• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Horror, probable spoilers] Midsommar

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
Apparently the original cut was something like 3 hours and 40 minutes. I'm sure there was some interesting stuff in there, but...man, I can't even imagine.
Fuuuuck.

It's not a pacey movie, can you imagine an extra hour of it?

Elvis Waxman

Inhuman Morokanth
Validated User
An adaptation of Phil Rickman's Merrilly Watkins novels or of one of MR James' cathedral set horror stories (though not 'Canon Alberic's Scrapbook').
There was a TV adaptation of Rickman’s Midwinter of the Spirit a couple years back. The highlight was the guy from Shameless as an Anglican exorcist - he did a spiel about demons getting humans to do their bidding that sent shivers up my spine.

Elvis Waxman

Inhuman Morokanth
Validated User
On the topic of religious horror, I thought Witch worked because it showed how a set of beliefs, even if they are true, can actually make your situation worse, because of how it can trap you, or make your responses worse. So, its Calvinist horror in a way that the Exorcist isn't Catholic horror, because Catholicism doesn't make the Exorcist situation worse.

The last of which I actually think would be an interesting twist on the possession film, if the demon is both simultaneously true, but, responding to it with Catholicism actually makes the situation worse, because the belief structure limits the available responses. However, it also would be a very different movie from the Exorcist.
What you’re talking about actually sounds similar to the TV series ‘Outcast’, although the exorcist there was a Protestant. It was decent to start with, but I have to say I preferred the trashier (but much more fun) Exorcist TV series.

Killer300

Validated User
What you’re talking about actually sounds similar to the TV series ‘Outcast’, although the exorcist there was a Protestant. It was decent to start with, but I have to say I preferred the trashier (but much more fun) Exorcist TV series.
Interesting. Does Catholicism in that make the situation worse somehow? Because that sounds interesting.

Elvis Waxman

Inhuman Morokanth
Validated User
Interesting. Does Catholicism in that make the situation worse somehow? Because that sounds interesting.
Hmmm. Well like I said, the exorcist is Protestant in that series. It’s more a case of him realising too late that his efforts have been futile and that the ‘demons’ aren’t what he thought they were.

Killer300

Validated User
Hmmm. Well like I said, the exorcist is Protestant in that series. It’s more a case of him realising too late that his efforts have been futile and that the ‘demons’ aren’t what he thought they were.
That is interesting.

But yeah, I'm picturing a version of the Exorcist where, while the demon was bad, trying to exorcise the demon makes it worse, and the story ends with the priest getting brutally murdered by the demon.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fuuuuck.

It's not a pacey movie, can you imagine an extra hour of it?
We do have a little insight into what was cut:

- A big argument between Dani and Christian, reminiscent of the dinner table scene from Hereditary
-Some more exposition regarding the community and their rituals
-A LOT more weird ritual stuff
-Things that would give us a slightly clearer indication of the passage of time

On that last one, Aster says that the film's final sequence takes place on only day 4 or 5 of the festival, which raises the question of what happens during the remaining several days.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
We do have a little insight into what was cut:

- A big argument between Dani and Christian, reminiscent of the dinner table scene from Hereditary
This, to me, seems like a good thing to cut. Both of them are pathological conflict-avoiders (count the number of times either of them tries to take a stand and either immediately backtracks or tries to weasel themselves into a miserable compromise). I think the ending works because it offers Dani an out without having to fight for it.

Top Bottom