IC [HomebrewSupers] Zero Day

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019. Zero Day +1. Morning

Ramona and Tim

The usual morning crowd of bike messengers are gathered, drinking coffee, and gossiping about the weird events. Dave Hernandez, the dispatcher, an older Hispanic man, calls out to Tim. "Hey Carter! Took your time. Here." He tosses a soft-pack envelope to Tim. "Rush for the Federal Reserve. Details are in the app. Get a move on."

Dave scans the over the other couriers and spots Ramona. "Banderas. You're actually here, huh? Nice of you to show up." He walks over and hands her a large manila envelope. It's addressed to an Alex Daniels. "Get going."

OOC: Dave is always a bit of a taskmaster. You know you can take the time to chat a little before heading out on your respective jobs, if you want.

Alex

Alex gets an email from one of his clients, an architectural firm, letting him know that they're sending the details on the design project on an SSD card by courier.

Craig

OOC: OK, so here's our first actual interaction with the system! The police officer opposes with his Background (4), he's a cop, and he's used to having to manhandle people, so Craig's Physical (3) can't succeeded automatically. Craig rolls a total of 3d6 (dice equal to his Physical), and gets a 6, 5, 6. The highest die he rolled is compared to the police officer's, which is a 6. But! He also rolled a double, meaning +1 is added to his highest die, making it a 7. Craig easily brushes aside the police officer!

Craig shakes off the police officer and runs off. The police officer just stands there, reaching out, looking lost. "I... just wanted to help."

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
OOC: I'd have thought that Craig's background would have applied, but not a big deal. Just trying to understand. It doesn't actually make much difference.

Craig runs, his panicked mind screaming, Shit, shit, shit! That was a cop! Assault on an officer! Felony! Run, idiot, run! Craig turns the corner, and then the next, running down an ally, parallel to the street he was just on. Then he's back at the hotel. He whips out the keycard, swipes at the side exit, and then he's back inside. He bolts up the stairway next to the exit, up to the third floor, and then back into the room the suit rented.

Door closed behind him, he takes a couple of seconds to catch his breath, then whips off his coat and shirt. He steps into the restroom, wets his hair quickly, and slicks it straight back. Then he opens his small duffel bag, pulls out a different tee-shirt, and his flannel shirt. He pulls on the tee-shirt, throws on the flannel, and leaves everything untucked. Then he pulls on a ballcap, before shoving the coat in the duffel and zipping it up. He takes a couple of deep breaths, and concentrates, trying to force his hands to stop shaking.

He closes his eyes, telling himself, I don't look the same. I don't look like the guy that shoved the cop. I'm a different guy. Just some calm, Average Joe, just a normal guy. I don't look like a junkie, don't look like a rough guy, don't look like the kind of guy that pushes cops.

Craig openes the door, and calmly walks down the hall, trying to play it cool. He walks down the opposite way then he'd taken to his room. He finds the elevator, gets in, and pushes the L button. As he leaves the elevator, he passes the nook with the restrooms, and catches sight of his reflection. It isn't him in the mirror. Instead, it's some middle aged guy with a bulbous forehead, weak chin, greying blond hair peaking out from beneath the cap, and clean shaven. Craig runs his hand over his jaw, and feels that he's clean shaven. He hadn't shaved in days. But the evidence is right there, in the mirror, on a face that isn't his. As a matter of fact, he looks like a drug councilor he'd had, the last time he was in the joint. He was the same guy that ran the AA and NA meetings. Calm, peaceful guy, looked like he wouldn't hurt a fly. Craig even has the guy's double chin.

Craig shakes his head, walks into the open area near the lobby, but goes into the breakfast room. He grabs a plastic cup of orange juice, orange juice always seems to help the DTs, and sips the juice as he walks out the front door again, a totally different guy than he was ten minutes ago. But this time, he walks the opposite direction from the cop he saw last time. Just play it cool. You're not gonna see that cop again, and even if you do, he's not going to recognize you again. Just play it cool, get to your stash, then go for a long walk, get out of the neighborhood... Head to the park. Haven't been to Central Park in ages. Yeah, the park's a good place to disappear...

OOC: Lemme know if Craig's stuff is still behind the dumpster. If so, he'll pack the essentials that he doesn't already have in his duffel, which will include the "heroin" he stole from Fast Eddie. I figure that he's probably a mile or two from there, since he got taken to "the suit's" hotel room. He'd have hidden his stuff and the drugs, but it would close to the dumpster. If he happens to see cops though, in the ally or whatever, he'll just keep walking and abandon the rest of his stuff and the drugs.

Last edited:

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Sure, Craig's background could have applied if you thought it should have (that's the general philosophy at work in the system; the player has a lot of leeway to determine what their power or background can apply to). I just wasn't sure which you were using since it wasn't stated. For example, Craig could have also used his Power by saying that his super-healing meant he could exert himself momentarily in a way that would normally tear muscle or tendon, since his body would just heal the damage he inflicted on himself.

