.

Top Bottom