• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Horror Movie Recommendations

Balac

Validated User
What kind of horror are you looking for? It's a pretty wide genre with a lot of what get's classified as 'horror' not being particularly scary but more shock and gore.

In general I'd say Hereditary is one of the best actual horror films of recent years. Disturbing, unpredictable and likely to linger on in your memory.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
I haven't seen huge amounts of horror, but It Follows is intensely scary with very little actual gore. (Content warning for a few scenes of gore/blood, nudity, and a depiction of sexual assault.) The whole film plays out a sort of suspense that had me constantly scared breathless for the protagonist.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
I haven't seen huge amounts of horror, but It Follows is intensely scary with very little actual gore. (Content warning for a few scenes of gore/blood, nudity, and a depiction of sexual assault.) The whole film plays out a sort of suspense that had me constantly scared breathless for the protagonist.
Seen it, good stuff!

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
What kind of horror are you looking for? It's a pretty wide genre with a lot of what get's classified as 'horror' not being particularly scary but more shock and gore.

In general I'd say Hereditary is one of the best actual horror films of recent years. Disturbing, unpredictable and likely to linger on in your memory.
I like pretty much anything as long as it's not vintage. Haven't seen Heritage, so that's good

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Definitely movies, or are TV shows ok?

How about horror-themed comedy (eg. What We Do in the Shadows)?

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Byzantium is a vampire drama, one of the few times you see vampires having to worry about money. It's got fantastic performances from Gemma Aterton and Saoirse Ronan, an excellently different way of making vampires, and the most poignant feeding scene ever set to film.

Haunter (not a typo) is a ghost story from the perspective of the ghost (unlike most films like that, it's not a twist - it's meant to be obvious from the get-go), though she's being assailed by other horrors too.

As Above So Below is about urban explorers and what they find under Paris. It's not found footage, but it is filmed entirely through cameras the cast are carrying in-character - it's one of the few films where this is used to good effect.

Dark Signal. About which I can say very little without spoiling it.

Balac

Validated User
You could probably save time by just looking through the regular horror thread but top of my head:

-Train to Busan. South Korean zombie film and the best of it's kind in years.
-The Babysitter. Horror comedy. Not deep but a lot of fun
-A Dark Song. Slow, moody film about attempting a magic ritual. Drips atmosphere.
-Apostle. A man infiltrates a religious cult and...well knowing more than that spoils a lot. Avoid watching any previews of this one as they give away far too much.

Top Bottom