Last edited:

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The usual morning crowd of bike messengers are gathered, drinking coffee, and gossiping about the weird events. Dave Hernandez, the dispatcher, an older Hispanic man, calls out to Tim. "Hey Carter! Took your time. Here." He tosses a soft-pack envelope to Tim. "Rush for the Federal Reserve. Details are in the app. Get a move on."
Oh, sorry, Dave. I was testing my new superpower, Tim thinks, catching the envelope midair with unusual dexterity, but keeps it to himself.

Dave scans the over the other couriers and spots Ramona. "Banderas. You're actually here, huh? Nice of you to show up." He walks over and hands her a large manila envelope. It's addressed to an Alex Daniels. "Get going."
"Hey, Ramona. What's up" was what Tim wanted to say, but instead the words that came out of his mouth were "Hola, Ramona. ¿Que pasa?", in a perfect New York Puerto Rican accent.

He immediately feels the rush of blood to his face, which turns bright red. "Uh... Sorry about that."

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ramona replies to Tim in Spanish, "Hey, how's it going? I didn't know you spoke Spanish. Hell, you sound like you grew up speaking it." She frowns and says, still in Spanish, "Sorry for what?" She wonders if he thinks she thinks he was making a pass at her.

The Watcher

Validated User
Now that he has become competent at utilizing his powers, Alex decides to put them to practical use. As he watches CNN while waiting for the courier he was emailed about to arrive he also works on expanding the interior size of his place, attempting to make it bigger on the inside without changing its exterior dimensions. Though not blatantly so.

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ramona replies to Tim in Spanish, "Hey, how's it going? I didn't know you spoke Spanish. Hell, you sound like you grew up speaking it."
"Uh... I had this girlfriend... Jenny... She spoke... Uh... Fluently. Anyway...", Tim blurts out in Spanish as well.

She frowns and says, still in Spanish, "Sorry for what?" She wonders if he thinks she thinks he was making a pass at her.
"Oh. I mean, I didn't want you to think I was mocking you or, I don't know, misappropriating your culture. We cool?"

As they walk their bikes outside, he says: "Crazy day, huh? Do you know anyone who got superpowers last night? That must be wild."

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ramona says, "[Spanish]Oh, I think it's great that you went to the trouble of learning Spanish. The people who get me mad are the ones who says the US should be an English-only country. Or the idiots who hear me use Spanish and tell me to go back to where I came from and don't know that Puerto Rico is part of the US--though I was born and raised here in New York anyway[/Spanish]."

In response to the question about superpowers, she says, "[Spanish]I, uh, got home late last night and didn't really check in with any of my friends. Anyway, even if I did, it's not my business to spill their secrets. I mean, who knows how this will play out? I don't think it will be like the comic books, where the government allows people to run around in their underwear acting as vigilantes. What if the government decides all the supers have to work for them and treats any super who won't as a threat to be put under FBI surveillance or locked up?[/Spanish]" She starts to say, "I'm not taking that risk," but bites it off before she reveals anything.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019. Zero Day +1. Morning

President Ronald Victor's Tweeter

i DEMAND that the LOSER DEMONCRATS retract ALL CLIAMS that these SO CALLED supermen are the resul of Russian collusion!

My advisors I have the best advisors the best people huge brains very smart let me tell you assure me that these events are the due to LIBERAL HOLLYWOOD crisis actors! Don't believe the FAKE NEWS, esp. the FAILING TIMES OF NEW YORK!

We will not let these FAKE supermen stop the real supermen American PATRIOTS from Making America Great Again!

Craig

Craig hustles to where he left his stash, only to find it gone. Based on what was taken, it was probably another homeless junky. Regular thieves wouldn't have taken his spare socks. He gathers up what little is left and heads to Central Park.

OOC: I have plans for you at the Park, but I'd like to see what you do when you get there before I spring them.

Alex

Alex finds that he has limits. It seems like the more dimensions, length width, depth, he tries to affect at once, the harder it is. But he also finds that he can connect points. Like making the doorway from his bedroom connect to his study upstairs instead of the hallway. But it requires him actively visualizing the space he's manipulating, really stretching his mental muscles.

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"[Spanish]I, uh, got home late last night and didn't really check in with any of my friends. Anyway, even if I did, it's not my business to spill their secrets. I mean, who knows how this will play out? I don't think it will be like the comic books, where the government allows people to run around in their underwear acting as vigilantes. What if the government decides all the supers have to work for them and treats any super who won't as a threat to be put under FBI surveillance or locked up?[/Spanish]" She starts to say, "I'm not taking that risk," but bites it off before she reveals anything.
[Spanish]"Whoa. I hadn't thought of that, I mean, the government. Uh... Maybe the comics do get it right, then, and w- these people should band together for protection,"[Spanish] Tim replies, hopefully saving his involuntary coming out.

When they get outside, he says: [Spanish]"You have a really good insight on this, Ramona. I'd love to pick your brain some more. Can we get coffee later?"[/Spanish].

After a beat, he adds: "Uh. This is not a pass, by the way."

Top Bottom